Favourite Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited March 2020
    blobb said:
    Schnozz said:
    ........ I did have a John Birch 4001 as one of my first basses...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32788909147_15a667236c_k.jpg
    Snap!

https://i.imgur.com/4UN5LTC.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I also liked the Wood & Tronics VM Signature when it came out...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/3e/29/363e29b579e4d735c28820436af375c4.jpg
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Currently this Epi Jack Casady

Massive tones on tap!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Practising at home I love all three of my basses. If I was forced to pick I'd possibly pick the Schecter J but then picking that just makes me realise even more that I like the other two just as much. When with the band though, if I'm playing the J or Stingray, I always end up wishing I had the P so the real answer is Fender 50s Precision (re-issue, not vintage).

Re: the OP video - in purely my personal view I just can't understand why someone would have a bass with extra strings to play a part that isn't a bass line. Just doesn't compute with me why they wouldn't use a guitar if they wanted to play a part like that.

My view is quite possibly bizarre to someone else, almost definitely I suppose considering people do play those parts on extended range basses. I just think of instruments as functional tools in music and it just makes sense to me to use the most appropriate tool for the function.

Like if your screwdriver had a big thick handle you could use it to bang in nails but why not just use a hammer?
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Bucket said:
    I'm very fortunate in that I own my favourite bass - my 5-string Warwick Thumb NT.

Wanted one forever, and finally grabbed it in November. It is not very versatile and far too heavy, with very weird balance, and I couldn't give a shit about that because it is utterly wonderful.

That said - I still want a 4-string passive P, and a white Thunderbird too. But they're wants, not needs.

I have one of these.  I have had it for 23 years and its done hundreds of gigs.  I also have a 6 fretless and it sounds utterly amazing.  But my favorite is Stage 2 5.  Big Warwick fan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    For electric bass it has to be a musicman. they are the bridge between the fender types and the modern fancy ones. Any style, sorted. 

However, my personal favourite is an NS NXT eub.there's something about double bass and the NS is as close as I'm going to get without buying a van.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Upon due reflection, I concluded that I do not have a favourite bass guitar. I like whichever one sounds right for whatever Project I am working on at the moment.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Upon due reflection, I concluded that I do not have a favourite bass guitar. I like whichever one sounds right for whatever Project I am working on at the moment.
    ...And a Jazz Bass for yoo
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I guess my favourite bass is my Modulus Graphite 5 string, as I use it more than any of my other basses, though my 66 Precision has a great growl which the Modulus just can't get.  Here's a picture of it.  It has a custom set of Bartolini pickups and their preamp, which I was lucky enough to be able to spec when I met Bill Bartolini at NAMM in about 1994.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ahh bravo ^
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    edited April 2020
    Schnozz said:
    blobb said:
    Schnozz said:
    ........ I did have a John Birch 4001 as one of my first basses...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32788909147_15a667236c_k.jpg
    Snap!

https://i.imgur.com/4UN5LTC.jpg

I want one of them!

I do have a selection of other fakers.

But never had a John Birch one.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Bass is all about the neck and pickups for me. Neck is most important, I prefer a narrow, deep, U neck shape and pickups with a wide variance in tone. My ideal, based on previous instruments I've owned would be a Jazz neck on a Rick 4001S body. But in the absence of that my recently acquired Hofner Artist 185 is the nearest I've come to perfection. The neck, for me, is actually preferable to a Jazz, as it's narrow all the way up the fretboard (I really wish more basses were built this way). There's a big tonal difference in the sound as the bridge pu sits at the bridge (think Tele style attack). It's still in the honeymooning stage but I really think I've finally found a life partner.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

My favourite for neck and sound was a MM Bongo 4HS, I didn't hate the look of it it, but it wasn't a beauty.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Paul_C said:

My favourite for neck and sound was a MM Bongo 4HS, I didn't hate the look of it it, but it wasn't a beauty.

I really liked the Egyptian Smoke finish - The bassist that played with Johnny A and opened for Joe Satriani had a 6 string and then Dave La Rue came out with a Blue Pearl one and both sounded great live.

I desperately wanted one, but most were 10lbs+ so I stuck with my Kubicki.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    I’m quite enjoying this.
    https://i.imgur.com/QdZjxZ7.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yep. Even tho it needed major surgery... still this one..

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Pleased to hear it still pleases you. Sometimes basses and guitars are not quite the same after repair. I have a brilliant godin A5 fretless. Split top and bridge pulling away. Came back better than ever from Bass Gallery.

I thought we'd see a Precision photo from you....
    GuyR said:

Pleased to hear it still pleases you. Sometimes basses and guitars are not quite the same after repair. I have a brilliant godin A5 fretless. Split top and bridge pulling away. Came back better than ever from Bass Gallery.

Oh I love a good precision. The 64 is a cracking bass.. but the Shuker is, even after repair, sublime as a fretless. There’s something about the tone you get from the combination of an under board jazz pickup with saddle piezos which creates a really rich sound that seems to cut through no matter the style of music
    GuyR said:

Oh I love a good precision. The 64 is a cracking bass.. but the Shuker is, even after repair, sublime as a fretless. There’s something about the tone you get from the combination of an under board jazz pickup with saddle piezos which creates a really rich sound that seems to cut through no matter the style of music

I do find the Shuker very appealing, a very good looking and functional design. Are the lighter patches wear, or part of the look? What was the repair?
    GuyR said:
    GuyR said:

I do find the Shuker very appealing, a very good looking and functional design. Are the lighter patches wear, or part of the look? What was the repair?
    The lighter patches are just patterns in the wood. 

The truss rod exploded and split the back of the neck. 

The whole neck was rebuilt as a result.. massive undertaking as well.