Line 6 relay or Boss WL wireless guitar systems

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
I really like the simplicity of the G10 and WL20 but the G75 is on offer everywhere at a great price.

Anyone have experiences with these?

Presumably the G75 is the one to go for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use the G70, but got it at a decent price, not dissimilar to the G75 offer price. 

Works flawlessly. Upgraded from a G10 and a G30. 

I've seen the Boss in use though and it's pretty good. I'd just worry about breaking it. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I've had the G50 for years without major problems, a great piece of kit so I would assume the latest series would be good if not better. Line 6 do good digital stuff.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283

I've seen the Boss in use though and it's pretty good. I'd just worry about breaking it. 
    Yes - or losing it :-). I have a WL20 and it's absolutely super. Never run out of juice when used for an evening's gigging even when not bothering/forgetting to switch off between sets. Zero difference noticeable sound-wise from a cable. In 3 months of regular use, has never not worked, never dropped out, never shown susceptibility to interference. I nearly bought one of the cheap ones. Sure glad I didn't.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Had a G10. Broke three times - the third time Line 6 said they couldn't repair it so gave me a refund.

Bought the WL. Been great so far.

Other issue with the G10 was the power supply inlet port. Flimsy was an understatement. Don't know about the G75 on that front.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    Had a G10. Broke three times - the third time Line 6 said they couldn't repair it so gave me a refund.

Other issue with the G10 was the power supply inlet port. Flimsy was an understatement. Don't know about the G75 on that front.
    G70 takes a standard 9v from a power brick or it's own plug. Much better than that stupid micro USB idea. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I have used the G10 for about 3 years and agree on the power supply issue - mine broke inside but was replaced without quibble even out of warranty as it was a known issue.

In saying that - the new version of it has a 9v power supply and looks to be a lot better - I love it as I don't need to think about or carry batteries and it easily lasts a few gigs and a rehearsal although even if low you can plug it in when setting up and it will have plenty for the gig!

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Hattigol said:

G70 takes a standard 9v from a power brick or it's own plug. Much better than that stupid micro USB idea. 
    The newer G10S also has a standard 9v input.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Just to throw a massive curve ball in, the shure GLX16 is amazing wireless  system. I’ve had mine for a few years now and has never let me down. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I am on my third wireless system - first G10 and then smooth-hound both failed in the middle of a gig. Now using the boss WL60. Works great and i like the pedalboard format. I have had the odd dropout when testing the range but not when using it at gigs for soundcheck etc. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I am a bit more drawn to the Boss but such a big discount on the G75 is tempting and built in tuner is a cool feature.

It sounds like reliability is really the main issue with some units rather than any of them not having a decent sound.

I will mostly use it at home (part of my wireless home rig idea).
  • Just to throw a massive curve ball in, the shure GLX16 is amazing wireless  system. I’ve had mine for a few years now and has never let me down. 
    My friend had one but the power adaptor plug end was so flimsy the wiring chewed up and ended up cutting out a lot during shows. A proper kettle lead plug would be a lot sturdier.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited March 2020
    I've been using an L6 g75 for less than a year. While I was away on a trip it stopped working and on closer inspection there were parts rattling about inside. I opened it up and found two components that look like capacitors having come loose from their solder connections. The connections were surface mount, not through the circuit board.

The unit was never treated roughly, kept in a semi-rigid case in fitted foam. It looks like the production design is very flawed and Line 6 know this.

I bought a tiny, cheapo Wingo 5.8ghz wireless system and then c19 hit. Trials at home suggest the Wingo is fine. The guitarist in one of the bands I work with uses the Boss wl50 and it's been pretty flawless. He uses a 90° angle connector to avoid having it sticking out of the  being guitar and being vulnerable.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Vaiai said:
    I have used the G10 for about 3 years and agree on the power supply issue - mine broke inside but was replaced without quibble even out of warranty as it was a known issue.

In saying that - the new version of it has a 9v power supply and looks to be a lot better - I love it as I don't need to think about or carry batteries and it easily lasts a few gigs and a rehearsal although even if low you can plug it in when setting up and it will have plenty for the gig!

It isn't. I bought the new base unit for that very reason after three trouble-free years with the original flimsy plastic unit and it dropped signal so much it was unusable. 

It's not just my experience either, I sent it back for a replacement and Line 6 have dropped it because it was such a common fault, giving me a refund instead. 

Funnily enough, all of the previously excellent wireless systems in our band have started to play up over the last few months, I'm wondering if we're reaching saturation point with phones and WiFi and will have to give them up eventually. 

I've already gone back to guitar leads for important gigs. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    You might also look at the Smooth Hound Classic which is a designed and made in the UK and has been faultless for me for three years. I got amazing customer service as well; I dropped my guitar on the bottom edge and it landed on the transmitter. It was repaired and back with me in two days from the manufacturer.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    You might also look at the Smooth Hound Classic which is a designed and made in the UK and has been faultless for me for three years. I got amazing customer service as well; I dropped my guitar on the bottom edge and it landed on the transmitter. It was repaired and back with me in two days from the manufacturer.
    Mine failed at a gig - i think it was the power supply. It was intermittent so when amazon said send it back for a refund i took it rather than mess about. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    sw67 said:
    Mine failed at a gig - i think it was the power supply. It was intermittent so when amazon said send it back for a refund i took it rather than mess about. 

I bought mine direct from the manufacturer's web shop and had amazing customer service when I needed it. My receiver is on my pedalboard and is fed from an onboard power supply so have rarely used the included PSU. My bass player also has one powered by the included unit and his has also been fine for the last three years.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Just to throw a massive curve ball in, the shure GLX16 is amazing wireless  system. I’ve had mine for a few years now and has never let me down. 
    My friend had one but the power adaptor plug end was so flimsy the wiring chewed up and ended up cutting out a lot during shows. A proper kettle lead plug would be a lot sturdier.
    I power it with my Zuma so that’s wouldn’t apply to me. However, I’m sure a better power supply could be bought?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited April 2020
    I like the Line 6 stuff - though not tried the 70/75.

Had my G90 for 7 years now and its been rock solid..... AND I bought it used.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited April 2020
    In the past I have owned the Line 6 G10, G30 & G50, the Boss WL20, the smooth Hound and the Shure GLXD 16. The only one that performed perfectly was the Shure system. I had dropouts with all of the others at some point and the Smooth Hound was very noisy with the pedals I had at the time.

The singer in my band uses a Digital Wireless Senheiser Mic which runs on the same 2.4ghz band as all of the above systems. So a lot of the problems I had were down to that. It never seemed to bother the Shure system though.
  • I researched this hard and plumped for the Boss. I've been delighted with it. I made up a couple of cables with a female stereo socket at one end and a plug at the other to allow me to mount the transmitter in pouches I fitted to a couple of straps . The second cable I use to position the receiver on the board then connect to the first pedal in the chain so that it doesn't protrude over the edge of the board, lest it gets accidentally stepped on. Brilliant bit of kit and its Boss so....... I trust it. I've had Line6 gear fail but never had a failure with any Boss kit.