Does anyone else have an acoustic 'just in case'?

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    I have 5 acoustics:
    • A Fender classical guitar, which I got on freecycle for nowt; it's got a neck like a tree-trunk and the strings are wider apart than my bass.
    • A nice Ovation Celebrity. I am having difficulty finding a case for it, though.
    • Another (Ovation) Celebrity (I don't need this one - it lives in a case).
    • An (Ovation) Applause (bought before I bought the above two, also lives in a case).
    • A (Martin) Sigma DM1S, which one of my sons has.
    I've also got a mandolin and a ukulele.

The nice Ovation and the uke.

The grey Celebrity.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    I have a £10 boot sale Swift acoustic hanging round the living room in case I want a quick strum or to work something out.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Complete opposite for me. Two electrics in the rack and another custom build on the way, but I’m 95% acoustic-only!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Electric guitars will be no use when technological civilisation breaks down. Whereas with my trusty acoustic people will give me food to shut up. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I see guys doing this and it makes me want to play acoustic. Then I remember I'm not anywhere close to that good.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I have an acoustic IN its case. Been in there for about 3 years now. ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    gringopig said:
    Electric guitars will be no use when technological civilisation breaks down. Whereas with my trusty acoustic people will give me food to shut up. 
    A Les Paul to the back of the head and you are sorted for toilet roll and fresh chicken.
    and now you’ve broken your LP - firewood, too!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    I see guys doing this and it makes me want to play acoustic. Then I remember I'm not anywhere close to that good.
    It would have helped if he'd tuned his guitar, as it made it painful to listen to what would otherwise have been an interesting rendition!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16133
    Yes but not particularly difficult to play.....
    Try watching Doyle Dykes for 5 minutes or Tommy
    Whether you're pretty hot on acoustic or electric you'll still feel terribly inadequate
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Dominic said:
    Yes but not particularly difficult to play.....
    Try watching Doyle Dykes for 5 minutes or Tommy
    Whether you're pretty hot on acoustic or electric you'll still feel terribly inadequate
    I saw Tommy Emmanuel live in Brighton way back in 2003. Absolutely unbelievable performance. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I only play acoustic, nowadays..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• StuobStuob Frets: 35
    I`ve acoustic, an elec one and a cheap 12 string elec one. We play different types of gigs.

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    For me, acoustic guitar is the root of all I do. Then again, I do have approx 25 acoustics and as many again electrics.I often (but not always ) start a track ( I write for TV and Film) on an acoustic and it turns into an orchestra, lots of pads / ambience and lastly electric , without a hint of the original acoustic. Maybe not "just in case", but ,certainly, essential.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3596
    I have a Taylor nylon. I've found it more demanding of technique than electric or steel string acoustic. It's a great training ground and it makes you realise how much extraneous power people apply in most situations, not to mention how little advantage they take of the subtleties of pick technique.

My steel string is an old Washburn with a baseball bat for a neck. If my job survives Coronaggedon, a more playable one is definitely on the cards. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I have gone from being mainly an electric player for 20 years to almost solely acoustic + singing now.... I played acoustic on and off throughout that time but now I wish I'd just played acoustic and sung only. It's a more complete package. You play entire songs. You get the timbre of the voice in there. People will sit and listen. Unless in a band, I don't see the point in playing electric anymore. I'll keep it up, but I really wish I'd done the acoustic singer/songwriter thing a lot more now.
    I also massively prefer anything with singing in it to instrumental only. 
    Here's my last three:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2020
    You need to have the voice in there. It just adds so much. 
    Need to learn how to sing
    Been listening to a lot of Eva Cassidy lately - brilliant.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    You need to have the voice in there. It just adds so much.
    Nah. Both with and without are good... at least if you play as well as that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein