Best Guitar Plug-in / VST?

What's Hot
I’ve currently got a Kemper which I love - but it’s connected to my PC in the lounge, which is connected to the TV.... which can make practising difficult when the Mrs wants to watch TV!

I was thinking of getting either a second Kemper - which is too expensive - or getting a decent guitar plugin / VST for a laptop that I can take to the office and practice with. However, a key thing for me is that the plugin must have a great ‘fee’ with the guilt, and be responsive. That’s a key thing I love with the Kemper, and I never found it with things like the Helix (I was looking at Helix Native, but this kind of puts me off buying it. Plus, I never managed to get decent sounds from it...).

I know Neural do some well regarded plugins, but they seem kind of one trick ponies. I’d be playing stuff from blues to classic rock to some 80’s metal.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations please...?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Amplitube is pretty good for the money.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Native instruments have a deal atm, interface with free guitar rig 5 pro
  • I’d demo the Neural stuff anyway, since it sounds like you haven’t yet. The Plini and Nolly plugs might do what you want.

Most guitar amp plugs have demos so I’d just try as many as you can and see which you like best
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    My 2penneth, for what it’s worth; 
    Kuassa are my current favourite. Responds well to guitar volume backing off like hardware. https://www.kuassa.com/
    Guitar rig always sound too immediately processed. Useful in a mix, but not for just playing. 
    Waves are also quite natural in response (esp PRS amps) but I found it hard work to get the sound I likes out of them. 
    Off to check the other suggestions now... 

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4101
    I love positive grid bias fx2.

For late night noodling you can't go wrong with an amplug lead from vox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    edited April 2020
    Thanks all - I've grabbed demos of Bias FX2 and Bias Amp 2, the Neural Nolly, Plini and Fortin amps, the Schuffham Amps pack, the full TH-U package and a few others. Gonna be a busy week....! 

Also ordered the Komplete Audio 6 mk2 interface, as you get the full version of Guitar Rig 5 Pro with it - and I needed a second interface anyway :)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    edited April 2020
    How many connections have you got between your Kemper and your living room PC?  If you really want to throw some money at this then why not a creative patching solution so that you can quickly unhook the Kemper and move it to another room?  It can only be what?  Left and Right out, DI out, aux in, CAT and USB?  Look at the cost of a second simulator then divide by the number of times you are likely to move it in say 2 years and divide that by the number of connections - it's a lot of money to save very little effort (says the man who found an excuse to justify buying a Helix so that he didn't have to keep unhooking the Kemper from the studio rig )
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Overloud TH3 is quite good. I like the guitar stuff in Waves Gold, sounds good and intuitive to use. Guitar Rig pro is good too, though due an overhaul.
    Amplitube too - and you can get a chunk of that for nothing 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    Of the 1 trick pony sims helix native is by far the best. I really don't like bias at all, applitube 4 is alright but a bit dated now.

these days though i generally use a handfull of 1 trick poiny sims though as they are typically much better quality. My gotos are the STL 5150 and the brainworx VH4.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have bias fx 2 and amp 2 and I dislike them equally. I regret buying them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rico said:
    I have bias fx 2 and amp 2 and I dislike them equally. I regret buying them.
    Weird - I was going to come here and say of all the ones I've got demos for, I think I prefer those two the most!

The Neural ones sound pretty good, but slightly more of a one-trick pony.

TH-U just seems full of random amps and makes that are not as well known.

Scuffham sounds good, but seems to lack any options for pre or post pedals / FX...?

Question - is everyone just plugging the guitar direct into their interface? I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, going direct into it, and have set it to instrument level and the gain so it's occasionally showing orange.

Had heard some people suggest about using a preamp to ensure you're getting the correct impendance into the interface...?

Maybe a stupid - and somewhat related - question; would this tube pre-amp work to connect to the PC as an interface to send the non-eq'd dry signal (via the tubes) to the DAW?

https://www.laney.co.uk/produc…rt-irt-pulse-effect-pedal

From what I've read, it sends the dry signal on the L channel of the USB - just want to make sure that's still going via the tubes! Would be interested in using it in front of the Kemper as well....

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    It would work, but you've got a couple of interfaces already. Is Guitar Rig not working for you either?
    FarleyUK said:
    Question - is everyone just plugging the guitar direct into their interface? I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, going direct into it, and have set it to instrument level and the gain so it's occasionally showing orange.

Had heard some people suggest about using a preamp to ensure you're getting the correct impendance into the interface...?
    The instrument level switch does exactly that.

If you add an external pre amp i'm not sure if it will be mic level or instrument level. It's also a moot point as the 'tone' generated from the pre-amp will still be processed through the modelling software.
    rico said:
    FarleyUK said:

If you add an external pre amp i'm not sure if it will be mic level or instrument level. It's also a moot point as the 'tone' generated from the pre-amp will still be processed through the modelling software.
    Great, thanks!

another dumb question... in theory, should a tube based pre-amp improve the ‘feel’ when going direct into it, and then a VST?
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4101
    Yes,  guitar to interface to biasfx2 to reaper.   I tried several before selling on positive grid as thr best.  Best for me and my ears. 
    FarleyUK said:
    rico said:
    FarleyUK said:

Great, thanks!

another dumb question... in theory, should a tube based pre-amp improve the ‘feel’ when going direct into it, and then a VST?
    I've got no idea to be honest. I'm skeptical of any modelling software that pertains to offer 'amp like' response. There's no substitute for actual valve amps. 

Don't get me wrong the Bias stuff fills a hole (i.e silent practicing and capturing ideas when they strike) but to use it as a substitute if you have proper gear seems daft. 

I'm considering a reactive loadbox (Captor X) type thing but it's the kind of gear i'd definitely like to try before I commit.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    Bias at least to me feels pretty terrible that more than its sound is what kills it for me. Some of the modern Sims are getting really good though and box native is pretty much indistinguishable from aging through a real helix.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ