Families Photos

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
I did try to get my guitars together for a "family" shot ... but it didn't really work.

So, instead, here's a few of the families with their own family shots.
:D

First up, the course builds

From LtoR, 1, 2, & 4 are Bailey Builds, the YamSG alike was from a course that Neil Morgan was going to run (but I'm not sure that he ever did more than two).  I made this, with @Sporky on his "test run" course.

My first-ever build.  Never thought that I'd be able to do it.  And it was genuinely a life-changing experience.  Who thought that a week in a shed in Scotland would have such consequences!

Really simple - Solid Ash body, maple neck, ebony FB.  IIRC, It's now got a pair of Iron Gear p'pups in it.

About 18mths later, I went back to Mark's workshop to build another ...

... slightly more complicated this time, with an Amazique top that weighs more than something that's really really heavy.  Iron Gear p'ups again.

The Morgan build - mahogany neck & body with a pretty maple cap.  SD  P-Rails and a Varitone circuit too, just in case the P-Rails  didn't give quite enough options!

And the final Bailey build from 2012 - wow, the last 8 years have just disappeared somewhere because it really doesn't feel *that* long ago.

BKP P'ups this time (Stormy Mondays / Mules - I don't actually remember!) with the GK-2A too.

Some beautiful timbers on this one, and a way more complicated structure.  As well a the  5 piece thru neck, the body is also 3 piece construction, with a veneer layer between the main body and cap which this in-build pic shows ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Second family is the put-together family.  I didn't make these, but  put them together with more or less effort on my part from work of others.

Apart from the blue guitar on the right, these are all @GSPBASSES  raw bodies that I've put together and finished (or had finished in the case of the red & white guitars).

Better pic of the guitars because - lets be honest - no-one's that interested in basses
    :D

So, the three on the left were all Graham's handiwork.  The white one is lighter than a balloon.

Pickups from Ash (Left), BKP Bootcamp (middle) and Mojo (the LP).

The odd-one-out blue one is a stonking guitar with a beautiful mahog body and a great 3 piece neck with some even greater fretboard inlays.   

Originally from @guitargeek62 , my value-add was the birds eye maple top (which, if you look carefully, you'll see is wedge shaped and thinner at the neck than at the bottom end), finishing and putting together. 

The p'up is an @OilCityPickups  special from years ago.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    TTony said:
    let's be honest - no-one's that interested in basses
    I see what you did there. Bridgehouse hasn't bitten yet.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And the final (for now because the sun has gone to hide behind a cloud!) family is the "No, I really did build these myself" (mostly) family ...

I say "mostly" because I can't claim to have done any of the necks!    The necks are either the excellent work of Mr GSP again, or in the case of the left-most Tele, Mr Warmoth.

This one is really quite good - though I say so myself!  Lovely piece of Korina and one of Graham's necks.  It's an Alegree pickup this time, though I can't remember which one!

That Tele doesn't look anything special from a distance.  But it's a RW neck which feels sublime, and the p'up is another of Ash's - an (early)  overwound Diesel Tap that is way beyond sublime!  Both pots and push/pulls too.  Who says single p'up guitars are one-trick ponys?

Another one-pickup guitar, this time built around a Gibson Nighthawk p'up that I grabbed from someone on the forum years ago.  The neck on this one is a bit special too.  I'd bought a RW blank from DD's years ago, but never felt confident enough at turning it into a decent neck.

The solution - of course - is to send the blank to Graham and ask him to do his usual neck-building magic!

Single piece Walnut top over another piece of Korina, with Gibson PAFs.

TBH, it's OK, but isn't the first guitar that I reach for!

Forgot to take the extra pics of this one ...

I was fettling it last night, and obviously forgot to put the knobs back on it!!

I don't have many SC guitars ...

Chambered Ash body with Walnut top that got the Wez wetsanding treatment.  P'ups are Oil Citys, neck  from Graham and other hardware from Grainger.

Last, but not least ...

.... ok, it probably *is* least!

About as simple as it can get.  The mini toggle is a blower switch just because.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Wow, quite a collection. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Amazing. How do you feel about Hollowbodies/laminates?
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Wow. Really inspiring to see.
    Oh to be in lockdown with a workshop and some wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    That’s not 46 guitars ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Amazing. How do you feel about Hollowbodies/laminates?
    I've never built one @danishbacon - but there's always time!

DrBob said:
    That’s not 46 guitars ! 
    That's not *all* the families @DrBob .  Notice the absence of Kawais???
    ;)

• Absolutely stunning, every single one :+1: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Amazing stuff all round Tony - particularly love that TV Yellow strat! Also, credit where it's due - the neck on the blue one was built by Wez, I only spec'd it! :)
    Actually, this has me thinking again - @TTony ;how are the wudtone finishes holding up for you? I never got around to trying any but like the concept. :)
     particularly love that TV Yellow strat! 
    Hmmmmm ... I *was* going to disassemble that one @guitargeek62, just in the interests of making some room!

If I've got a suitable box ....

Family #4

The acoustics 

On the left, my Yamaha somthing-or-other from 1981.    I'd taken a day trip to Manchester, in the days when there were half a dozen good musical instrument shops on the edge of the city centre, with the intention of buying one of those new-fangled "synth" things, some hair gel and eye shadow.

(I made up the bit about hair gel and eye shadow).

Instead, I came home with that acoustic.  

Absolutely quality instrument.

A few (37, I think) years later, and I bought my second acoustic.

Faith FG1NCE, PJE Legacy Neptune (Electro).  Took a bit of a gamble with this, but absolutely glad that I did.

And then this one followed a year or so later ...

It was in the GV "Boss gone mad slightly irritated sale", so we had a chat and the Boss went mad enough to make it a no-brainer.

For some reason, I'm good at no-brainers.  They also sent me a pic of the back ... at which point there really wasn't a decision to be made.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Actually, this has me thinking again - @TTony ;how are the wudtone finishes holding up for you? I never got around to trying any but like the concept. :)
    To be fair, they've lasted OK.  They can be a bugger to  apply and get a decent finish, but once on, OK.

I've  started using the Crimson stains more recently - they're much easier to use.
    Good to know - thanks! I'll check out Crimson then instead - I'm only after a basic trans-black stain, with a simple clearcoat over that.

Don't even try and tempt me with the SC! I've already bought two guitars and a Helix this month!  :#
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576
    Beautiful guitars. Is that your backyard? 
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    Wow that’s some garden 
    Wow that’s some garden 
    We're in the country (see Deer, oh deer thread!) @musicman100

The upside to living in the country is that gardens can be bigger. 

There are downsides (3mb broadband, the nearest shop is 3miles away, Deliveroo - Deliverlols, I spend 4hrs a day commuting when I'm working, no mains gas, no mains sewerage .....)  I could write a list.  ;)
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Wow. Some fantastic looking guitars there. I’m well impressed. 
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Oh and I won’t complain about my 7 meg broadband again either.