Tuning a short scale guitar to A

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Ive got a Squier Mini Strat (22.75 inch) scale Im faffing with and am considering tuning to A, can I use 10’s or will they go ping! and all end in tears.....

Thoughts...
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I suspect A will be too high.  I've got a little Breedlove travel acoustic that I've just measured the scale on at 19.5" or thereabouts.  That originally came tuned to A, but I've dropped it to G# as the strings seemed a bit tight.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    crunchman said:
    I suspect A will be too high.  I've got a little Breedlove travel acoustic that I've just measured the scale on at 19.5" or thereabouts.  That originally came tuned to A, but I've dropped it to G# as the strings seemed a bit tight.
    Do you use usual gauge strings, 9’s/10’s?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    22.75" is the same scale length as to the second fret on a standard scale, so you will get the same tension with your usual string gauge if you tune up to F#. A is probably too high unless you go to lighter strings - the octave G (three semitones above the top string) on a 12-string is normally an 8 or 9, so for three semitones above the F# I would try 8s or 9s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    paulnb57 said:
    crunchman said:
    Do you use usual gauge strings, 9’s/10’s?

It's acoustic strings, but they are my usual gauge (11s).
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    There have been a fair few threads and posts about this, here's links to a couple:

When I get around to sorting out my miKro, I'll try to gather everything together in one place. I'm going to get it new machine heads and try the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky set I bought for it in standard tuning. I'd not normally touch EBs with a bargepole after long-standing reliability issues, but this was the cheapest option to get a full set at close to the gauges I calculated for standard using stringtensionpro.com: 12, 16, plain 24 (!), 32, 44, 56. I also have a few sets of eights around to try tuning it to higher pitches along the lines ICBM posted about above.