Pickguard/Scratchplate Quandary

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
First world problems I know, but hey, it's a guitar forum. 

This here is my EJ Strat, with which I am well pleased.  But one thing about it bugs me disproportionately: while I'm sure it's an authentic 'Vintage' feature, the one-ply white scratch plate looks naff, cheap and nasty on what is otherwise a muy elegante piece of kit.   

On virtually anything else I'd stick tort on, because inside every tort guard rests a little piece of the soul of a 60's or 70's rocker who burned twice as bright but half as long, but having considered some mock-ups (samples below) I think that black may be more the thing.  Or what about the dark delights of anodised? Wood?  Embossed leather?

Any thoughts?  Anyone got a burst/white pickup/black or tort guard combo of their own they are willing to show for compare and contrast purposes?  

Oh, and it's also sans those little felt washer thingies that protect the body from the strap pins being screwed in too tight.  Anybody know where I can score a pair?

I think I have too much time on my hands...  Anyway: examples!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    I only like tort on sunburst if it's rosewood usually but with that crazy f hole who knows!  I like an anodized guard and that black looks nice, feels more 70s style to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72532
    Tortoise always looks wrong with 50s-style colour schemes, to me. So does black, other than on butterscotch Teles.

I would go for anodised, three-ply parchment or white pearl.

Don't use the little felt things, they prevent the strap buttons being screwed in properly tight. Tight is good when it's holding up an expensive guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1305
    The best tort you can get is by Spitfire, though unfortunately it costs an arm and a leg though occasionally a 2nd hand guard comes up for sale.

Otherwise, check out Jacks Instrument Services in Manchester. I’m sure they could hook you up with a slightly less new looking white guard with an appropriate bevel and ply number. Of course they can also do tort, though even the high quality modern stuff has a bang of corn beefed off it in my opinion
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2209
    edited April 2020
    I love the look of the single ply white guard on a two tone sunburst and don't think that looks cheap / naff. 

But maybe a tastefully aged one would look good:  https://crazyparts.de/art-of-aging/pickguards-for-fender/st-guards/aoa-50s-white-single-layer-strat-guard.php

Agree the black one is also a good look, but I wouldn't go for tort (personally). 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    Just get a good quality w/b/w with a nicely bevelled edge and call it done. 

Single ply white is fine for 50s authenticity, but that has an f-hole anyway. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14326
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Tortoise always looks wrong with 50s-style colour schemes, to me. So does black, other than on butterscotch Teles.

agree

@jerkmoans - That pic does make the s/plate look to clean/sterile - hence agree with @ICBM ; about finding a parchment s/plate 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    You want to highlight the f-hole with fluorescent lime green pin-striping.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2209
    Raw Aluminium?  Like the 'El Diablo' Strat 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    munckee said:
    I only like tort on sunburst if it's rosewood usually but with that crazy f hole who knows!  I like an anodized guard and that black looks nice, feels more 70s style to me.
    70s is a vibe I can dig :sunglasses: 

And disseth not the f-hole of ultimate resonance :mrgreen: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited April 2020

ICBM said:

Don't use the little felt things, they prevent the strap buttons being screwed in properly tight. Tight is good when it's holding up an expensive guitar .
    Good point re little felt washer thingies: hadn't thought of that.

Am googling anodised.  Some a bit garish for what I'm after.  Hmmm...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

The best tort you can get is by Spitfire, though unfortunately it costs an arm and a leg though occasionally a 2nd hand guard comes up for sale.

Otherwise, check out Jacks Instrument Services in Manchester. I’m sure they could hook you up with a slightly less new looking white guard with an appropriate bevel and ply number. Of course they can also do tort, though even the high quality modern stuff has a bang of corn beefed off it in my opinion
    Yeah: I went nuts about 3 years ago and put a Spitfire on my Jazzmaster.  What with import costs and all the rest of it, about the most expensive piece of plastic this side of Space Shuttle parts :D 

Jacks' site is cool: almost spoilt for choice.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

Fishboy7 said:
    I love the look of the single ply white guard on a two tone sunburst and don't think that looks cheap / naff. 

But maybe a tastefully aged one would look good:  https://crazyparts.de/art-of-aging/pickguards-for-fender/st-guards/aoa-50s-white-single-layer-strat-guard.php

Agree the black one is also a good look, but I wouldn't go for tort (personally). 

Nice idea: perhaps I could bury mine in the garden/let the dog play with it :D 

Will check out the crazy parts site.  Thanks for the heads up.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

p90fool said:
    Just get a good quality w/b/w with a nicely bevelled edge and call it done. 

Single ply white is fine for 50s authenticity, but that has an f-hole anyway. 
    F holes are the New Way.  You heard it here first :)

Still not convinced about white.  Think I'll have a play on the Fender design your own app thing.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

ICBM said:

agree

@jerkmoans - That pic does make the s/plate look to clean/sterile - hence agree with @ICBM ; about finding a parchment s/plate 
    Thanks for the suggestion ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I have pondered your situation over a cup of tea and would humbly suggest an anodised guard with black plastics. 

Sassafras said:
    You want to highlight the f-hole with fluorescent lime green pin-striping.
    Well dur.  Mixed with dayglo orange pickup covers and a puce headstock paint job.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

Fishboy7 said:
    Raw Aluminium?  Like the 'El Diablo' Strat 
    *googles*
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    I think I have an anodized gold 8 hole somewhere but too relic’d for your pristine Strat. Also have an 8 hole really garish mint green one I think. 
    KKJale said:
    I have pondered your situation over a cup of tea and would humbly suggest an anodised guard with black plastics. 
    I shall briefly rise to consider your submissions :mrgreen: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

munckee said:
    I think I have an anodized gold 8 hole somewhere but too relic’d for your pristine Strat. Also have an 8 hole really garish mint green one I think. 
    No harm in letting me have a look at the gold one...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer