Just Found This...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Harry - I bet a tour of your belongings will a) take many happy hours and b) reveal many 'I forgot I had this' items

I have to admit that I have a few boxes of parts and nick knacks to go through - Many I will use/sell at guitar shows as and when they are back up and running

But you are right when you say you couldn't give them away before - Today and all such parts are sought after by certain players for re-builds and projects - The only thing that stops me wanting to sell some of them, is that a week later you buy such a guitar, that needs that exact item you just sold a few days earlier - sods law
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps we should start a thread on the most obscure thing in our “spares” box. 
    I’ll start with a Sonic ranger minus the wiring diagram and a lock for a kahler trem
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited April 2020

The only thing that stops me wanting to sell some of them, is that a week later you buy such a guitar, that needs that exact item you just sold a few days earlier - sods law
    Ain’t that the truth!

Well, this one will shortly be fitted to a project in the pipeline...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    I am sure I am making a fool of myself by asking, but what is it?

I know it's from a tremolo, but why is it particularly noteworthy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Was just about to ask the same thing. 
    edited April 2020

'70's USA Fender cast vibrato unit (one piece, rather than a separate block).

Like this or this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    Thanks - I do find this sort of thing interesting and clearly my eyes aren't as keen for that level of detail yet :)

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757
    Cast from what though?
    Mazak, zinc or pot metal.
    The devil is in the detail & there are usually reasons they ended up in drawers ;)
  • Somewhere I have a truss rod cover for an es175cc (175 with a Charlie Christian pickup). 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader

The devil is in the detail & there are usually reasons they ended up in drawers ;)
    The reason is that they are not as good as the bent metal/separate block version.

However someone would snap that up for their soon-to-be "all original" 70s Stratocaster.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I just found this in a drawer the other day, I used to alternate using it for one set and a footrest for one set to relieve leg and back strain when I was doing a lot of solo guitar gigs.  They go by several brand names, "Ergoplay" is one of the ones that comes to mind.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406

'70's USA Fender cast vibrato unit (one piece, rather than a separate block).

Like this or this.
    I'm so dense I didn't even know a normal one was 2 pieces .... I've never bothered to look :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Those intonation screw heads are well chewed-up !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Those intonation screw heads are well chewed-up !
    Yup, they are a bit nasty! 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I remember a time when you couldn’t give them away...
    Now being used to make butchered 70s Strats "all original" again and into "valuable" "vintage" guitars, ignoring the reasons why the bridges were taken out in the first place and why they were the very things that inspired the "older is better" logic by being so crap compared to the 50s and 60s ones...

Perhaps we should start a thread on the most obscure thing in our “spares” box. 
    I’ll start with a Sonic ranger minus the wiring diagram and a lock for a kahler trem
    I have a Bartolini 3AV soundhole pickup without the necessary soundhole mount - it's the same size as a Strat pickup, and was last used to get a jazzy 'acoustic' sound out of a Strat-type guitar - and the main cam from a Kahler :).

I'm thinking of making a new mount for the Bartolini for my charity-shop Vintage, and we're only about 1,000 parts short of assembling a whole Kahler between us!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Which type and in what finish colour? 

@HarrySeven ;Has sir rediscovered any marbles yet? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Perhaps we should start a thread on the most obscure thing in our “spares” box. 

@HarrySeven Has sir rediscovered any marbles yet? ;)

@HarrySeven Has sir rediscovered any marbles yet? ;)
    https://imgur.com/gallery/R8izaWx  @Funkfingers ;
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    IIRC, Autolatch was a mechanism, attached to the sustain block, for governing the arm on Kahler Spyder/Killer vibrato bridges.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Recently found a USA G&L trem assembly in my spares box - Not much use to anyone unless for any strange reason they have a G&L that needs a trem - Not even sure when/why I acquired it 
  • I have a ton of spares/ bridges/ pickups etc which I have promised myself will get used at some point.

And then there are the random things which almost certainly won't:

-A pair of pickups and half the bridge from my first guitar, a horrible Audition electric.
    -The trem from a Hohner JT60/ Hollywood, in badly plated gold, which should have been sold with the guitar, but I couldn't find it when I sold it.
    -A brand new neck for a Burns Flyte, not lacquered and never fitted to a guitar. It has the worst fret job I've ever seen, a fingerboard stained to look like rosewood (I think it's a one piece maple neck), and aluminium binding. Bought from Music Ground in Doncaster about 30 years ago (I doubt it's a fake, it doesn't have enough value to be worth forging!)

If I had a rummage there are probably a load more items to add to the list.

I have absolutely no idea why I keep all this stuff, other than to clutter the house!