Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    edited May 2020
    Keefy said:
    ... or file a rebate in the washer to accommodate the LED?
    Yeah, that’s the other option. I might try it anyway, given I have spare washers and I won’t need them anyway if it looks naff. Thinking about it, it shouldn’t actually be too hard with a round file.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    timbuk02 said:
    Finished! I’m going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Blimey that looks quality! Particularly like the attention to detail aligning the retaining nuts A++
    The powder coating goes a long way, combined with the bigger LEDs in posher bezels. And I’m glad someone spotted the nut alignment. I don’t usually worry but I didn’t want to use the white washer on this one as they looked wrong, then it made it look weird if they were both straight :)

I have the KOT next. That’s going to be more of a hassle nut-washer wise as the LED hole is too close to the switch so after I’ve reamed out the hole to fit the bigger bezel I can’t get the washer on the switch at all... I guess that might also go without the washer, by necessity!
    What current limiting resistor value are you using for the big LEDs? After some experimenting I think 12k is about right for mine
    I’m just using the same 2k2 that Fuzzdog supplies for its 3mm LEDs. You could definitely go a little less for a brighter LED - these don’t look anywhere near towards the point they might go pop. 

I don’t generally like LEDs that make your eyes hurt, as some boutique manufacturers tend towards!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    This is what my Big Muff Pi build looked like while I was waiting for the purple knobs to arrive:

And the completed innards:

Unable to leave well enough alone, I peeled off the sticky labels to replace with waterslide decals, and took off some paint too. So I rubbed it down, resprayed, put the decals on, let them dry, then added a few coats of clear lacquer. Thinking all was well, I started to re-install the electronics, only to find that some of the paint was as soft as Dairylea. So I scraped it all off with a scalpel:

Then rubbed it down with steel wool, put it all together, and added waterslide decals for the control labels, and a sticky label for the name. It lives!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice! The bare metal suits it imo :)
    edited May 2020
    Nice! The bare metal suits it imo
    Yes I think it does. It gives it a Boo Instruments kinda vibe, and their stuff ain't too shabby. I might still replace the label-maker sticker with a waterslide though - I came up with a nice design using just 2 symbols.

EDIT: I had half a mind to leave the distressed white paintwork in 'tribute' to EHX's shonky paint jobs, but I couldn't be sure that the paint would ever go off!
    Now I'm happy:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Keefy said:
    Now I'm happy:

Love it :)
    Keefy said:
    Now I'm happy:

Looks great man

Ordered a couple of Rangemaster PCBs from websmurfer on eBay. Someone kindly sent me a couple of suitable Ge transistors. Was gonna vero it but the two boards posted were only a fiver and it makes mounting the board easy. One will be for a friend, Musso from the Black Apples. He doesn't know yet
    roberty said:
    Keefy said:
    Now I'm happy:

Looks great man

Ordered a couple of Rangemaster PCBs from websmurfer on eBay. Someone kindly sent me a couple of suitable Ge transistors. Was gonna vero it but the two boards posted were only a fiver and it makes mounting the board easy. One will be for a friend, Musso from the Black Apples. He doesn't know yet
    Please do post here, quite fancy building a treble booster at some point.
    Ooh, you’ve reminded me I think I have a Rangemaster kit somewhere in the parts box...
    Ooh, you’ve reminded me I think I have a Rangemaster kit somewhere in the parts box...
    I've got three AC128 trannies that I think I harvested from old radios - gotta be worth a breadboard build to see what they sound like.
    @Keefy will do! Got four or five builds planned at the moment, will pop them all in here. I'm not big on painting and decorating unfortunately, but a friend is quarantining at my place who is an artist and we have talked of a possible collaboration. I wouldn't know where to start

Always wanted to try a Rangemaster. I've got a Selmer Treble n Bass 50 head which would suit it well I think. The guitar channel is a bit shit but when you jumper the guitar and bass channels it's super meaty

roberty said:
    @Keefy will do! Got four or five builds planned at the moment, will pop them all in here. I'm not big on painting and decorating unfortunately, but a friend is quarantining at my place who is an artist and we have talked of a possible collaboration. I wouldn't know where to start

Always wanted to try a Rangemaster. I've got a Selmer Treble n Bass 50 head which would suit it well I think. The guitar channel is a bit shit but when you jumper the guitar and bass channels it's super meaty

Sounds great! I restored a T'n'B head a few years ago and with a Les Paul it did that clean-but-dirty thing. I imagine a treble booster would work well with it.
    @Keefy the T&B takes dirt pedals really well for a doom/sludge sort of sound. Really fills out my 3 piece

Bits ordered! I'm going to do two germainum Rangemasters and the Zander Foxxton Woods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-FXsNrlmWc

Tacked a few bits onto the order so I can do a Sunny T Extreme later on. Fuzz Dog have some AC128s landing soon so I want to do a germanium fuzz face. Got my eye on a couple of things a Musikding too
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    OK - my Fuzz Factory clone is now all together. Very quick demo and it is as Germanium crazy as I was hoping. I'm going to enjoy coaxing some sounds out of it. 

I have polished up the enclosure. I need to label up the pots somehow, but am short of ideas for doing this. Don't want to paint the enclosure. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    steer said:
    OK - my Fuzz Factory clone is now all together. Very quick demo and it is as Germanium crazy as I was hoping. I'm going to enjoy coaxing some sounds out of it. 

I have polished up the enclosure. I need to label up the pots somehow, but am short of ideas for doing this. Don't want to paint the enclosure. 
    I bought a Stabilo Write-4-All permanent marker pen years ago. It works very well on pedals- I've managed to rub it off a few enclosures deliberately, but it's resisted accidental wear.

If you or someone you know has nice neat handwriting it's a good low-tech, no-fuss way to label a pedal.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited May 2020
    steer said:

I bought a Stabilo Write-4-All permanent marker pen years ago. It works very well on pedals- I've managed to rub it off a few enclosures deliberately, but it's resisted accidental wear.

If you or someone you know has nice neat handwriting it's a good low-tech, no-fuss way to label a pedal.
    I got some letter stickers off eBay and go over them with clear nail varnish. I just stick the first letter of what the control is which is enough of a prompt for me. It comes off easy too if you change your mind later (nail polish remover). The Fuzz Factory is quite easy to remember because the crazy knob (Stab!) is in the middle  

As an aside, the gate knob doesn't seem to do much on mine. Is this normal?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @steer pics please!! 

@roberty i don’t have an FF at the mo, but iirc the gate controls the pitch of the oscillation that you get when you turn the stab control down. Or the other way around, I can’t entirely remember... 
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited May 2020

Thanks for the idea - I might scour ebay for similiar letter stickers. 

OK - here it is, just with the labelling to finish off. I might tidy some of the wiring up before I call it finished officially.