Television repair - help required

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I've got a Samsung 22" flatscreen TV that's about 14 years old. Only use it in the mornings to look at teletext. The other day, it refused to switch on, and I'm wondering if it might be a simple fix, cos I can't get it to a repairer right now.

The blue standby light comes on when I switch the mains power on, and flashes when I press the on/off on the remote, but no picture or sound comes up. Same happens with the manual button on the front.

Took it apart, and I can't see any thing obvious, no burnt caps or resistors, put it back together and it's the same. Any advice on a fix is welcome. If it's fucked though, I'll have to buy another one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Built in obsolescence I fear, pony up for a new one online or wait until you can get it to a repairer - and even then it's probably the end
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11485
    If you want a similar screen size, then Richer Sounds do 24" TVs starting from £119 - with a 6 year guarantee.  Unless it's something you can fix easily yourself, it's not really worth repairing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6203
    edited April 2020
    Any bulging electrolytic capacitors?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    edited April 2020
    Might be worth trying a reset - I can remember that my Brother in Laws Samsung did something similar and was cured by a reset.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/428178/Can't+turn+on+my+TV.

Teletxt???? I thought that service was terminated years ago?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12450
    Somehow I doubt a repair on a 14 year old telly is going to be economical. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    boogieman said:
    Somehow I doubt a repair on a 14 year old telly is going to be economical. 

^^^^This
    if you can not fix it yourself buy a new one
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483
    Almost always bad caps on the secondary side of the SMPS on all the TV's I do  .. look at @equalsql ; post above
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9674
    Why are you still watching teletext?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited April 2020
    I couldn't see any burnt or bulging caps, no sign of any component damage I can see at all. If I post a photo, can someone point out the caps in question for me? As a retiree, I have to watch the pennies these days, so if I can fix it without buying a new one that would be good. I watch teletext new in the morning, because I can't be bothered listening to news presenters dragging out news stories, I just want the salient points, that's all. I'm not gonna die in a ditch alongside it if it's dead, but it would be nice to fix it.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    edited April 2020
    Actually I'm confused by your statement on Teletext. Teletext / Ceefax was a service on Analogue TV only - Analogue was switched off in the UK in 2013 so your TV must have Digital Terrestrial OR be receiving Digital TV from an external source (Digibox / Skybox)? Even then, the basic Teletext type replacement service was suspended a few years ago so I don't know what you have been watching?

EDIT - Just seen that the Teletext Replacement Service aka BBC Red Button was originally scheduled to be turned off in January 2020 but was kept running due to protests.
  • If you can repair it, repair it - good on you for trying. Consigning otherwise perfectly good kit to waste can't be a good thing in the long run... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    exocet said:
    Actually I'm confused by your statement on Teletext. Teletext / Ceefax was a service on Analogue TV only - Analogue was switched off in the UK in 2013 so your TV must have Digital Terrestrial OR be receiving Digital TV from an external source (Digibox / Skybox)? Even then, the basic Teletext type replacement service was suspended a few years ago so I don't know what you have been watching?

EDIT - Just seen that the Teletext Replacement Service aka BBC Red Button was originally scheduled to be turned off in January 2020 but was kept running due to protests.

That's probably only a short to medium term reprieve though.

I'd be looking for a new way of consuming news.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19135
    I couldn't see any burnt or bulging caps, no sign of any component damage I can see at all. If I post a photo, can someone point out the caps in question for me? As a retiree, I have to watch the pennies these days, so if I can fix it without buying a new one that would be good. I watch teletext new in the morning, because I can't be bothered listening to news presenters dragging out news stories, I just want the salient points, that's all. I'm not gonna die in a ditch alongside it if it's dead, but it would be nice to fix it.
    @chillidoggy ;  Minor point, but it might help if we knew where you were based? Could help a lot in finding someone local to help you out.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    If you can repair it, repair it - good on you for trying. Consigning otherwise perfectly good kit to waste can't be a good thing in the long run... 

I agree but if you have to pay someone to fix it then its not worth it. I bet it will cost £60 to £100 for a professional repair and Argos has a new one for £119
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4974
    You might be able to get a USB adapter so you can view on your computer.

I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi and am debating one of their TV adapters; I don't know if it does the text stuff though.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited April 2020

Given I only use the TV for an absolute maximum of 10 minutes a day, it's difficult to justify a new one if I can fix it for the sake of a component or two and a soldering job. Fair enough, if I can't, then I'll have to buy another one. I'm sat on my arse like most people, and I now see there's another 3 weeks of isolation, so I thought I might as well have a go at it.

Teletext - they were going to shut it down in January, but if I read it right, so many old farts like me complained it was a vital service, the decision has now been kicked into the long grass.

EDIT - I could always send it to @Emp_Fab to be fixed.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Given I only use the TV for an absolute maximum of 10 minutes a day, it's difficult to justify a new one if I can fix it for the sake of a component or two and a soldering job. Fair enough, if I can't, then I'll have to buy another one. I'm sat on my arse like most people, and I now see there's another 3 weeks of isolation, so I thought I might as well have a go at it.

Teletext - they were going to shut it down in January, but if I read it right, so many old farts like me complained it was a vital service, the decision has now been kicked into the long grass.

EDIT - I could always send it to @Emp_Fab to be fixed.

Cue the thread about trying to find lime green power supply caps!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Teletext on a 22inch TV  you are truly living in 2001, 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    My Samsung did the same thing after being just over a year old. The engineer came round, took the back of the telly off pulled out a circuit board and replaced it with a new one. It took him about 15 minutes to do the job. £250. Because the telly cost me nearly £800 and was only about 14 months old I had it done, had it been an older one I wouldn't have paid it.
    One other thing, he also told me the circuit board that he fitted was not the right one for my TV as since I'd bought it Samsung had brought out an upgraded model and they only had spares for the newer ones. The telly works fine as a telly, but when I go on the internet it takes ages to load up so I rarely bother with it.
    My advice to you is dump it and get a new one......preferably a different make too. A lot of my family and friends have LG Smart TVs and have had no problems with them.
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    See if anyone is selling the same model on eBay that has a broken panel. Swap parts like main board, power board etc into yours.