Television repair - help required

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I think I’ve found the problem. Took it to bits again, and spotted a 1200uf capacitor with a blown top. Ordered a replacement pack for £3.25. If that does the job, I’ll be well chuffed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    I think I’ve found the problem. Took it to bits again, and spotted a 1200uf capacitor with a blown top. Ordered a replacement pack for £3.25. If that does the job, I’ll be well chuffed.
    Well done, if more people fixed things instead of binning them the planet would last a lot longer. 

I'm sure you know this but make sure they got in right way round .... a friend of mine brought a cap repair kit of Ebay and was bemused when he fitted them and the whole board blew up ..... when he gave it to me I saw only 2 out of 5 caps were the right way round
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers! You could well have averted a crushing disappointment!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dodgy capacitor replaced - job done! All working a treat, and saved me £115.50!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19063
    Great news. The resistance movement against obsolescence scores another victory :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    This is the most interesting thread for ages.  It even had a happy end!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Well done, Go You etc ! 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 134
    edited April 2020
    I fixed my 42" Samsung a couple of years ago.

First the TV inputs died, which wasn't an issue, I dont watch that crap, then the HDMIs went.  Took it apart, got a replacement main board on eBay for £30.  Worked perfectly.   When taking it apart though I found the fault, on the backside of the main board a huge heatpad over the main processor had slide down, and was only covering 1/3rd of it.  

Overheating over a period of years, I suspect the pad never was positioned correctly from new.  The fault started about 13 months after buying TV, Samsung didn't want to know.  

A 7 year old Toshiba with dead tuner, was fixed, by Toshiba sending me a card to stick in the back and refresh the corrupt OS, free of charge.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Now I need to check the crossover network in my Celestion Ditton 25 to see if a capacitor popped!!! 

I understand that it is the most likely component to have blown and caused one speaker to stop working. 

I'm no electronics expert and without the advice on here, I'd have been knackered, so thanks to the FB and you fine fellows I now have a functioning TV that I can watch Teletext on to my heart's content!

I do however manage to keep my 32 year old central heating boiler going, much to the wife's annoyance cos she wants a new one. By this statement, I've probably put the mockers on it now.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472

I'm no electronics expert and without the advice on here, I'd have been knackered, so thanks to the FB and you fine fellows I now have a functioning TV that I can watch Teletext on to my heart's content!

I do however manage to keep my 32 year old central heating boiler going, much to the wife's annoyance cos she wants a new one. By this statement, I've probably put the mockers on it now.

A new one might save you more in the long run.  They tend to be a lot more efficient.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4302
    Great news. The resistance capacitance movement against obsolescence scores another victory :+1: 
    Fixed :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ;) :)

Not a Potterton by any chance is it?
    I have been keeping my similar vintage boiler going by repairing the circuit board which is a known weak point in an other wise bulletproof boiler.
    Offsetting the costs of running a less efficient boiler against the costs of a new one, is a balancing equation but I'm happy enough to keep it running as long as I can.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595

I have been keeping my similar vintage boiler going by repairing the circuit board which is a known weak point in an other wise bulletproof boiler.
    Offsetting the costs of running a less efficient boiler against the costs of a new one, is a balancing equation but I'm happy enough to keep it running as long as I can.
    I've got a potterton neataheat that was installed In 1982 and two respected plumbists have both said it's likely to last longer than anything modern I might replace it with! Brilliant big of kit that occasionally gets the benefit of some percussive maintenance. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    edited April 2020

I had the same problem with a Potterton at my old place. I reflowed the joints on the board a couple of times which fixed it for a while but eventually had to buy an upgraded pcb...it was smothered in goop like a Vertex pedal to stop it flexing.

Well done Chilli by the way.  ;)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    This is the most interesting thread for ages.  It even had a happy end!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72708
    Well done :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My boiler is an Ideal Elan 60. It's so simple, easier to fix than a Fender, and there's a fantastic troubleshooting flow chart for it. Not that I need it these days, the only thing I haven't replaced over the years is the heat exchanger and the casing. Once the heat exchanger goes, it's game over, though.

A new one is going to cost the thick end of a couple of grand to get installed, so I'm keeping it going for now. As my gas and lecky bills combined total about £1,300 a year for fairly large house, I can't imagine I would make enough savings on boiler efficiency to warrant a new one.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472

My boiler is an Ideal Elan 60. It's so simple, easier to fix than a Fender, and there's a fantastic troubleshooting flow chart for it. Not that I need it these days, the only thing I haven't replaced over the years is the heat exchanger and the casing. Once the heat exchanger goes, it's game over, though.

A new one is going to cost the thick end of a couple of grand to get installed, so I'm keeping it going for now. As my gas and lecky bills combined total about £1,300 a year for fairly large house, I can't imagine I would make enough savings on boiler efficiency to warrant a new one.

I take it you don't have a wife and daughters who that like to run baths that come up to the overflow on a regular basis (not to mention not switching off lights and other electrical equipment).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom