Trying out Fret Erasers

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
I saw a video on Youtube the other week about them and about a set off eBay, then also some off Crimson Gutiars too from Medium to Super Fine.

Testing it out on some dirty looking frets, a bit hard to see but they are not shiny.  

Some oxidation or dirty, just not nice.

After about 2 hours later.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3714
    Great timing.  I put some in my Thomann basket just last night (although no Elixir's), good to know that they work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    Musicwolf said:
    Great timing.  I put some in my Thomann basket just last night (although no Elixir's), good to know that they work.
    I ended up putting on some Ernie Balls instead, you can see it in one of the photos.
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I've got the Crimson ones but to be honest I find using micro-mesh pads easier.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1505
    I use Music Nomad Frine.  It is really good and comes with fingerboard protectors, so a full neck only takes 20 minutes or so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I usually use the d'addario fret polishing cloths. Hardly bother masking off either, just wrap it around my finger tip.. though I keep meaning to get some metal fret templates just to be safer. Pretty quick and not messy, seems to work ok. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3714
    Musicwolf said:
    Doh.  I was looking at the string packet and thinking that was the make of the polishing rubbers.  Silly me.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    @RaymondLin ;

Nice job on that, 

Do you play it though, unless its me you have zero fret wear.?
    Sync said:
    @RaymondLin ;

Nice job on that, 

Do you play it though, unless its me you have zero fret wear.?
    I don't actually play this much, even lent it to a friend for about 12 months when he sent his guitar away to be repaired.  I did buy it used from the US a few years ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I use Miracle Cloth. It's a lot less faff. Only takes a couple of minutes.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 695
    I saw a couple of Crimson videos where he was cleaning frets and he just ran the finest rubber over them, no fretboard protection? 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    BGG said:
    I saw a couple of Crimson videos where he was cleaning frets and he just ran the finest rubber over them, no fretboard protection? 
    Were they maple boards/finished at all? 

I reckon (and I'm no luthier), that the fret polishing erasers and fret polishing cloths are pretty low in terms of abrasion, so wouldnt do much damage to the wood if it touched. Of course it would be across the grain so probably more noticeable... 

Whereas finished/lacquered boards, any contact there should be avoided if you like its 'as new and shiny/glossy' appearance.

I used to use 0000 steel wool, which was very quick and effective at polishing frets, but damn the mess was a nightmare lol.  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    OP that took you two hours?!

I am all for doing a job properly but it takes me about two minutes. No need to mask up either - just run the flat side over the frets - you can get two or three frets covered each pass. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Can't help thinking 180 grit is far too coarse as a starting point. Unless your frets are really buggered you're giving yourself a lot of unnecessary hard work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    rico said:

I am all for doing a job properly but it takes me about two minutes. No need to mask up either - just run the flat side over the frets - you can get two or three frets covered each pass. 
    Pardon me but it’s my first go and to “do it properly” I wanted to be safe and used masking tape which takes time to apply properly. Not only I cleaned the flat side on the top, I also took time to clean the sides and also edges because I wanted it done properly and not rush it.

sure the next time I can do it faster but 2 mins? I like to see that, from taking the strings off to mask to clean and strings back on.  Then adjusting the trem block (it was out), tune the guitar and clean everything down.  Doing it properly

Not everything is a race you know, and what's the rush? It's not like I got places to go? lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    I use fret erasers when I do a quick setup, they are useful and I don't need to mask off the fretboard. But you could, I suppose. Handy things to have about.
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    I've got the #400 and #1000 Hosco ones and they do a great job.  I believe they do a couple of coarser grades but I've never needed or indeed trusted myself to go for the more aggresive ratings. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    rico said:

Pardon me but it’s my first go and to “do it properly” I wanted to be safe and used masking tape which takes time to apply properly. Not only I cleaned the flat side on the top, I also took time to clean the sides and also edges because I wanted it done properly and not rush it.

sure the next time I can do it faster but 2 mins? I like to see that, from taking the strings off to mask to clean and strings back on.  Then adjusting the trem block (it was out), tune the guitar and clean everything down.  Doing it properly

Not everything is a race you know, and what's the rush? It's not like I got places to go? lol
    I only do it when I restring, a minute with fine and a minute with super fine and job's a good'un.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Not seen those before, but I use Gorgomyte as it cleans frets AND the fretboard

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited May 2020
    0000 wire wool for me - much quicker than erasers

I find the rubber detritus just as messy as wire wool - only difference being it’s not magnetic, so masking the pups would be ‘gold standard’
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12481
    The only problem with using wire wool is the shrapnel sticks to the pickups.