Line 6 relay or Boss WL wireless guitar systems

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have a G10T - doesn't have a USB port.  It worked perfectly for two days and then died - lights are on, fully charged, no wireless link.  Is being returned.  Hopefully its replacement will last a little longer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I've had the G30 for years and never had any issues. I still have it and I like the fact that it runs on regular (and replaceable) rechargeable batteries. I had the G10 and whilst I never had issues, that micro USB port is a failure waiting to happen. I used one of those magnetic breakaway charge cables but was still not confident in a gig situation. Replaced it with a Boss WL-50 which is great although, like all of the rechargeable units, I know the built in rechargeable battery will eventually render it obsolete. That'll be a while though...... ..
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    FYI - theres a safety recall notice on the Line6 G10
    @rossyamaha may be able to comment

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12924
    gjonesy said:
    FYI - theres a safety recall notice on the Line6 G10
    @rossyamaha may be able to comment

Its not a "recall" as such, but they are urging a firmware update as a safety precaution:

https://uk.line6.com/g10recall/#english
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited May 2020
    I have the Line 6 G10 Relay that I picked up 2-3 years back brand new from Bax under a special offer for £80 (and when the G75 was 3 x the price or even more) and it has worked flawlessly with never a single drop-out and the range is more than plenty even on a bigger stage.  Huge advantages are that it's very light and compact, there's no 'pop' when you plug in/unplug, holds its charge for ages, cuts off automatically when not in use and reactivates itself as soon as you plug in and 'strum', really easy to unplug & put in another guitar, and you don't need batteries or have to wear a receiver...but if you haven't used it for a while you may have to just recharge it first.  I use a Vox Tonelab SE for gigging so I don't need to connect it to a pedal board power supply. But even if I wanted to do that, I bought a simple connector that cost less than £2 just in case I wanted to use it with my conventional pedal board power supply.  

But having said all that at the price the G10 Relay and G75 are going for now (£149 and £159 respectively from Andertons), I'd go for the G75 because of it's higher spec.  When I bought it for £80 the G10 Relay was a bargain 'no-brainer' but at £159 or less the G75 is now the no-brainer.      
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    CHrisP86 said:

Presumably the G75 is the one to go for?
    For me, G30.  Because:
    No drop outs.
    Range way above 30m.
    Interfaces with standard equipment:  AA batteries; normal instrument cables.

RELIABLE.

500+ gigs with mine.

Necessary modification:  couple of rubber bands to hold the battery door flush to the body.  Sorted.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3663
    My G30 has served me well for many years.  The only problem that I can recall was starting a gig with myself and the other guitarist both playing on the same channel.

I only use mine for sound checking these days so that I can go out front to check balance.  We seldom get a stage big enough to move about and going into the audience is strictly forbidden (after watching another middle aged band where, at one point, 3 of them wandered off into the audience - it was buttock-clenchingly embarrassing).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    Bump for current thoughts 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417
    I've just purchased the Boss WL50 - and it's excellent. I was previously using a Shure GLXD16 (which is very well thought of, and is professional grade gear). However, I noticed a lot of interference sometimes on the shure, and the wireless pack was a bit bulky when trying to practice.

The WL50 is superb, and I love the dongle. No issue with the tone or sound - I'd highly recommend it.
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    edited August 2021
    Had a G30 for 7+ years. Once I'd switched it back to RF1 mode (or was it back to RF2 mode - can't quite remember) it was absolutely faultless* for all those years despite all the other wireless gubbins going on nearby - the router and tablet for the mixer (although that's set to 5gHz only), the bass players L6 G75, wireless DMX, and Bluetooth Midi. Not to mention all the phones/wifi/bluetooth in the venue. The clip on the back of the G30 transmitter broke early on, but I didn't care because it lived in my front pocket to facilitate easier guitar swaps - and to point it in the direction of the receiver. Had an idea to add an external antenna to the receiver (I work with RF), but haven't yet felt the need to. I added a bit of velcro to hold the battery door closed, as the batteries falling out is a common issue.

*faultless apart from the time I whacked some high-power lithium AAs into it. Lithium doesn't have the same discharge "slope" that alkaline has, so the battery life was 100% right up until it fell instantly to 0% - 3 songs into a gig. Since then I've used Ikea rechargeable AAs that seem to last several gigs before needing a charge.

Despite buying the WL-60 over lockdown, I'd never sell the G30. I've yet to gig with the WL-60 but it has got a tough act to follow! I always, always have an 8-metre cable sat right by my pedalboard should the worst happen. I've never found the "cable-tone" settings on either of them very useful.

What I like about more the G30
    • The receiver has a 3-stage transmitter battery life indicator. The WL-60 has a green/red LED on the transmitter instead
    • Very simple LEDs for transmitter battery life and received signal strength

What I like more about the WL-60
    • Frequency scanning - with more overall channels to choose from
    • The ability to just bang a cable into the side of it if things go wrong
    • Newer tech (the G30 has been around since 2009)
    • Slightly better form-factor - a bit smaller than a Boss compact pedal