Gimme all your money - All £19,999 of it

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Gorgeous guitar, I think they were around £10k new.  Doubt they'll get what they're asking for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    So this or 12-16 very nice, pro level instruments?
    I know where you are coming from - But maybe 4-6 and maybe 8 at a push

In reality, quite a few of us will have a collection that is in excess of 20K value - But acquired over time, so it has softened the blow of that 20K expenditure
    Spoken like a true trader.

The reality is most of us pay around a grand to 1.5k for an instrument.
    I know loads of people working professionally with Mexican Fenders with upgraded pickups.
    Not everyone is into Fender/Gibson custom shops and USA PRS'.
    I'm not saying you can't get a good guitar for 1.5K and gig with it - But if I had the 'spare' appropriate funds then I'd want to buy something with a wow factor about it, as against 'that will do' - Something that when I open the case I think I'm going to enjoy time together
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Gorgeous guitar, I think they were around £10k new.  Doubt they'll get what they're asking for it!
    I can't recall now, but didn't you have one - Somehow recall Doug at Coda having 2/3 in stock - I thought more like 8K at the time - And I knew at the time 2 customers who purchased one - Certainly recall 1 customer showing me it and it was something special to play 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7081
    tFB Trader
    Yes he did and it was a very special guitar
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    All your hugs and kisses too.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    So this or 12-16 very nice, pro level instruments?
    I know where you are coming from - But maybe 4-6 and maybe 8 at a push

In reality, quite a few of us will have a collection that is in excess of 20K value - But acquired over time, so it has softened the blow of that 20K expenditure
    Spoken like a true trader.

The reality is most of us pay around a grand to 1.5k for an instrument.
    I know loads of people working professionally with Mexican Fenders with upgraded pickups.
    Not everyone is into Fender/Gibson custom shops and USA PRS'.
    I'm not saying you can't get a good guitar for 1.5K and gig with it - But if I had the 'spare' appropriate funds then I'd want to buy something with a wow factor about it, as against 'that will do' - Something that when I open the case I think I'm going to enjoy time together
    I get that feeling when I open the case to my ‘04 honeyburst Standard. That was £1200 + £250 for OX4 pickups, it’s a stunning guitar that although not mega expensive is my pride and joy.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    Twinfan said:
    I can't recall now, but didn't you have one - Somehow recall Doug at Coda having 2/3 in stock - I thought more like 8K at the time - And I knew at the time 2 customers who purchased one - Certainly recall 1 customer showing me it and it was something special to play 
    I had a VOS which cost £5.5k from memory.  The aged version was around £10k and the aged/signed £15k.

I brought my VOS to your shop and you liked it, as did I.  I just don't get on with Les Pauls though so it got sold.
    tFB Trader
    zepp76 said:
    I get that feeling when I open the case to my ‘04 honeyburst Standard. That was £1200 + £250 for OX4 pickups, it’s a stunning guitar that although not mega expensive is my pride and joy.
    I've said many times that the 2002-2006 era LP Standards got it right when it comes to the non Custom Shop models - If they had have continued with these instead of all the other models released and changed annually they would not have had so much bad publicity - They aren't meant to be R9 replicas, just good LP's and many of them are 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
     Billy bought the original in 1968 for $250!!!!   I feel sick.  :'( :s

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1429
    edited April 2020
    Voxman said:
     Billy bought the original in 1968 for $250!!!!   I feel sick.  s

That was a lot of money in those days. More interestingly, it would have been like buying a 2011 guitar today.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8196
    crunchman said:
    The PRS S2 Satins are superb guitars.  The only reason not to gig one of those is snobbery.
    Or you think they look absolutely revolting, which I suspect makes up a good proportion. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I played one in Coda and it was nice, definitely better than the other Les Pauls there - a standout - but I couldn’t afford a USA standard at the time never mind the pearly!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Hattigol said:
    crunchman said:
    The PRS S2 Satins are superb guitars.  The only reason not to gig one of those is snobbery.
    Or you think they look absolutely revolting, which I suspect makes up a good proportion. 

I prefer the look to most of the blinged up "Core" PRS guitars.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited April 2020
    Voxman said:

That was a lot of money in those days. More interestingly, it would have been like buying a 2011 guitar today.

Adjusted for inflation, $250.00 in 1968 is equal to $1,895.09 in 2020.
    Annual inflation over this period was 3.97%.

Value today of a 1959 LP Standard (ignoring ownership) - what do you reckon, $250,000? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Give me a Harley Benton with the pickups changed any day of the week over this.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1429
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:

Adjusted for inflation, $250.00 in 1968 is equal to $1,895.09 in 2020.
    Annual inflation over this period was 3.97%.

Value today of a 1959 LP Standard (ignoring ownership) - what do you reckon, $250,000? 
    Yes, of course. I was just pointing out that the guitar probably wasn't much of a bargain at the time. $250 for a 9 year old guitar was probably a fair price. If only time machines existed.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2020
    For £20k I could get a nice "replica" sunburst and have enough change left over to buy a Honda S2000.

So I'd do that.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    edited April 2020
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9393
    edited April 2020
    roberty said:
    Tax write off/investment
    How can you write off tax by buying a guitar?
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    roberty said:
    Tax write off
    How can you write off tax by buying a guitar?
    A professional musician can - Asset within the company/accounts and/or capital expenditure with a 20% devaluation each year