Recommend a Guitar for my Newbie Friend Beginner

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5880
As per the Title:

Adult Female player, totally new to Guitar, but obviously has keen interest in Music.

She definitely wants to go down the Acoustic route, Steel Strings, not Classical. I've given her the lowdown on Justin Guitar and all that for lessons and beginner learning. Obviously I'd help her too.

The thing is "Price", now, even Justin recommends not buying too cheaply, especially an Acoustic. As I have no idea on Bang for Buck on Acoustics, I'd need advise from those more aware of such things.

I haven't broke it to her yet, but for a reasonable quality new Acoustic, I would guess that anything under £300 would be something that might prove to be lower quality and more difficult to play. I may be wrong though.

A £300 new Acoustic + Set Up be any better. Always the possibility of a good used one too I guess.

I'm sure this type of thread has been done to death, but any help is welcome.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5480
    Yamaha. Quite a few options around the £300 mark - body style will be one of the main determinants. Obviously hard to try at the moment but you can browse models online and try to find demo videos where possible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5880
    Thanks @Whitecat I'm looking at some of the Ibanez and Sigma ones around £400 too. I'm trying to think for my friend as quite naturally, she has no idea about Guitars and is looking to me for advice. I'm thinking Mid Size as opposed to a Dreadnought as that may feel a bit overwhelming in size.

It's good that some of the options I mentioned have amp capability too and some lovely carves and fret access.

I'm just wondering about whether the Price vs Quality/Playability thing is a myth too? If it was Electric she was after, I would know exactly what to look for, but I'm a bit sketchy with Acoustics and the nuances between models, sizes etc.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4268
    What about the vintage v300 that was voted best guitar under £1000 a few years back . It went head to head with guitars up to a grand so can’t be too bad.  The guitar magazine voted it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    I bought an esp acoustic not so long ago for way less that that and it’s a cracking guitar 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12500
    edited April 2020
    I took my daughter to pmt in Portsmouth last year with a budget of £300 for an acoustic. Best by far was a Washburn harvest series for £170 sounded loads fuller than the others solid top and looks okay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    Vintage v300, I got mine used for £80 and its tone is well balanced, fairly loud and really easy to play, great value. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Would it not be wiser to purchase a tidy pre-owned guitar?

Your friend would get more guitar for her money and it would have the benefit of having been played in and loosening up.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Would it not be wiser to purchase a tidy pre-owned guitar?

Your friend would get more guitar for her money and it would have the benefit of having been played in and loosening up.

Can you go with her to help her get something nice (either new or second hand)? Even without playing she could try different models on for size/finish etc. You could help regarding setup, action etc. 

I got my Faith Mercury for under £300 & it's a superb guitar.
    It's smaller  than a Dreadnaught too, which I find more comfortable- comfort is quite important when you're learning as it makes the experience more enjoyable. 

If it has to be new- Tanglewood, Sigma and Vintage are all brands I'd trust for under £300. 
    The Vintage Paul Brett range is VERY nice. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8075
    Yamaha FG range (FG300-400 range). Set up an eBay search for a used Yamaha FG auction in your local area (say 20 mile range), and wait. 

An example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264701926648

I’ve picked up a few used guitars in mint condition for less than £50.  They just need a clean, fresh strings, and a setup. 

I’ve given four away to friends   If you’re patient and wait (years), you’ll pick up something special. I did this for another friend and landed him a late 60’s MIJ FG110 for under £100.  Was listed badly, stunning guitar, sounded epic. 
    FF335 and FG180 are very special, you might find one if you’re very very lucky... already becoming a classic 

The bog standard FG300/FG301 is bulletproof proof, a great player, sounds great too. Lots of guitar teacher keep them in the boots of their cars for lessons - they can take a hell of a beating. 

If you’re friend pays £300 plus for a new guitar, and then doesn’t play it, someone like me will be waiting in the wings to buy it on eBay for £50. 

When they improve, then they can spend more on a nice Faith, or Yamaha LL range. 

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3357
    I haven’t tried any new acoustics in 15 years but I bought my Simon & Patrick cedar for £220 and it’s been more than enough for me. 
    The quality and sound was the best in the shop and i demoed everything up to £600 at the time. 
    Can’t speak for their recent offerings but I’d imagine their consistent as it’s basically Godin guitars brand. 
  • dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    I'm going to be selling my Taylor Academy if your interested. 
    Less than 9 months old and hardly played as I prefer playing electric.
    Slightly smaller body and contoured for comfort with a slighter shorter scale length for ease of play.
    Feel free to PM me for details. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14660
    tFB Trader
    Vintage or Tanglewood are strong options to consider

But if you can find a nice clean used guitar for £300 then you'll have a better guitar - £300 used equates to around £450/500 new

Either way and you should get a decent model for £300 ish - Notice you are in Sheffield so suggest you check out Rich Tone
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The cheapest new guitar I would recommend are the big brand base models like Yamaha f310, or equivalent epiphone, cort or takamine. They would be around £100 but are absolutely fine for a beginner. Best to try before buying to make sure the size fits her. Throw on some extra light gauge strings and set it up for low action to get her started. 
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    How do Thomann do it for these prices?  http://www.thomann.de/gb/0-00-000_bodysize.html
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Breedlove start around that price - certainly 2nd hand

And without the Ming The Merciless bridge (c) Bertie
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ve got a Faith for sale. It’s an £800 solid wood guitar for £350. Mor an example of the benefit of second hand than an advert. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5009
    Sigma.  Amazing guitars for reasonable money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Eastman do some fabulous guitars at around £300, look at the PCH series. 

Faith are nice to. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11407
    I'm no sort of acoustic player but I came very close to buying a Vintage V300 a while back. It was easy to play. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    If in doubt, buy a Yamaha