Anyone else less of a guitar snob these days?

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
edited April 2020 in Guitar
I realised the only   2 brand new guitars I have bought in the last 10 years have been korean, granted high end but still,
One a strandberg Boden and the other D'angelico. 

15years ago it was usa or UK only and I wouldnt even consider anything else,  but now I don't care, I care about feel tone and playability, which the far east these days seem to have nailed.

I went to a battle of the bands  last month  7 bands and not one had a usa made guitar it was all LTD or Schecher, prs se etc.
The only difference I see is resale, I have had 2 usa fenders in the last year and they didn't get played a quarter as much as the Korean ones,

Anyone else "seen the light"? I can now 100 percent say usa are not better guitars, like they used to be. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Nope
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27219
    Honestly, no. I know what I like and it's usually expensive... :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2219
    Ha, trying but it's hard to kick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 954
    Nope, go to will probably always be my US made PRS.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14363
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
    As an overview I'm a self confessed guitar snob - Not necessarily to a brand, but to quality - however and I've said this many times, that the mid/low end market place is better now than ever before - I've either owned or do own and play a few budget guitars, that are either stock or customised, but even such guitars have to have some 'character' that makes them appealing - For instance a 1983 MIJ Squier H2 that I've owned now for well over 10 years - It is not as slick to play as my main PRS, but it has something about it that makes it enjoyable to play

Yes I'm spoilt with the sheer amount of guitars that I get to handle on a regular basis, but any guitar I own has to have some appeal to it - Maybe an obvious statement, but in the main I'm a guitar snob and proud of it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    I don't own a guitar that cost more than £250, if they are setup well and the pickups are ok then I can't see what the point of buying anything more expensive for myself. I do get why others enjoy expensive guitars though, it's just not for me
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Wow, OK, is it an age thing then? 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    No. I’ve tried so hard but my rig is USA city, well guitars and amp anyhow. The Far East make a better product than, for example, a Gibson, but Gibson make a better musical instrument.
    Sounds daft? I’ve fairly recently bought a PES SE One Korean made and its stunningly well built and plays very nice. I’ve also recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Special, a few small parts of the build are CDT project-esq, but it smells of ice cream and knocks the PRS into a cocked hat tone-wise.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Yeah, but my amp snobbery is developing.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    I don't look down on other brands but all of my guitars/basses are Fender, Gibson, PRS, Suhr, Anderson, Kinman, Maton, Martin, Fylde, Forshage, Lorca, Musicman- basically high end mass produced, boutique or bespoke, plus a few self-builds.

That isn't snobbery in my book- I just like what I like.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    Most of my guitars either have no name on the headstock (they’re my own builds) or have names that wouldn’t make the “top 10” of most guitar buyers.

1 Gibson
    0 Fender
    3 PRS

But none of the names gets played as much as the no-names.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I’ve got an Indonesian guitar and a PRS a Private stock.

Ive also as many polish guitars as American.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    Last guitar bought - Vintage V300 acoustic
    Last amp bought - Peavey Studio Pro 112
    Last pedal bought - Behringer Ultra Metal

So probably not much of a snob these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pjfpjf Frets: 331
    I think I’m less of a snob, yes. Right now I have guitars at various price points and honestly enjoy each of them for what they bring. Example: I don’t expect my Epi EJ200 to compete with some of my custom build acoustics for solo fingerstyle pieces, but it’s fantastic and the obvious choice for bashing out some Oasis. 

I like to think I would give all guitars that look and sound and feel good to me a fair shot. In reality I probably have my biases, as we all do. But I will say this: sometimes it’s much nicer to discover a guitar that punches far above its weight for the price than to buy a more expensive guitar that, quite rightly, should be “better”. Hope that makes sense :S
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JanekLubanskiJanekLubanski Frets: 167
    edited April 2020
    Cheap and cheerful for me. Which might be rather self limiting regarding my actual playing technique not getting better over the years.....but I just blame it on the crappy guitar that I have.....and wonder if a top end axe would allow for me to be a better player. Probably not.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I play Yamaha electrics. I love them. Reliable. Great build quality. Stay in tune better than any Fender or Gibson I’ve ever owned/played. Last guitar I got is a Yamaha ERG - HSH configuration - on EBay for £35. Admittedly that was incredibly cheap because the seller didn’t have a clue. 2 hrs set up and I’d match it to any £700+ Fender. 
    It’s about playability and sound for me. Couldn’t give a crap what transfer sticker is on the headstock. 
    I’ve been playing for 40 yrs so I have probably played every major brand (and a few wtf! forgotten brands) in my time. I love Yamahas.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    I can’t afford to be a snob, though would absolutely love a Novo, and probably a really nice LP. 2 x Epi’s and a partscater Tele for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Couldn't care less what it says on the headstock.
    If it sounds good, it's good enough for me.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    It’s a balance for me...... I’m never paying £5k for a lump of wood, but I do like nice gear...I also don’t feel worthy as a player to spend loads, but I like to get as good as gear as I can without going daft....I don’t sound that much better with a £2k guitar but I know I’ll sound as good as I’m gonna.... :)