Installing Schaller Strap Locks

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    I think they tend to cause more grief than help. I've seen loads of strats with the pin pulling out probably because of how far out they stick like ICBM said.

Vigier have got it right with metal inserts glued in the body for the screw to sit inside. Next to that I think recessed Dunlops are best.

Don't buy a cheap strap. Get some good stiff leather and Grolsh tops - pm me your address and I'll send a few over, think they're a bit thinner than Grolsh. Unless you're like Eddie Vedder on stage I wouldn't stress.

Besides, them dentists aren't keen on anything being changed if you sell it on.

And when did duct tape go out of fasion?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2970
    tFB Trader

I suppose it's possible to not install them properly, or original screws may not be as good as the high-carbon hardened steel Schaller ones. But I've been using them for well past 25 yrs with no probs at all. The straps sometimes need opening out, I punch a hole - sharpened bit of tube, hammer, scrap wood underneath strap. If in doubt use threadlock, though none of mine have needed it or ever come loose etc.

I don't use washers, just get the button close to the body, no need to make it super tight. If anything, maybe thin plastic/nylon washers so little or no compressing going on there.

I'd also take the originals over copies, not worth risking it for a beer voucher savings.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS buttons are the best about 

straplocks are unnecessary in my opinion just get a good strap
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I partially agree with @stevenguitars - but it all depends on what you do. 

Even a good strap sometimes ain't enough. 

Some straps do come with a kinda locking system already built in to them. I think the one I had was Planet Waves. But it broke. However, it lasted years (a good 11 or 12 at that) of solid, frequent usage, and ab-usage! 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72844
    Just to prove that anything can break, and sometimes in unexpected ways, one of my jobs today is a bass which had a "broken" strap button. I assumed that the owner meant that it had come out of the body, but no… it is literally broken, in half at the narrowest point - leaving just the bottom part of it screwed firmly to the body! And obviously this would have let the bass fall if it had a Grolsch washer (or even a big rigid one) held on by the outer rim which is now missing.

I've never seen that happen before in thirty years of repair work, but I suppose there is a first time for everything!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    I've used Schaller ones for 10+ years and not had any problems at all (so obviously that is conclusive proof they're fine).
    The main reason I use them is quick guitar swaps and that most of my guitars don't fit in their cases with strap on.
    Anyway if in doubt, just ask "What would Eddie Do?"
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12696
    I advocate strap locks on Gibsons - especially Les Pauls because of the impossible angle that the strap leaves the guitar at. A Grolsch washer can help, but Gibsons have those utterly ridiculous small buttons. Even a rubber washer doesn't help here.

I accept what @ICBM says about physical damage of the retaining pins etc (especially on the Schaller ones, I don't like those so much) but the reason Dunlops especially are supplied with very long screws is to ensure that the extra leverage on the button does not result in the button pulling out the guitar. In my 30 years repair experience, most strap lock failures are due to the screws pulling out - usually because folks "adapt" the wrong screws or don't do them up tight enough, meaning they start to pull out and ruin the thread cut into the wood. If the locks are installed correctly, then they don't pull out - unless the guitar they are being attached to is made out of shit wood (happens).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340

I am unconvinced that Strap Locks are needed on a PRS. With a properly fitting strap, the standard buttons are very secure.

This ^ ^ ^
    Well, a couple of months ago I managed to somehow pull the strap off the button of my PRS and drop it, so they're not foolproof either! With a good tight-fitting leather strap too. The strap had probably got folded back on itself when I took the guitar off the stand and I didn't check it.

Carelessness causes accidents...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5081
    Kebabkid said:

I am unconvinced that Strap Locks are needed on a PRS. With a properly fitting strap, the standard buttons are very secure.

This ^ ^ ^
    ^ ^ ^ This in spades. If you can make a PRS fall off it's strap then there's something wrong with you or your strap, not the PRS strap buttons.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2173
    edited July 2019
    I thought I'd necrobump this thread. I'm looking to install a set of schaller strap locks onto my prs dgt. I didn't realise that schaller had changed the strap locks. The new ones have an integrated screw set up, and the new screws are thicker than the existing ones.

I've installed a set of old schaller strap lock buttons nabbed from another guitar, and used the existing screws. Which is what I've done for all my other guitars, and never had an issue. A quick look online and I've read people have packed with match sticks and used longer screws etc. Am I doomed for failure or should I just reinstall the PRS buttons?

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4054
    Yes, I'm holding fire on the new Schallers.  Gonna see how they go. 
    I've got old Schallers on all my guitars and have had, like, forever, and never had a problem.  Done the matchstick thing too.  Actually think it was a drumstick and woodglue last time and there's obviously been no problem cos I can't even remember what guitar it was for.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    DrJazzTap said:
    I thought I'd necrobump this thread. I'm looking to install a set of schaller strap locks onto my prs dgt. I didn't realise that schaller had changed the strap locks. The new ones have an integrated screw set up, and the new screws are thicker than the existing ones.

I've installed a set of old schaller strap lock buttons nabbed from another guitar, and used the existing screws. Which is what I've done for all my other guitars, and never had an issue. A quick look online and I've read people have packed with match sticks and used longer screws etc. Am I doomed for failure or should I just reinstall the PRS buttons?

Ive got old style Schallers on most guitars I’ve had for around 10 years now. Have used the guitars original screws where possible, exceptions being my new Jem (screws too thick to pass through Schaller buttons) and the bottom screw on some Gibsons.

For the bottom screw on my R8 I’ve used a long Schaller screw which has held well for a few years without packing but I might swap it for a thicker mojoaxe screw (http://www.mojoaxe.com/) or go for a new s-lock button.

I’ve finally caved with my new Jem and inserted the new gold schaller S-locks. Just screwed into the original holes with an Allen key. No new drilling. Very solid.

Beware with the s-locks, as they are “fixed angle”, they require the strap button to be drilled perpendicular, which isn’t always a given. The old 2 piece design had a bit of play between button and screw which could mask a slightly oblique drill hole.
    DrJazzTap said:
    If the new screws are thicker than the old ones it's fine - it's the other way round that can be a problem. Upgrading strap button screw thickness/length is an extremely common repair on guitars.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    edited July 2019
    I never had any issues with schaller locks on my LPs. Stopped using them when I got my SG and started using grolsch washers. I wouldn't use those on an LP though, they pull off the top one easily due to the angle, it'd be schaller all the way for me there.