Budget Interface Recommendations

What's Hot
Looking for some recommendations for a budget audio interface..

Will be using it to record with my Kemper into my iMac. 

I have Garageband already installed which I have used a little in the past.. I know nothing else about other recording software.

Primarily this setup will be for importing backing tracks to jam - record over.

My Mac is an early 2009 - 3.06 GHz Intel core 2 duo - 4Gb Memory.

Monitoring will more than like be headphones as this will only be used at home.

Budget around £100-120.

Cheers,

Darren 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    I'm pretty happy with my Presonus iTwo. Connects with both USB and Lightning, so you could also take it out of the house if you have an iPad. Also has MIDI in/thru and out ports. I am not, in any way, an expert, BTW. 
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    I'm pretty happy with my Presonus iTwo. Connects with both USB and Lightning, so you could also take it out of the house if you have an iPad. Also has MIDI in/thru and out ports. I am not, in any way, an expert, BTW. 
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'm pretty new to this myself, seems to be lots of different options our there.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Ah, I was just going to recommend a couple because I thought you said £100-200.

If £120 is the upper limit then I don't know of any, it would be quite a limiting budget I think.

If you can go a bit higher I'd go for the Zoom UAC-2 if I was in your position. I'm guessing that since you have a Kemper and an iMac, the extra 50 quid wouldn't put you in to hardship and I think you'd be getting something much better than you can for under £120.
  • I've been told - but don't know first hand - that the Behringer units offer surprisingly good performance for their price.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_umc404hd.htm

Bye!

• That Behringer is what I'm going for. It's pretty tough to find a bad review of it. A ton of people don't like the company but I've been using their kit for years without too many problems. That interface is regarded as punching above its weight at their price point.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    There's loads of choice at this price point. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo a few years ago and haven't regretted it a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    That’s what I’ve been using for the past 2 years or so and have been very happy with it. 
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Buy the new SSL interface =  £170 awesome value. 
    Thank you to all for the suggestions.. I'm going to take a look through all these suggestions during the week. 
    markv said:
    There's loads of choice at this price point. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo a few years ago and haven't regretted it a bit.
    Looking at that one I can't tell if it would do what he wants.

Does it accept 2 line level inputs? (i.e. can the mic input take a line level and would it be matched with a line going in to the instrument input?)

Also see that the "direct monitoring" seems to be a button, would that not mean that he could either hear the Kemper or the backing track but not both at the same time?
    thegummy said:
    markv said:

Does it accept 2 line level inputs? (i.e. can the mic input take a line level and would it be matched with a line going in to the instrument input?)

Also see that the "direct monitoring" seems to be a button, would that not mean that he could either hear the Kemper or the backing track but not both at the same time?
    Ah, I see what you mean. I had assumed the OP would import tracks into a DAW and playback on that, while playing via the Kemper - and hence would only need the one input. Reading the original question again, I'm not sure what his approach is going to be?

But you're right, the Solo doesn't have 2 line level inputs, so if the intention was to have the backing track into one input and the guitar into another, then you'd need something else (e.g. the Focusrite 2i2, Steinberg UR22 etc).

The direct monitoring switch on my Solo (1st gen) switches direct monitoring on for both inputs, so I assume this (on the 3rd gen) would do the same.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Steinberg UR22 is my usual answer to this question.  Well made and it just works.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    @markv this is exactly how I intend to approach it. Importing the tracks into the DAW and then record, jam over the top. ;)
    markv said:
    thegummy said:
    markv said:

Ah, I see what you mean. I had assumed the OP would import tracks into a DAW and playback on that, while playing via the Kemper - and hence would only need the one input. Reading the original question again, I'm not sure what his approach is going to be?

But you're right, the Solo doesn't have 2 line level inputs, so if the intention was to have the backing track into one input and the guitar into another, then you'd need something else (e.g. the Focusrite 2i2, Steinberg UR22 etc).

The direct monitoring switch on my Solo (1st gen) switches direct monitoring on for both inputs, so I assume this (on the 3rd gen) would do the same.
    The Kemper is stereo, that's what I meant by two inputs.

He could go for the solo if he wanted to sacrifice all the stereo effects in the Kemper, would be up to him if it was worth it to save some money.
    thegummy said:
    markv said:
    thegummy said:
    markv said:

The Kemper is stereo, that's what I meant by two inputs.

He could go for the solo if he wanted to sacrifice all the stereo effects in the Kemper, would be up to him if it was worth it to save some money.
    Very good point. Definitely not worth sacrificing the stereo option. Don't do it! ;)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    What iMac do you have ? most of them have a line input and you can connect the kemper direct to that if you want to ... doesn't get cheaper than that 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    edited April 2020
    The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is around £120 if you shop around, I think - and even if it isn't, it's worth the extra £19.

I think that will do everything you want. I had been thinking of selling mine since I very rarely record at home any more, but I'm probably not going to, because...

Danny1969 said:
    What iMac do you have ? most of them have a line input and you can connect the kemper direct to that if you want to ... doesn't get cheaper than that 
    A 2009 will have a mic input - my 2011 does. My 2017 doesn't though, so presumably no future ones will either and I'll need it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM the Scarlett 2i2 is the one I have been looking at.
    Do you know of there is much of a difference between second & third generation? 

This is very much of a new learning curve for me. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Steinberg UR22 MK11  £115 Thomman. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    Darren said:
    @ICBM the Scarlett 2i2 is the one I have been looking at.
    Do you know of there is much of a difference between second & third generation? 

This is very much of a new learning curve for me. 
    No idea, sorry - I think mine is actually first generation. It's extremely simple and intuitive to use though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein