NGD! 'Vintage' content inside

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Lovely guitar, but you're only fooling yourself saying that '93 is 'vintage'. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matchoo93Matchoo93 Frets: 87
    Loobs said:
    Lovely guitar, but you're only fooling yourself saying that '93 is 'vintage'. 
    I'm taking the piss as it's a year of Birth guitar haha 
    Proud user of Aristides and Mayones guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    rico said:

On the fifth and sixth photos, the fret wear is almost zero which is not commensurate with the condition of the fretboard. You can also see the striations of the fret end filing too. Also, the frets appear to be bigger than what may have been standard at the time. I think I can also see marks where the fretboard lacquer has been cut to remove the old frets (but I have been staring at a screen all day so could be seeing things!)
    Yes, that's been refretted. The giveaway is that maple-board Fenders are lacquered over the frets, then the tops scraped clean. The US Standard finish of this era is quite thick, and there's always quite a big build-up of finish in the angle between the fret and the fingerboard.

The last photo in particular is a pretty accurate representation of this very hard to photograph colour too - makes me miss my Strat a bit...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Cracking guitar mate, love Tele's.

Sadly a birth year guitar for me would probably have been made by Stradivarius!
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matchoo93Matchoo93 Frets: 87
    ICBM said:
    rico said:

On the fifth and sixth photos, the fret wear is almost zero which is not commensurate with the condition of the fretboard. You can also see the striations of the fret end filing too. Also, the frets appear to be bigger than what may have been standard at the time. I think I can also see marks where the fretboard lacquer has been cut to remove the old frets (but I have been staring at a screen all day so could be seeing things!)
    Yes, that's been refretted. The giveaway is that maple-board Fenders are lacquered over the frets, then the tops scraped clean. The US Standard finish of this era is quite thick, and there's always quite a big build-up of finish in the angle between the fret and the fingerboard.

The last photo in particular is a pretty accurate representation of this very hard to photograph colour too - makes me miss my Strat a bit...
    Saves me getting it done then!
    Proud user of Aristides and Mayones guitars.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    edited April 2020
    Nice - and in the most musical colour too ..

Another Caribbean Mist version  from c '95(?). Bought new back in 1996.

Love the Tele btw 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never seen that colour but it is nice.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Nice colour. Birth year guitar is a cool thing. 

I think that after 25 years old, the vintage name can be used in certain industries. But as you’ve said, some folks properly get their knickers in a twist if you apply that to guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited April 2020
    Got a 93 tele in crimson burst. The bridge pick up, whilst not having all the twang, sounds huge with a bit of gain. Even after all these years it plays great and is as stable as any guitar ever. One of those guitars that you never have to worry about and is always good to pick up.  
  • looks really nice !
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Glad you found a birth year guitar you are happy with-hard to beat a good Tele :)
    When logic and proportion
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    AK99 said:
    Nice - and in the most musical colour too ..

Another Caribbean Mist version  from c '95(?). Bought new back in 1996.
    Bingo! Finally an indoor photo which represents the colour accurately. That's exactly how I remember mine.

I know this is something of an OCD thing with me, but I must have taken at least twenty photos of mine and I could never get it to come out right - like 99% of the online pics, they always looked much too blue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Lovely !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback