VSTs in Reaper not working after Mac update

What's Hot
ijontyijonty Frets: 32
edited April 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

Recently updated my Mac, and now when I open old projects, it tells me the VSTs can't open because "the developer can't be verified". Any idea how to solve this? It's for plugins including:

Track 1: VST: Pulse (Lancaster Audio)

Track 1: VST: Le456 (LePou_plugins)

Track 1: VST3: OrilRiver (Denis Tihanov)

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    What version did you upgrade from and to?
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Up to Catilana, but probably only from the one before that.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    10.15.4, probably from 10.15.3 I'm guessing

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    edited April 2020
    Catilana is pure 64 bit ap support only, I'm not familiar with those plugs but maybe they aren't compatible in a pure 64 bit enviroment . 
    To be honest it's never a good idea to upgrade your version of anything to anything until your sure everything will be ok. I've had several calls about Calilana and apps no longer working ... in some cases the only solution was to roll back using time machine
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Ah damn it. Didn't give it a moment's thought that it would be a problem as I waited ages before upgrading.

edited April 2020
    Though wouldn't it fail completely if that was the case? It seems to be more about permissions.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited April 2020
    You went from Mojave to Catalina?
    If so then yes this will probably be the plugins are 32 bit and they are no longer supported.
    Sorry.

Hopefully you have an imagine you can go back to if you need those plugins, otherwise you will have to manually roll back.

If you were upgrading from a version of Catalina to another version of Catalina then this won't be the issue.
    It could be permissions, but that would also be quite weird.
    I don't think I was going from Mojave to Catalina, but I'll try to find out

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    ijonty said:
    Though wouldn't it fail completely if that was the case? It seems to be more about permissions.
    Well the way plugins work in terms of DLL access is something Catalina is tightened against in the name of security but also there's translation between older plugs jigged to run on 64 bit and an OS that requires pure 64 bit code only. You might be lucky and it could be something else but I'm guessing those plugs aren't fully compatible with the new OSX
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Ah, ok. My mistake for not thinking about it. Don't think I can roll back, so any recommendations for free alternatives to the Pulse IR loader and the LePou sims if they're not 64 bit?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    This is why I hate OS upgrades! (or upgrades in general). I've been using macs for over 30 years at work, and I only tend to upgrade systems when I have to. I'm not recommending it as a philosophy, but it is the way I prefer to operate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ignite Emissary and NadIR are great free alternatives if you can’t get them working. As for the reverb, the TAL reverbs are great :)
    Audio Engineer || Composer || Prog Nerd

empyreanaudio.co.uk || liberascientia.bandcamp.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18781
    ijonty said:
    Ah, ok. My mistake for not thinking about it. Don't think I can roll back, so any recommendations for free alternatives to the Pulse IR loader and the LePou sims if they're not 64 bit?
    You can roll back to an earlier OS, it just isn't always as easy as it should have been. 
    https://support.apple.com/lv-lv/guide/mac-help/mh15216/mac
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/
    Hope that you manage to do it.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    You did get the Catalina version of Reaper???
    In short--if it works -don't break it (upgrade)
    sorry.
    andy_k said:
    You did get the Catalina version of Reaper???
    In short--if it works -don't break it (upgrade)
    sorry.
    So basically, since lockdown, I've had to use my home mac for work, and it became really sluggish. Work became the priority (depressingly), so I upgraded, without giving a moment's thought to Reaper. I don't have the Catalina Reaper installed, so should I do that? Their site talks about it being 'notarised' and therefore I have to be careful, but I've no idea what that means.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Me neither, but Catalina was a big update-big enough for Reaper to make a dedicated version, a few versions ago, so really you have nothing to lose by upgrading Reaper , easier than rolling back your OS-if that is even possible now?
    The biggest headache will be if you have projects with 32 bit plugins I think, I have 32 bit versions of Reaper 6 running on older PC's, and haven't run into problems YET, but it is early days for me and I have systems set up to basically just play back, without plugins at all.
    Maybe check the Reaper forum to see if anybody has more specific advice re- Catalina, but as you have already done the upgrade, you will have to get around it somehow.
    I try and leave projects in a state that does not rely on plugins, ie, I render audio files with FX printed, everything is retrievable with audio files.
    Not sure if this is actually a good idea, but by allowing Catalina to open apps from any developer, all the plugins now load: https://talk.automators.fm/t/catalina-refusing-app-installation-and-how-to-trick-it/5237