NGD: Vigier Excalibur

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2020
    Oh man, I love these.

I played a Rock Art-finished Excalibur similar to this a few months ago, and absolutely loved it. Played a Surfreter too and it was ace.

Vigiers are so cool.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    Right, day two and I’m still loving it. Just looks the bollocks and everything seems easier to play. Sustain is epic even around the 12th fret which I often find muddy and dull on other guitars. 
    This may lead to selling my Xotic and getting another Vigier with SSS   config. Anyone fancy a trade?
  • prlgmnr said:
    I have an Excalibur Indus and two GVs.  They're all great guitars to play, incredibly well built with some great touches that made them perfect touring guitars.  I was lucky enough to have a factory visit a few years ago, the QC is unbelievable. A lot  of bodies and necks made their scrap pile for the tiniest flaw or blemish.
    Did you get to see their secret fret-levelling process?
    They were pretty open during my visit, a few questions they didn't want to answer, but apart from that I got to see every stage of a build, from their wood store to final setup. It is a pretty impressive operation!
  • pickerg said:
    I have an Excalibur Indus and two GVs.  They're all great guitars to play, incredibly well built with some great touches that made them perfect touring guitars.  I was lucky enough to have a factory visit a few years ago, the QC is unbelievable. A lot  of bodies and necks made their scrap pile for the tiniest flaw or blemish.

I'm really fancying a strat at the moment.  Does anyone know how the Excalibur compares to one?
    How is the Indus as they seem a bit cheaper than the other models?
    I really like mine. It's incredibly easy to play, it sounds great and its well built.  I've had it a few years and it's never had any problems apart from having to change the zero fret once.  The only thing I would change about mine is the finish, I went for the matt white option which I believe is now discontinued. It shows every mark and picks up colour from the other guitars on my rack if I bump them putting it back.  The finish has also chipped in a few places and it looks quite scruffy now.  
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Nice score.

I've had a soft spot for Excaliburs since reading a review in a 1992 issue of The Guitar Magazine as an impressionable 16 year old.

For such a modern looking, playing and built guitar with so many player friendly tweaks however, I've never for the life of me been able to understand why they employ the 1948 Fender heel shape rather than something that would allow easier access to the upper frets in keeping with the otherwise sleek vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    StefB said:
    Nice score.

I've had a soft spot for Excaliburs since reading a review in a 1992 issue of The Guitar Magazine as an impressionable 16 year old.

For such a modern looking, playing and built guitar with so many player friendly tweaks however, I've never for the life of me been able to understand why they employ the 1948 Fender heel shape rather than something that would allow easier access to the upper frets in keeping with the otherwise sleek vibe.
    Patrick Vigier has been asked about this and apparently it's the effect on tone without the bulk in the heel.  Agree with you, it does seem out of place
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited April 2020
    John_A said:
    StefB said:
    Nice score.

Patrick Vigier has been asked about this and apparently it's the effect on tone without the bulk in the heel.  Agree with you, it does seem out of place
    Ah, thanks.

He doesn't seem to have any such concerns with the GV Wood models though strangely.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    StefB said:
    John_A said:
    StefB said:
    Nice score.

Ah, thanks.

He doesn't seem to have any such concerns with the GV Wood models though strangely.
    It's a good point.  I'd been thinking, as I looked at pictures of Vigiers the last few days, that the blocky heel looked out of place.

They could use the cutaway style of neckplate used by Eggle, Music Man and Fender on certain models, that takes away very little bulk but makes things more comfortable.

2006 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Olympic White Pearl-06
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I’ve fancied a Vigier for a long time but never tried one.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    DanR said:
    I’ve fancied a Vigier for a long time but never tried one.
    You should,  Stunning guitars, and definitely one brand where you appreciate why the cost quite a bit.  Others IMO like Suhr or Anderson are just posh strats, with Vigier there is genuine innovation there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited April 2020

@donbot , you see the problem with Vigiers is that you start off with one...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    I’m a bit worried about that @Handsome_Chris. The way I’ve taken to mine probably means I’ll be having another in the future! Maybe an sss Excalibur and/or GV Hollow  :# 
    Will have to be second hand or a trade next time though!