Best Guitar Plug-in / VST?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    And helix itself into an FX return is so close to a real amp that it's not worth mentioning. I think a lot of people it's actually the cab they are missing not the tubes.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I think the best one I’ve tried is the scuffham amps one. Feels brilliant and sounds great.... but only four’generic’ amps, and delay and reverb. 

Wondering about Helix Native, as I can get out for a discount - but it still doesn’t have the ’feel’ I’m after, and the amps sound a bit poor IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    FarleyUK said:
    I think the best one I’ve tried is the scuffham amps one. Feels brilliant and sounds great.... but only four’generic’ amps, and delay and reverb. 

Wondering about Helix Native, as I can get out for a discount - but it still doesn’t have the ’feel’ I’m after, and the amps sound a bit poor IMO. 
    Never tried scuffham although a lot of people have said good things. 

What sounds are you looking for? In terms of amp sims I'm more into high gain, some tones definitely always sound smaller through monitors rather than a guitar cab, If your looking for a really dynamic crunch I'm fairly sure its the playback system that is causing the difference. 

The helix amps are pretty decent imo, maybe not the absolute best but easily the best of the swiss army knife type programs.

Tbh I cant see anything revolutionary happening now unless we get a kemper compatible player in VST. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    FarleyUK said:

Never tried scuffham although a lot of people have said good things. 

What sounds are you looking for? In terms of amp sims I'm more into high gain, some tones definitely always sound smaller through monitors rather than a guitar cab, If your looking for a really dynamic crunch I'm fairly sure its the playback system that is causing the difference. 

The helix amps are pretty decent imo, maybe not the absolute best but easily the best of the swiss army knife type programs.

Tbh I cant see anything revolutionary happening now unless we get a kemper compatible player in VST. 

Another thing that annoys me with the Native plugin - you cannot scale the UI for plugins! Wish they did a standalone app.

Mainly after Marshall amp sounds - plexi, hot rodded plexi, JCM800, modded JCMs, JMP, Silver Jubilee etc.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2020
    FarleyUK said:

In S-gear there's also the "Mod Thing" if you right click and select add device. This has flange and chorus options.

Have you tried the Litigator in Helix Native? The Robben'ish preset is often a starting point for me, which I then tweak to suit.

It's not a competition.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I use Slate subscription, which USED to include S-Gear, it did everything , but then Slate dropped it and replaced with Overloud THU, which to my ears (tired and old ) sounds pretty amazing.
    I generally use a Plexi sound, and Slate includes their own versions, with IR's, I can track with that well, but always record as DI.
    I found a little trick that works well, you can mess with the input level (clip gain)-AFTER you have recorded--which alters the dynamics of the amp, like doing volume swells with guitar volume-post recording.
    I'm thinking of patenting that idea, but you are all allowed to try it.
    Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing, and it is just better to try and capture a performance.
    Obviously-the performance depends on what you are hearing at the time, so whatever you can get to work quickly is good.