New Paypal terms. Must read for sellers

What's Hot

Comments

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    but it will die in 180 days!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    PayPal are now a bank but due to the way they operate out of Luxenbourg, are not bound by ANY of the legislation governing nearly every other global bank... so they do what they like... If they were called Nige-bank no one would go near them but in reality they operate even sharper underhand practises! 

Instead of the EU pissing about stopping access to Pirate Bay etc they should set about curtailing these evil Ba$tards...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    57Deluxe said:
    PayPal are now a bank but due to the way they operate out of Luxenbourg, are not bound by ANY of the legislation governing nearly every other global bank... so they do what they like... If they were called Nige-bank no one would go near them but in reality they operate even sharper underhand practises! 

Instead of the EU pissing about stopping access to Pirate Bay etc they should set about curtailing these evil Ba$tards...
    For the sake of balance  - Paypal Europe is registered as a bank in Luxembourg, as you say, but it is regulated - by the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur. Whether it should have trading arms based in every European country is a different question, but to say it is unregulated is incorrect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    ^^
    And we all know how tough the regulatory body in Luxembourg is. 

Paypal in the UK is voluntarily registered with the Financial Ombudsman Service. The voluntary nature means that Paypal can choose which parts of its business can be investigated by the FOS. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    ^^ All true, and I agree that Paypal can be a royal pain in the arse. I'm just trying to inject some balance into this thread. So why I'm at it,I think the change to 180 days was as a result of a Change.org petition by PayPal users for them to do that, link below. 

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/paypal-to-increase-the-limit-to-six-months-of-buyer-protection-for-faulty-goods-and-chargebacks?recruiter=46423562&utm_campaign=mailto_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition
    edited June 2014
    Nah, I don't think one grammatically shite petition did much. Digital purchases like tickets were the driving force behind it. Stubhub is a major player in the ticket market and Ebay owns Stubhub. I'd suggest Ebay brought in the 180 day rule on Paypal to cover their arses on Stubhub sales.  

But I do think the Paypal changes will see Ebay stretching their protection from 45 days to something greater and that coupled with the managed returns programme will signal some major changes in Ebay seller numbers. 

edited June 2014

180 days of protection but the postal service is limited for claims... 

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/claims-process-for-inland-items

When to claim

• We cannot accept a claim for loss unless 15 working days or more have passed since the item was due to be delivered (10 working days for Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm™ items).
    • Claims for loss, part loss or damage must be made within 80 calendar days of the date they were posted.
    • Claims for delay must be made within 3 months of posting by the sender or 1 month of receipt by the recipient. 

Yeah, but isn't the problem the eBay/PayPal hegemony? There are already well established alternatives for arms length payment, like Google Wallet, but eBay insist on PayPal. 

I don't think it's likely that eBay/PayPal's customer treatment (especially sellers) will improve significantly until there is an established competitor. The sad truth is if you want to advertise goods to the biggest global audience eBay can't be beaten at the moment, despite the cost and potential pitfalls.
    edited June 2014
    Part of the problem for any rival auction site is that Paypal dominates online payment. Like I said earlier in the thread, any rival auction site is still going to be contributing dinero to Ebay because people will use Paypal. 

Google Wallet is nowhere close to the simplicity and coverage of Paypal. 

If Amazon is really going to step into the payments world, then they could dominate. Ebay tried to turn itself into an Amazon rival and failed. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Amazon could get into the auction world and have everything the average buyer would need: the main Amazon site for new items, an auction site for oddments, and a reliable form of electronic payment that wasn't Paypal. 

Ebay's greatest advantage is the audience figures it brings in. 

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited June 2014
    I agree that Amazon is the only company with any clout that has the structure to pull it off against eBay. And also setting up a new payment method that is fairer in the seller too.

Another rip off for the eBay seller is that they've recently started charging sellers to stick a reserve on items.

I wanted to put a £200 reserve on an item , and to use the reserve function they wanted to charge me £17.50 which was to be added to my account balance at that time. So if I wanted to cover 2 category's then double it to £35. That's before I've even listed the item.

So should bidding not reach the reserve then it's cost £17.50/ £35 plus the listing fee on top just for the privilege of listing an item.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    They do that because a lot of sellers use a deliberately high reserve to find a valuation, knowing that it won't sell - or as a 'shop window' to attract off-site deals - hence depriving Ebay of the final value fee... and if it does sell they get both. Cake and eat it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;267238" said:
    Cake and eat it.
    Wouldn't be any fun if they didn't have if all their own way
    ICBM said:
    They do that because a lot of sellers use a deliberately high reserve to find a valuation, knowing that it won't sell - or as a 'shop window' to attract off-site deals - hence depriving Ebay of the final value fee... and if it does sell they get both. Cake and eat it.
    Since the software came in last year that automatically blocks messages featuring email addresses, it's a lot harder for off-site deals to take place. 

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Since the software came in last year that automatically blocks messages featuring email addresses, it's a lot harder for off-site deals to take place. 
    Ways of bypassing?
    Beyond sending a mobile number?
  • Mobile number or nothing now.
    ^^
    Yep. Mobile or nowt. 

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    The software is flawed, for my bigger items like guitars etc, I usually end up doing a deal outside of ebay (my little bit of rebellion against ebay) so to bypass the email firewall, I always write emails as mr........atgeemale dontcom and it always works, I have never had a buyer not get this :)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    also with mobile number  just use alternatives eg i use owe severn double owe 7 4223 nine two etc, again always works :)