• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    Start here

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlobBlob Frets: 7
    jhumber said:
    soma1975 said:

Watched that doc on him on Netflix ....
    Which documentary is that? Big Zappa fan, just searched Netflix UK and couldn't see anything there. Thanks
    There's a couple of Zappa documentaries on Prime at the moment. 

As for albums Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Shut up and Play your guitar.

Lucky enough to see him in 1988, now that was some gig, like nothing else I've seen before or since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:
    So basically all the albums...
    Yeh, it's a big catalogue. I don't really listen to Zappa anymore but I'd probably say find the  Zappa Plays Zappa/ Dweezil Zappa stuff that's on YouTube.  A lot of the stuff of Frank on film is really hard to watch whereas the ZPZ stuff is just normal concert footage and it's effectively curated listening so take what you like from that and then go find the original sources. 
    Dweezil seems like the nicest guy in the world and anything with him talking about playing or gear or just the world in general is worth watching. 
    Strangely I have owned a couple of Zweezil albums but no Frank ones. 
    His own stuff not the same as when he does Zappa Plays Zappa ( which is called something different now but I forget) which is only Zappa back catalogue with quite a few of the original musicians either in the band or guesting. He went to a lot of lengths to make it authentic effectively relearning the guitar in the style of his father; in terms of YouTube content it's just much more watchable than stuff of Frank's own period. YMMV etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Blob said:
    jhumber said:
    soma1975 said:

Watched that doc on him on Netflix ....
    Which documentary is that? Big Zappa fan, just searched Netflix UK and couldn't see anything there. Thanks
    There's a couple of Zappa documentaries on Prime at the moment. 

As for albums Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Shut up and Play your guitar.

Lucky enough to see him in 1988, now that was some gig, like nothing else I've seen before or since.
    Oh it might have been Prime, sorry. The one about him disbanding the original Mother of Invention band
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2983
    Start with The Mothers.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    It should be obvious from the replies above that there is no single Zappa album that conveniently encapsulates FZ's entire career.

I suppose that you could go by phases. By modern expectations, the original line-up releases are fairly crude. Hot Rats is when the studio craft really begins to show. The Flo & Eddie period is silly but shot through with tricky musical parts. The Chester Thompson, George Duke, Ruth Underwood period has jazzy leanings. 

Some of the humo(u)r relies on running gags that re-appear across the decades. Conceptual continuity. 

On a complete tangent, I suggest that the DVD, The Drummers Of Frank Zappa from the Drum Channel.com could prove informative. Bozzio, Humphrey, Thompson, Underwood and Wackerman discuss their time in the band and play some of the music. Once you get what the drummers were doing on the compositions, it becomes easier to understand what the other instruments are hanging on top.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Woah woah woah I didn't get into this game to listen to what DRUMMERS have to say.. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3456
    brooom said:
    Covered in my 73 to 76 recommendation :)
    An underrated album IMO is Make a Jazz Noise Here. But maybe that's because I'm a huge Kennealy fan.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    I think it depends on what you like to listen to. Zappa was pretty diverse.
    Some of the 70s satirical groupie stuff is a bit weak for me. I prefer hot rats and the early mothers stuff. A best of might be a good primer to choose albums from which songs you like come from. I've just counted. I have 35 zappa albums, and I admit there's a few I can't immediately remember anything about. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I really enjoy some of the Zappa plays Zappa concerts on YT (I don't know if that makes me a heretic)

Also Dwezil Zappa's course on fretboard freedom is superb. Great if you want to get out of the blues cliche box.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I really enjoy some of the Zappa plays Zappa concerts on YT (I don't know if that makes me a heretic)

Also Dwezil Zappa's course on fretboard freedom is superb. Great if you want to get out of the blues cliche box.

Not at all! Dwezil is crazy good nowadays, and this performance featuring Vai is one of my favourite cover/live versions out there. The whole band is just insane.

(My personal pick is always going to be Overnite Sensation for albums, though)

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Love Zappa’s music. Have a good chunk of his 100 odd albums. The YCDTOSA series is a good place as any because (as another poster mentions) it spans his career. But it's live. Other live stuff worth considering is the Philly ‘76 and the Hammersmith Odeon releases.

For studio, maybe Hot Rats for the avant garde, but i love some of the stuff on You Are What You Is.

As with any prolific artist, there’s the good and the bad. And there's some great tracks that keep coming back. The Torture Never Stops for instance.

I think my first was Tinsel Town Rebellion or Does Humor Belong in Music?

FZ himself said his favourite lineup was from around 75-76. So maybe start there and work you way out?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    Another vote for the '70s stuff like Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe ('), Roxy & Elsewhere, Zoot Allures.  They're probably the most accessible if you're coming to FZ as a rock fan.

I also really like Them or Us, which was the first I bought as a new release - it has a couple of tracks featuring great solos from a very young Dweezil (plus Steve Vai).
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Funny, me and a lad at work were listening to Zappa earlier today, both of us crying with laughter.

Joe's Garage
    You Are What You Is
    Hot Rats
    Apostrophe
    Shut Up N Play Your Guitar

It's all good stuff. There's a lot I've not listened to, so I'm gonna have a Zappa fix over the next three weeks. Ike Willis and Ray White are bloody brilliant btw!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7219
    Watched the ‘Apostrophe ‘ Classic Albums documentary on Prime overnight and it was very good , I have to watch this stuff at silly times as the rest of the family can’t stand Zappa !

As far as favourite albums go - Hot Rats and  Overnight Sensation for me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    The one he did with Beefheart, Bongo Fury is worth a listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12406
    Freak out, Roxy and Elsewhere, You are What You Is, . impossible to say really  Check out the Roxy video on Amazon Prime. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    beed84 said:
    Ray White
    “The assistant Illinois Enema Bandit.”
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Strat by taking whichever of his records you choose, snap it in half and throw it in the bin to protect your ears!

Obviously not serious about not giving it a chance. For some reason I really wanted to like him for a long time and kept giving him loads of chances over years but it would always just sound like some of the worst music I'd heard.

I truly think we all get different things out of music and enjoy it for different reasons. I think people who like him must get different things out of music than I do.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom