Pickguard, making holes bigger

I need one of the holes in a pickguard bigger to accommodate a 3 way toggle switch. Would using a drill bit be a bit brutal? or is there a tool you'd recommend for the job?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Hand taper reamer.

You could probably use a hand countersink too, mostly they're 1/2" diameter which is the size you need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    +1 for reamer.

The more brittle plastics can chip or shatter when drilled.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052
    Thanks, I bought a reamer yesterday and it did the trick. Quite a handy little tool
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Stevepage said:
    Thanks, I bought a reamer yesterday and it did the trick. Quite a handy little tool
    I always mention this unexpected bonus use, but it's not entirely obvious so I think it's worth it... if you need to tighten a jack socket nut where you can't easily get at the other side to hold it and stop it turning - eg on a 335-type guitar - just lightly jam the reamer into the barrel and it will grip enough to tighten the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein