Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Neat! (What is it?!)
    Meathead :) had all the parts except for the BC182L. One knob is enough for me with offboard wiring for now

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2010/10/dam-meathead.html?m=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    roberty said:
    Neat! (What is it?!)
    Meathead :) had all the parts except for the BC182L. One knob is enough for me with offboard wiring for now

Ah, nice & fuzzy :)

It’s actually quite good I’m not a big fuzz guy otherwise is build EVEN MORE... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    @stickyfiddle got a link to that copper paint? Looks ace
    edited April 2020
    It’s this stuff, but in copper. I can’t actually find any links to the copper one in the UK, so no sure if it’s available there. V similar tho to Hammerite which is definitely do-able

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-271480-Universal-Hammered-Burnished/dp/B00FQCWJ42

FWIW it’s actually a little slow to dry - once I started installing parts in the case I realised it was still just a tiny bit “sticky” to the touch, and I’ve already managed to ding it just a smidge on one edge. But overall it still looks good :)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Having been alerted to it in another thread, I fancy building a Multiplex Echo Machine. 1776 Effects supply the PCB but they are closed until the Zombie Apocalypse dies down. Ah well, that will have to wait for another day...
    roberty said:
    Neat! (What is it?!)

Yeah it's fuzz is properly addictive. These are the ones that aren't on my boards plus some bonus rats because rats

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That makes me happy. And the Rats. I’m on 4 right now (standard Rat2, Fuzzdog Rat, JHS All-American clone build and the new copper 1981). I have the Fuzzdog Sunn Life Octaver/Rat doom box on its way, which should be very interesting indeed
    edited April 2020
    That makes me happy. And the Rats. I’m on 4 right now (standard Rat2, Fuzzdog Rat, JHS All-American clone build and the new copper 1981). I have the Fuzzdog Sunn Life Octaver/Rat doom box on its way, which should be very interesting indeed
    Mate the life clone is on my board. It's amazing but very noisy so you'll want a gate. I went off script with the clipping diodes. Sounds absolutely monstrous with the octave dialled into about 8-9 o'clock. You'll be very very happy with it I am sure
    edited April 2020
    Excellent! It’s not my usual thing at all, but I’m always happy to try anything interesting, especially when it’s a home-build
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    That Quaverato looks great. I'd love to try one but not enough to build one :D 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Violet Ram Pi all built except for the input socket, which hasn't arrived yet. Is it just me, or is the hardest part of Fuzzdog kits getting the nut onto the 9V socket? I tried the pedal without the switch, and it does work. Apparently the LED doesn't light up if you install it the wrong way round, not that I would ever do such a stupid thing...

Temporary knobbage in place. Not sure what I will put on there long term. Also I probably won't keep the sticky labels as they very quickly pick up dirt round the edges. I'll probably do a waterslide decal. Full gut shot to follow once complete.

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134

First ever pedal build, Meathead clone, little help from the in house art team
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Neat! (What is it?!)

Yeah it's fuzz is properly addictive. These are the ones that aren't on my boards plus some bonus rats because rats

I would love to hear these! We need a GAS fest
    edited April 2020
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Neat! (What is it?!)
    Meathead had all the parts except for the BC182L. One knob is enough for me with offboard wiring for now

Ah, nice & fuzzy

I would love to hear these! We need a GAS fest
    Yeah there's some interesting ones in here for sure

Lost track of time testing the meathead out, it's probably one of my faves, definitely through the practice amp anyway. It's always different at full pelt

I don't know how to mount vero so I use velcro tape and stick it to the back of the pot. I adapted a vertical pin mount pot with a small bit of vero.

I reused the housing from a Bazz Fuss and remembered when I opened it that it wasn't the best inside. I drilled without a template and the jacks are too close to the switch. Also it's a cheap enclosure and a bit more shallow than a normal Hammond one so I've had to line parts of it with electrical tape

My wiring isn't neat but I am not naturally tidy anyway. I think it's fairly sturdy though. I'd probably 80% trust it on my board

All in all a successful little diversion :-) back now to the rolling news

Neater than mine!
    Looking good, and not bad internals for vero. 

Did I mention I hate vero? ;)
    Looking good, and not bad internals for vero. 

Did I mention I hate vero? ;)
    Yeah same it's horrible. I like that it allows you to be spontaneous though
    Alex2678 said:
    Neater than mine!
    For a first build on vero you did well to get it working at all. I think only my fourth attempt passed a signal
    roberty said:
    For a first build on vero you did well to get it working at all. I think only my fourth attempt passed a signal
    There were a few hairy moments. 
    First time I plugged it I got nothing, took the back off and the output wire fell out. Used a spare bit of wire and the solder just wouldn’t take to it
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I pretty much exclusively use stripboard (I *really* enjoy using it, but then I have built thousands of PCBs in my professional life) but I have bought clone PCBs of the EHX Polyphase and Boss CE-1. I have most of the parts, but I'm still waiting on an order from Tayda that is now two weeks overdue before I can continue with my super Rat/TS combo.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 460
    Keefy said:
    Having been alerted to it in another thread, I fancy building a Multiplex Echo Machine. 1776 Effects supply the PCB but they are closed until the Zombie Apocalypse dies down. Ah well, that will have to wait for another day...
    I've been planning to do one of these as well, though $13.30 shipping on a $15 PCB was holding me back a bit.  I have found a vero layout for it here: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/1776-Multiplex-with-charge-discharge-trimmers-td29819.html
    Considering I've never used vero before, it's a bit daunting though.  My plan is to have a toggle switch to change the momentary footswitch from the "detune" effect to a "slam" which maxes the feedback.