Why are Fender US colours so shite?

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
edited March 2020 in Guitar
Looking around at Strats while I’ve been in quarantine & aside from the Khaki Olive American Professional. The colours on US Strats are Bloody awful. I mean die of boredom awful. 

Meanwhile Fender Japan do the hybrid range in classic colours. Candy hues and stuff.  On the Ishibashi website there’s a Sherwood Green metallic Strat in both HSS and an SSS one with a black scratch plate. I’m practically creaming my pants looking at them. 

Fender wonder why guitar sales are down & is it because the colours on offer are just dull? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3563
    They seem to be pushing the ''classic'' ''vintage'' ''no modern guitars'' sales from way back that I can remember. You are right, it gets boring.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    With 50+ years of sales history to look at, I'm guessing that custom colours sell significantly less than black, white sunburst and CAR. So they can save the customs for special runs and charge extra for the "limited edition" factor. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    edited March 2020
    Across the whole standard-production USA range there are always a few colours that I like – at the moment Inca Silver, Surf Green, Sonic Blue, Daphne Blue. They just seem to do their best to make sure the colours I like are paired with a load of features I don't…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Apparently white guitars sound best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    Sassafras said:
    Apparently  olympic white guitars sound best.

FTFY
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    barnstorm said:
    Across the whole standard-production USA range there are always a few colours that I like – at the moment Inca Silver, Surf Green, Sonic Blue, Daphne Blue. They just seem to do their best to make sure the colours I like are paired with a load of features I don't…
    This is so true. Huge variety of Strats in particular but I can’t find one which combines the features I actually want. To be fair some do come pretty close though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    HAL9000 said:
    barnstorm said:
    This is so true. Huge variety of Strats in particular but I can’t find one which combines the features I actually want. To be fair some do come pretty close though.

It's deliberate.  They want you to shell out for a Custom Shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    rlw said:
    Sassafras said:
    Apparently olympic white guitars with tortoiseshell guard sound best.

FTFY
    FTFY.... =)
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    With 50+ years of sales history to look at, I'm guessing that custom colours sell significantly less than black, white sunburst and CAR. So they can save the customs for special runs and charge extra for the "limited edition" factor. 
    Which to me is mental. I couldn't imagine ever buying a plain white or black personally but I suppose variety is what makes the world interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    crunchman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    barnstorm said:

That's often said, but it's a bad business plan if my spending (or lack thereof) in recent years is any indication!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    It has always been that way. The proliferation of custom colours on "vintage" guitars is not a reflection of what was available.

Most people seem to want black, white, red or pooburst. Its "traditional". From experience in shops, the unusual colours can be a pita to sell - for example back in the early 90s, the shop I worked in sold a lot of US Standard strats... mainly in red, black or sunburst. We had a midnight blue and a caribbean mist example... couldn't sell them. I ended up with the CM one. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • agreed and lack of matching headstocks compared to Japanese drives me nuts

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    edited March 2020
    I think in the US Fender do something online called Mod Shop where you can specify colour, neck, pickups, scratchplate, tuners, etc. Admittedly the choice of each is fairly limited but it does at least allow for some combining of bits you like...

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/mod-shop/?rl=en_US

As as far as I know it’s not available this side of the pond. I could be wrong though @MattFGBI ?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    Fender would dip them in chocolate for you if they thought they could squeeze another dollar out of the same old designs.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    barnstorm said:
    crunchman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    barnstorm said:

That's often said, but it's a bad business plan if my spending (or lack thereof) in recent years is any indication!

On the other hand, if I could get a Classic Series (or the latest marketing guff name for it) in a nitro finish in a good colour, I wouldn't go near anything made in the US.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    crunchman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    barnstorm said:

Bingo.

Most desirable colours (or colors) are high end models.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    There is no guitar more dull than a black strat. Although sunburst runs it pretty damn close. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    crunchman said:
    barnstorm said:
    crunchman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    barnstorm said:

On the other hand, if I could get a Classic Series (or the latest marketing guff name for it) in a nitro finish in a good colour, I wouldn't go near anything made in the US.
    Yeah this. I wonder if that's why the stopped the lacquered classic series - most likely it was cannibalising from people who would have bought an AVRI/AV/Original
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    On a Strat, I now prefer simple colours like Olympic White, Aged White, Aged Natural, Black and Sunburst, maybe Fiesta Red at a Push. I've gone off most of the Pastel shade ones and the Vibrant colour ones.

It's also not just enough to like the Colour of the Body, the Body Colour needs to have the correct appointments to catch one's eye.

For Example:

A Black Strat with a pale Maple Neck/Board and Brilliant White Plastic/Pick Ups is something I could not love.

A Black Strat with a Tort Guard and a R.W Board and the correct shade of aged plastic/pick ups, now we're talkin'.

Same for the Whites and the Bursts, they have to have the right appointments for individual taste.

I have 2 Teles in colours that I love, those Being, Crimson Transparent(Ash Grain) and Ice Blue Metallic. I would never want those colours on a Strat.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.