Low Profile Wraparound bridge ideas .

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a low profile wraparound bridge for a modern JB SG guitar ,

I have tried a wilkinson unit but still not still not low enough and the B string and E string did not have enough tension so kept slipping out of place   , I think the neck has been set slightly off it originally had a standard unit and the action was around 4mm at the 12th fret with the bridge screwed all the way down .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1797
    Schaller Signum might be worth a look.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    edited April 2020
    Can you recess the posts into the body - that'll give you a bit more flexibility on which bridge to use ...

[edit]
    You can just about see with this one (one I did earlier!) the top of the stud is recessed into the body meaning the bridge can be lowered right down.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    In addition to Tony's point, the TonePros bridge stud inserts don't have a flange around their top so you don't need to alter the top too much. The studs are a great option as they lock down on to the bridge too so they hold it nice and tight in position. I just got a pair from @FelineGuitars ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    What's a JB SG guitar? JB=?

Is the neck nice and straight?
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Is it a JB Player?
    I figured it was the Joe Bonamassa SG
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    I have a tonepros avt2 I could measure if it helps. 
  • Its one of  John Birch guitars which they tried to relaunch in  2000s ( made in Korea or china ) , I bought two from GH auction one gloss which has the " Tony Iommi " schaller bridge and a satin version which is lower spec and has the issues  . 

The inserts have been recessed but even with the bridge sitting on the body its still high .. will update with some pictures tommorow . 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
    Ah like this? The construction is more like a Fender bridge and much lower. You'll never find a wrapover that works as the neck angle is much too shallow.

Maybe John Birch can supply one?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    Have you tried the Schaller bridge on both guitars?

I have swapped between a Schaller and original JB bridge before without any height issues... but it wasn't on a JB guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Have you tried the Schaller bridge on both guitars?
    That's a very good point.
  • Thanks for the suggestions . Not too sure of the history of the guitars , from what  I can gather someone tried to relanch the brand in the 2000s
     and made a few models or trade shows and to demonstrate the pickups .

here are some pictures or both guitars

Thanks didnt think to try the Schaller bridge , its a  456  is now discontinued and if they do come up for sale used are really expensive due to the Tony Iommi connection ( dont think Jaydee use them now on the signature model ) .  Was hoping for that a standard low profile bridge would do the job as the satin one looks to be one the budget range or prototype.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    Ah, I didn't realise they had been discontinued... Think I have parts of one in a box somewhere as I have used a few on my own builds.

I out one on a JB style SG I made, and later swapped it for a vintage JB bridge

So how high is the action on the problem one?
  • Just got around to trying the Schaller bridge on the satin guitar and its about the same height as when the wilkinson bridge is installed  ..  Guess it might be an issue with the neck angle . 

Sounds like, best option may be to recess the whole bridge a bit
  • musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited April 2020
    Thanks will try.. Just noticed that the schaller bridge leans forward slightly on the gloss model is this an issue with the studs being the wrong size or something else.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    That needs shims to tighten up the fit of the bridge onto the posts, or posts that fit better.

If you were putting one on the other guitar you could file the saddle grooves deeper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    I'd plug the anchor homes and fit a Schaller 3D bridge.