Recommend a Guitar for my Newbie Friend Beginner

What's Hot

Comments

• Tanglewood or Yamaha do decent acoustics for less than £300.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3070
    As a novice I bought my Fender Hellcat Electro-Acoustic for around £350. GAK have it for sale for £329. She can buy a nice amp to go with it next year

I find it's really easy to play, love the sound it makes and stays in tune really well. It also looks good which is so important for a beginner.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-tim-armstrong-hellcat/24485?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrMXs9Zjv6AIVxLTtCh1vtwsFEAQYASABEgLPLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought it after reading the review here

https://www.guitarfella.com/fender-tim-armstrong-hellcat-review/

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5867
    Thanks guys. Plenty here to be chewing over. I think it's a good idea to get an Electro Acoustic as it sort of Future Proofs in a way.

I suppose it's good to remember that something we think plays easy might not feel that way to someone who is trying to put an F Chord down for the first time. That's why the Acoustics with Necks more like an Electric have sparked interest like the Ibanez AEWC400 and the Yamaha APX600.

Also the Fender California series, Newporter, Redondo etc. I'm worried they might sound a bit thin though.

I have to admit that I would not be able to set up the Guitar either as action changes would require work on the Nut, I can adjust a truss rod but that only alters relief, which might not address the whole action issue.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    edited April 2020

I think it's a good idea to get an Electro Acoustic as it sort of Future Proofs in a way.
    No! That’s exactly the opposite of what it does. It saddles you with a current-technology pickup system which will be obsolete in ten years - even if it doesn’t break first - and at that overall price it will be both of average quality and detract from the quality of the guitar because about a third of the price is in the electrics.

Unless the primary purpose is stage performance right now, *always* buy a plain acoustic. You can always fit a pickup later.

I have more problems as a repairer with cheap electro-acoustics than any other type of guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I think it's a good idea to get an Electro Acoustic as it sort of Future Proofs in a way.
    No! That’s exactly the opposite of what it does. It saddles you with a current-technology pickup system which will be obsolete in ten years - even if it doesn’t break first - and at that overall price it will be both of average quality and detract from the quality of the guitar because about a third of the price is in the electrics.

Unless the primary purpose is stage performance right now, *always* buy a plain acoustic. You can always fit a pickup later.

I have more problems as a repairer with cheap electro-acoustics than any other type of guitar.
    Hmmn, I think that's a good idea on second thoughts.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    ICBM said:

^^^^ - agree 100%

And a major issue with Taylor guitars at the moment as save for just a couple oddballs they all come with a pickup now. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Agree - And for home it is totally pointless - If you did plug it into an amp at home at a sensible volume, the guitar is still louder than the amp, so what is the point - I'd rather spend £300 on a good acoustic than £300 on an electro-acoustic plus what ever you'd have to spend on an amp 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    Got a bit of a task on here, I think she was shocked that she might even have to shell out £300. Only just told her what to expect for a budget. I at least assumed she'd be thinking the same figures.

We might be looking at under £200. I don't think she even wants to go much over £100. I'm gonna talk to her later as something this cheap won't be worth having, unless it's a used V300 or something similar.

I'll have to put some right leg work into finding something used and decent for near £100. I've no real experience of using Ebay and buying online involves a lot of trust and things can go wrong.
    edited April 2020
    Nothing wrong with a simple Yamaha F310. Used you can grab one well under £100. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Not saying there is, but I'd rather not have to trawl around the net looking for something within that tight a budget and then wonder if it will be a successful transaction and all the other joy with buying from complete strangers on Ebay.
    Whitecat said:
    Not saying there is, but I'd rather not have to trawl around the net looking for something within that tight a budget and then wonder if it will be a successful transaction and all the other joy with buying from complete strangers on Ebay.
    Fair enough - new they are only slightly above £100 anyway though. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4213
    edited April 2020

Voted the best guitar under £1000 at one time by guitar magazine 
    £159 from GAK or other good music retailers . 

Imagine it would be up against Taylor’s martins yamahas etc 
      Concert size parlouresque body , solid top  mahogany back .

seems like a no brainier at the price .
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    If you head the electro acoustic direction I have a super clean Yamaha APX500ii, think oriental blueburst is the colour but it looks more green. Built in tuner which is always good for beginners to check their ears ...….with original Yami hard case for protection....altho could do with a set up I'm sure as sat in case unloved for a couple of years £190 shipped    Sounds great thro an amp but not necessary for home really. These are not the biggest body acoustics but if your lady friend is very petite for example she may prefer the shallower bodied ones like the Ibanez Talman & others for example. I think your body size can make a big difference on how comfortable you feel with  acoustic style guitars...if she has no experience it's tough buying blind as not all will 'fit' her I'm sure. Really a visit to a shop to try a few is the answer but that not gonna happen for a while

APX is like this one  

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=lxydpXWn&id=CFC77EA8E538DE39923A5A181D469BEB233859A5&thid=OIP.lxydpXWnpnPyv0kHL1JdzQHaDL&mediaurl=https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--6IdZjG3W--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1488810996/uelybp18od4e9asxuzjc.jpg&exph=266&expw=620&q=yamaha+apx500ii+electro+acoustic+guitar&simid=608050047419483747&selectedIndex=8&ajaxhist=0                    

Voted the best guitar under £1000 at one time by guitar magazine 
    £159 from GAK or other good music retailers . 

Imagine it would be up against Taylor’s martins yamahas etc 
      Concert size parlouresque body , solid top  mahogany back .

seems like a no brainier at the price .
    I know, mate. I think that'll be the one if I get her to stretch to that. I've told her she will also wants some bits like a Clip on Tuner, A Capo, A Gig Bag maybe, these things will tot up a few quid 'n all.

I've been over to Ebay @Whitecat , there are some aptly priced Guitars for her budget, it's just down to the luck of the draw.
    It looks like PMT are doing 0% Finance for 9 months, even on cheap stuff. I could still select it as an option for Guitars at £100. She's willing to go that route to get a Guitar between £150 and £200. She's safe in work at least (Probation Worker).

I think even adding the accessories to her basket, she can cop the lot with 0% Finance. Happy Days.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I’ve got the mahogany-top version of the Vintage V300 and it really is an exceptional guitar for the money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I’ve got the mahogany-top version of the Vintage V300 and it really is an exceptional guitar for the money.
    If I find one on 0% Finance it will be on the shortlist for her. Sadly, PMT don't stock Vintage Acoustics, but they do stock the Washburn Harvest series that @munckee suggested.

I'll look round who else is offering 0% on goods that cheap, but that might be a very short list.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Yamaha or Cort and I would go electro acoustic personally. Either Yamaha APX (great guitar sounds ace through a pa or acoustic amp) or a Cort SFX (their answer to the APX and its pretty good) - there are some silly deals to be had on the cort stuff from a quick google search ;)

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    What about the vintage v300 that was voted best guitar under £1000 a few years back . It went head to head with guitars up to a grand so can’t be too bad.  The guitar magazine voted it 
    Bought one for my son for his 21st some years ago. Very nice build and size for a beginner, the tone is really nice and the sound projection is truly excellent. If memory serves me right it's a solid top which was pretty rare at that price point at the time.

Back to square 1, PMT minimum spend for 0% Finance is £299, even though the drop down box allows you to select and taylor your deposit etc on Guitars under that amount. Phoned them and they said it was something they couldn't do anything about, all code and embedding etc, all Greek to me. They did say they were selling a lot of Guitars though, lockdown must be inspiring a few hobbies.

Looks like Ebay then.