Strymon Iridium - Long Review - And Why It Simply Works...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    I'd be really interested in getting one, but the only thing that puts me off is I'd want a delay after the Iridium and that would make it annoying to use with headphones.
    I always thought an integrated effects loop would have been a cool feature.

Exactly, if it had one I'd probably have already bought one.

I think my ideal rig would be just the iridium + a drive pedal and a delay, but I wouldn't want the delay into the front of the amp for the drive sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One unintentional but very welcome aspect to the Iridium is that I, as a completely blind guitarplayer, can use it independently...well I can't change IRs but I can dial in a good sound. That is something I cannot do with digital guitar tech from literally any other provider I've tried. I love the thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited April 2021
    I'd be really interested in getting one, but the only thing that puts me off is I'd want a delay after the Iridium and that would make it annoying to use with headphones.
    I always thought an integrated effects loop would have been a cool feature.

Exactly, if it had one I'd probably have already bought one.

I think my ideal rig would be just the iridium + a drive pedal and a delay, but I wouldn't want the delay into the front of the amp for the drive sounds.
    Honestly, if I was gigging, I’d pick up one of these in a heartbeat and build a small board around it for an amp-less set up. Piece of piss taking a small board and a gig bag to the rehearsal studio/The Dog & Duck...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I agree - I guess the argument is that the amps they're modelled on don't have or need FX loops either but it'd be nice to have. That and the lack of an aux in make it kind of useless for my uses - would have to use some kind of pedalboard sized mixer & headphone amp to get the best out of it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    I agree - I guess the argument is that the amps they're modelled on don't have or need FX loops either but it'd be nice to have. That and the lack of an aux in make it kind of useless for my uses - would have to use some kind of pedalboard sized mixer & headphone amp to get the best out of it.

Given that it's already got reverb I could just jam a tape delay in the front.
    It's what EVH and Page did anyway.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Yeah I quite like analog delay in front of the amp, it feels more like you're "playing" the delay but it doesn't sit as nicely behind the dry signal for padding out lead tones as well as it does in the loop. The thing that annoys me with it in front of the amp is that the sound and mix changes when you roll down the guitar volume to clean up whereas in the loop it stays consistent.