I'm putting together a master-build amp course, guitar set-up course and a cabinet-build course.

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
edited March 2020 in Making & Modding
Before too many of you get excited, they will all be in Bologna, Italy after the summer (virus).

Back at the beginning of the year I posted a request for info about pricing for a guitar set-up course.
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/170809/how-much-for-a-guitar-set-up-course#latest

I also posted about my positive experience with a new local amp tech:
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/158481/ntechd-starlogic#latest

and lastly, asked the forum about cab design:
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173456/the-art-to-speaker-cabinet-construction-a-box-or-an-acoustic-instrument#latest

Well, things have progressed:
The amp tech, once he learnt I worked at a technical/mechanical college, asked if I could find out about the possibility of doing an amp build course there. By the time I had got home, I was already putting the guitar set-up course into the pitch too.
By some great luck, I asked a colleague to put me in touch with someone who might be able to guide everyone through the course never expecting to find a bass player who organises courses at the college, knows the Starlogic amps well, gets his basses fixed by the luthier I proposed, and knows a small workshop near Bologna that builds cabs.

The luthier and amp-tech are good people and will do an excellent job. I will keep this thread informed about any developments and will look forward to any suggestions or advice.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The amp build course will offer these 3 to choose from:
    5F1/5F3
    Princeton
    JTM45

The plan is evening courses of 3 hours each to cover theory and build. Every student will go home with their own amp at the end of the course built to the standards expected by Starlogic. The tech was adamant in confirming this will not be a kit-build course; rather the student would learn the principles behind an amp build as well as the 30 years of experience in his field.

This is not a boutique amp build course. I see it more as an artisan amp build course.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Good luck with the venture - nice choice of classic amp circuits to go for....I'd maybe consider including a 5E3 or similar too ? 

All the best, 
    Pete 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    If I could afford it I would relocate to Bologna for this, I love it there 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you @PeteC and @DrBob ;
    Please come join us in Bologna: food is incredible, the city is small, there’s music, everyone is beautiful.

Re the 5e3, please educate me on all things fender amp. Every amp I’ve ever had had el34s. Even the redplate with its blackface and tweed. So, please, tell me what differences I should expect from the 5e3, f1 and f3. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I couldn't afford it, and I've never owned a passport so you won't be seeing me anyway, but nice idea!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Good luck with it :) Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd love to do, if I had the spare cash to move out to Bologna for a while.

Now, if only you could add in a cookery element to the course.......

Kalimna said:

Good luck with it :) Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd love to do, if I had the spare cash to move out to Bologna for a while.

a cookery and an italian course shouldn't be difficult to find.

Actually, if anyone on the forum has visited Bologna, I'd love to hear about your experience.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    lukedlb said:
    Kalimna said:

a cookery and an italian course shouldn't be difficult to find.

Actually, if anyone on the forum has visited Bologna, I'd love to hear about your experience.
    I used to be there 3-4 weeks a year in November working on the motorshow. Fantastic place, so many little independent restaurants, great bars,
    one of my favourite stops on the show circuit 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I visited back in about 2003 on a kind of student exchange type thing, we played a couple of gigs and stayed with hosts. Had a fantastic time, it’s a beautiful place and the people were very friendly! 
    I’ve always wanted to return, and will when everything’s calmed down. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    ..closest I've been is San Gimignano / Sienna / Voltera - which we loved !  Will certainly be back to that region. Favourite pizza was in a little town called Colle di Val D'elsa.  aaahhh, just last year and now seems like a lifetime ago. 

The 5e3 is a classic Fender Tweed using 2x 6V6s in the output stage - lovely distortion when cranked and a beautiful clean when not !    Big version of the Champ but simple and unusual tone section.   Lots of mods for it ( though I wouldn't mod an early one ! )

Good Luck - you never know I might come out to Bologna sometime!