Gibson P90 vs Seymour Duncan Antiquity

What's Hot
Anyone tried the SD Antiquity P90? What are the differences you notice?

I have a Les Paul Junior which remains (til now) the only guitar that is all original stock, but tempted to switch it out.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    The differences will depend on the exact version of the Gibson that you have. (Wind, magnet formulation, wax potting.)

Generally, I find that the Duncan Antiquity P90 tends to have more of the “bounce” that I expect through overdriven valve amplification. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    Be aware that the Antiquities are not potted and will squeal badly with any significant amount of gain at band volume. They do sound great, but they weren't very usable with my band. Potting them actually made them sound less good, although it did cure the problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The differences will depend on the exact version of the Gibson that you have. (Wind, magnet formulation, wax potting.)

Generally, I find that the Duncan Antiquity P90 tends to have more of the “bounce” that I expect through overdriven valve amplification. 
    It's the P90h or H90? Not sure on the magnet or winds. It can be pretty noisy under high gain if I remember (I don't actually get to play it alot)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    The Gibson H90 is a P90 with a second, smaller coil beneath for hum reduction. IMO, this is an improvement over the Gibson P100 and other P90-alikes with stacked matched coils but still disappointing tonally.

I wholeheartedly enjoy Antiquity P90s. Yes, they can squeal with high gain. The trick is to learn to control that.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I replaced my Gibson P90,s in both my guitars with Wolfetone P90,s. Wow what a difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5445
    markj said:
    I replaced my Gibson P90,s in both my guitars with Wolfetone P90,s. Wow what a difference.
    By coincidence Wolfetone is offering 25% off all orders right now... they are amazing pickups...
    Whitecat said:
    markj said:
    By coincidence Wolfetone is offering 25% off all orders right now... they are amazing pickups...
    Mine where sent in a plain packaging marked " As Gift " so no import duty. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markj said:
    Whitecat said:
    markj said:
    Mine where sent in a plain packaging marked " As Gift " so no import duty. 
    Lucky you - mine weren’t! Cost almost £40 to land a set of P90s but still a pretty good deal. 
  • markj said:
    Just been looking at their website, which one did you go for, Mean, Meaner or Meanest?
    markj said:
    Just been looking at their website, which one did you go for, Mean, Meaner or Meanest?
    Mean (neck) and meaner (bridge) here. 
  • Whitecat said:
    markj said:
    Mean (neck) and meaner (bridge) here. 
    Do you happen to know the output k resistance? I think its 10 but I might have read the wrong one.

This is a single pickup one as its the Billie Joe Armstrong signature Les Paul Junior, (I'm a Green Day fan ha) and I know he uses a SD Antiquity in some of his.
    Meaner is meant to be 9k... not measured mine, and I’ve misplaced my multimeter but as soon as I find out what super secret drawer I tucked it in I can measure mine...
  • Ah cool, don't suppose you got any clips of you playing it by any chance? Its obviously going to sound different through different amps and settings etc of course.
    Ah cool, don't suppose you got any clips of you playing it by any chance? Its obviously going to sound different through different amps and settings etc of course.
    They are not actually installed yet. :) Have a couple guitars they can go in so need to decide which one first!
    There are some good demos of a Wolfetone P90 on this page here in a junior-esque guitar... albeit a bolt-on with a Tele-style bridge...

markj said:
    Mean on the neck and Meaner on the bridge.  
     I emailed Wolfe and mentioned my concern over the import duty, he said that that was the concern of many British customers. He told me to leave it to him. He packaged them very plainly and marked them as a gift and the value $15. If your interested in some of his pickups let him know and he will do this for U.K. customers. I had my P90,s lightly wax potted and made with Alnico 2 mags. 
    Ah cool, don't suppose you got any clips of you playing it by any chance? Its obviously going to sound different through different amps and settings etc of course.

There are quite a few videos on youtube.
    edited April 2020
    https://www.facebook.com/ivisonguitars/videos/433750110729814/      Small video of a   Ivison singlecut with a Oilcity P90. Sounds good to me.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1305
    I think it’s craziness to be risking getting stung for import duty from the US when you live in a country with some of the finest winders known to humanity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom