Does anyone else have an acoustic 'just in case'?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited March 2020
    The bass player in my old band has a bass Just in Case.

This isn't a joke, it's an actual case brand from the 1990s .

Basically an early Hiscox copy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yes, same here. I can't get into acoustics really - I've tried cheapies, on the basis that it doesn't matter (PRS SE, D'Angelico),only to find out that it does matter to me. I've tried an Alvarez Japanese built thingy, an SJ-100,  a J-45, An Atkin Forty-Three, an LG-1, A Taylor 322e(?), a Gibson Blues King etc and haven't really found one that I'm bothered about.

I did try a nice Martin 000-18 a while ago, and thought I'd like one of those, so that's what I've currently got. Even then, it took experimenting with low-tension strings to get it to where I was comfy with it. It's lovely, but I could sell it tomorrow and not miss it.

It wouldn't miss me either, I'm sure.
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Yep  Taylor 814, SJ200, D28.  I love an acoustic no effects just the sound
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I have an acoustic "because"
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I have two one on a stand pretty much gets played everyday another hanging up which is my main go to acoustic for open mics (when we could still leave our homes). My tele is kept in a case ;)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited March 2020
    I used to keep mine around for this reason and it got played maybe once in the last year, so I decided to sell it. No point just having it sat gathering dust. Plus it has freed up my 2nd wall hanger for another electric which is infinitely more fun

I just don't know what to play on an acoustic to be honest. I know 2 fingerstyle versions of songs and that's it.  
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    I do generally prefer electric but I like having an acoustic for a wee strum now and then. I tend to sing more when playing acoustic. 
    Maybe that's part of my problem. I once heard a recording of my singing, and it was a tough listen. 

Lol there is that  :3
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have a Martin D16, very nice guitar, and I hate it. I play it maybe once a year. You never know when a dep gig might come up where you have to stand there strumming like a muppet
  • For me it's a seasonal thing, summer = acoustic. I have a Taylor 114 and have no urge to play it over winter and put it into storage. Now the sun is shining, I am thinking about getting it out of it's gigbag. I was growing a bit tired with the Talyor super brightness, lets see how it sounds with fresh ears.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    I like 3 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 bass.

I have 4 electrics and 2 basses, so I need to correct that.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Between us, myself and my wife have 5 electrics, 2 electro acoustics and 1 one dreadnought acoustic. I learnt on acoustic and I still play one - not as much as electric but if I'm finger-picking or song-writing then I'll often turn to an acoustic. It's part of playing the guitar for me. Can't think of any artist I like that doesn't play an acoustic at some point tbh.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    What else could I use to annoy people in parks?

Just one more thing that Covid 19 has stolen :(
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • No....but I’d like one.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    Over the last 40 years I've owned about 130 guitars.  Only 1 was an acoustic.  I bought it because I thought I "ought" to have one, but I never played it very much, although it was quite nice.  Sold it after a few years.

I think there was something to be said for the fact that it was physically harder to play, so when I picked up an electric straight afterwards it felt great.  Same when I've tried to play bass, it always felt good to go back down to the shorter scale and thinner strings.

Apart from the playability, I do struggle with the size and body thickness of an acoustic, I feel like I'm having to stretch to reach around it and it makes my right shoulder ache.  More trouble than it's worth.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited March 2020
    My daughter has 'borrowed' my Yamaha FG140 jumbo acoustic, but I also have a Washburn EA30 electroacoustic. The body is a little thinner but still quite acceptable as an acoustic provided I can be bothered to restring it. Only problem is that as I haven't played it for quite a while my finger tip skin has softened and I'd have to wean myself back on it as otherwise I'd get blisters on my right finger picking hand as the strings are a fair bit heavier (I use Martin lights but these are still heavy as compared with 9's)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    Cols said:
    I can find no better words than those of Keith Richards:

“I would say that the acoustic guitar is the most important thing for a guitar player to start with. Learn the feel and the touch of the string and what it does against a fret. Learn that and then you can add the effects later on. You want to be a guitar player, you have to have your grounding. It’s like anywhere else. An astronaut doesn’t start in space, somebody’s got to build a rocket.”
    For a brain addled junkie he sure talks a lot of sense
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I play both.  I love the dynamics of an acoustic and I've been told that I hit the strings too hard!  I do most of my writing on acoustic too, regardless of whether it is a heavier song or a ballad.  I like the immediacy of being able ot play and sing the words as I'm writing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16121
    "In case" of what .........a power cut ?
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Dominic said:
    "In case" of what .........a power cut ?
    I read it as that’s the point of this thread. Unless - “in case Metal is banned after the virus clears and we all have to wear Aaron Sweaters and become folkies.” 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i have 3 acoustics. I probably only play one every few weeks but when i do i might play for a couple of hours. I would hate to not have one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom