What are the inessential live albums?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Hawkwind - Bring me the Head of Yuri Gagarin. Apparently so poor quality Dave Brock didn’t see fit to sanction it. Yet yours truly bought the vinyl version when it was first released.

King Crimson - Earthbound. Another very poor live recording that yours truly wasted some money on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I bought Van Halen Live without a net and hated it. My recollection was that it sounded muffled and just generally poor.

A pet hate of mine is live albums were they keep fading songs/the crowd in and out. To my mind live albums need to feel like you are there. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous is crap - it's not live, so defeats the point. I don't like "live" recordings that have been so heavily overdubbed that they lose all their live edge. Sort of defeats the point for me. If I want it to sound like the studio versions, then that's what I will listen to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72769
    Snap said:
    Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous is crap - it's not live, so defeats the point. I don't like "live" recordings that have been so heavily overdubbed that they lose all their live edge. Sort of defeats the point for me. If I want it to sound like the studio versions, then that's what I will listen to.
    The interesting thing is that Eagles Live is also notoriously heavily overdubbed, but still sounds live - the songs are all slightly different from the studio recordings - but when I went to see them *actually* live back in the 90s, they played all the songs pretty much verbatim like the records! It was both impressive and slightly disappointing at the same time - remarkable that they could do it so accurately, but lacking a bit of live excitement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    Snap said:
    Heavily overdubbed or not - depending on who you believe, Visconti or the surviving band members - it doesn't sound like the studio versions, it sounds a million times better.  It's still the definitive Thin Lizzy album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3102
    Snap said:
    I got into a proper argument with an ex bassist for suggesting the fast ascending ending lick on the Rosalie harmony solo might have been fixed. It's really clean if it was done completely live.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27374
    edited July 2020
    Snap said:
    I got into a proper argument with an ex bassist for suggesting the fast ascending ending lick on the Rosalie harmony solo might have been fixed. It's really clean if it was done completely live.
    You’d assume stuff like that and tidying up the timing on the harmonised guitars on Alibi would be exactly what you’d do if tweaking it in the studio, but who knows. 

I don’t care if it was nipped and tucked - it’s a fantastic record.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    @Rabs wrong thread, you need the essential live albums thread!
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    @Rabs wrong thread, you need the essential live albums thread!
    Ha... whoops...  Brian no work good today
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    edited July 2020
    Page 2.