The Joy of Facebook Groups - Or Not

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
Some time ago, I switched off notifications for 90% of the Facebook guitars/gear selling groups I was a member of. In hindsight, with good reason.

Due to the enforced tedium of our current isolated circumstances, I switched them all on again today.

For about 30 minutes. I’d forgotten quite how bad it was.

a. Mega-spam across vast amounts of groups by hordes of ubiquitous bedroom dealers, the same names peddling more stock than f*cking Andertons again and again. FFS, SERIOUSLY - do these people pay any tax? :open_mouth: 

a1. Semi-aggressive/injured party posts from the above dealers if ever they get questioned/called out on their practices, shored up by their compatriots.

b. Idiots posting ‘feelers’, hoping to snag the best trade/price they can, with a long list of ‘not quite what I’m looking for’ responses beneath.

c. Cut-and-paste internet b*llocks, recycled until it becomes truth.

d. Enough ‘Lawsuit’, ‘mojo’, ‘plays like butter’, ‘the best guitar I’ve owned’ crap to choke a donkey.

e. Everyone is ‘bro’, ‘man’, ‘dude’ or ‘brother’.

f. No-one wants ‘anything pointy’ in trade.

Jeez, I hate people. I’ll get me coat. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9308
    It’s funny though. I saw a Mexican classic player. Of course it’s a custom shop Mexican  ;)
    Asking price a snip at £1100
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    Selling guitars is generally a nightmare :/ Facebook marketplace is a dark and murky place.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    I feel you, bro!!!
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I deactivated my Facebook profile 12 weeks ago. Good frickin' riddance!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Keefy said:
    I deactivated my Facebook profile 12 weeks ago. Good frickin' riddance!
    Best thing I did too tbh. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I got fed up with people from all four corners of the globe wanting to be my friends. Closed my Facebook account because there are more than enough weirdos where I live, I just don't need any more.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • e. Everyone is ‘bro’, ‘man’, ‘dude’ or ‘brother’.

Or ‘bud’ or ‘pal’. 
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Never used social media of any kind, never will. I actually like to communicate with real people, strange but true.

Bugger, is this forum a type of social media??? We're all doomed!
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    I'm in a number of FB guitar/bass groups; I try and avoid the general daily diary stuff.

Apart from FB's crappy AI which says you might be interested in "B" because you looked at "A" (it sent be a link to a childs' dress because I looked at an effects pedal!)(and then sent me another because I looked at the 1st!!), I don't find FB intrusive.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Agreed those groups are aggressive, increasily-contrived, bro-heavy cesspools 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Facebook marketplace is the absolute worst. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    I think the last three guitars I've sold went via Facebook Marketplace, or one of the guitar buying and selling groups. All sold with no problems what so ever with a happy party on both sides.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There do seem to be a few where the owner/admin controls everything for their own benefit, skims off the best sales, undermines everyone else's listings and have a sickly clique hanging on their every word. The number of guitars these group owners seem to get through is incredible, but not as incredible as their teflon like ability to slide away from criticism and questioning about paying tax etc. 

"It's just a hobby mate, I'm not a dealer" 

Err...you've listed and sold more £1000+ guitars this month than I've ever owned in my life! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    Facebook marketplace is the absolute worst. 
    Not sure about that... have you tried any of the freecycle pages? *shudder*
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    U okay hun?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    U okay hun?
    Fummin
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    There do seem to be a few where the owner/admin controls everything for their own benefit, skims off the best sales, undermines everyone else's listings and have a sickly clique hanging on their every word. The number of guitars these group owners seem to get through is incredible, but not as incredible as their teflon like ability to slide away from criticism and questioning about paying tax etc. 

"It's just a hobby mate, I'm not a dealer" 

Err...you've listed and sold more £1000+ guitars this month than I've ever owned in my life! 
    Have a Wiz for that.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    What's the tax implications on bedroom trading? If I recall correctly you cant sell more than seven cars a year without having to be classed as a car trader. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    edited April 2020
    e. Everyone is ‘bro’, ‘man’, ‘dude’ or ‘brother’.
    Or ‘bud’ or ‘pal’. 
    Listen chum, don’t forget ‘fella’ and ‘matey’.  :)

Edit: and of course, ‘chap’!

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Done some really nice easy deals on them before, particularly the last one, which was a straight swap and ended up in my new favourite guitar. But plenty of 'bro'-ing, 'can you hold onto it until I get paid at the end of the month?' and one really weird offer for a trade involving a guitar I didn't want, gear I don't even have, and completely unrelated to the advert  =)