Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    edited May 2020
    ICBM said:
    sawyer said:
    Surely with this much money to dump on a vintage guitar, a potential buyer would know what he's looking at? I wouldn't know ,so therefore would not buy without someone knowledgeable. Oh yeah ,I've not got the money either:(
    Yes, I would hope that anyone able to spend five figures on a guitar wouldn't be stupid enough to be taken in by any of these... but you'd probably be surprised.
    You would think so, but when I went to trade a couple of vintage guitars for my 64 Strat, the guy picked the guitars up, asked me if there was anything he should know. I told him both were refinished, parts changed and originals in case, this guitars pickup isn't original. Yea yea all good mate, all good, he says before showing me his Epiphones. 

I went over the Strat with a fine tooth comb. He could have easily have been ripped off by someone with bad intentions.

I found out later he complained to someone we both know that he wouldn't have done the deal had he have known the pickup wasn't original. I told him that! I absolutely told him! I even messaged him via ebay with that info. 

I've done three vintage guitar deals, only one was normal. @bgmartinsbridge ;;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @telemaster - Normal, apart from waiting in a pub carpark for an hour at 9pm, as the M11 was pretty much closed ;-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72958
    gringopig said:
    Yes, let's get underpants guy booted off ebay too. Links!!!
    They’ll boot him soon enough anyway, as he’s got clearly stated counterfeit Gibson and Fender guitars listed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@telemaster - Normal, apart from waiting in a pub carpark for an hour at 9pm, as the M11 was pretty much closed ;-)

There's always a hiccup in every great story! 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8840
    Gumtree said:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited July 2020
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72958
    gringopig said:
    Yes, he removed the partcasters with Fender logos too. He has a Mustang that looks legit but after all the fakery I wouldn't trust it not to be a refin.
    It looks like it to me. I had one exactly like it - the finish was thicker and the colour more 'tomato soup' than 'pillar box red'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Imagine trying to get £2.5K for something you've photo'd with a Nokia 7650. Also as disturbing as the pants are, I worry that they're distracting us from his total decapitation 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2441
    edited May 2020
    There's so many fake vintage Fender guitars right now....so many for sale with repro bodies and necks. Plenty of non declared refins too....oh and masses of fake vintage parts too! There's a red one on reverb now thats for sale by a certain UK recording studio that is being laughed at across the net by collector friends, there's a gold sparkle one too with a repro body. A certain UK dealer closed down earlier this year rather hastily when it emerged that it had been selling refin 60's custom colour Strats as original for £50k+ figures....ouch. No...not naming them...but take a lucky guess. One guitar was actually featured in a well known Fender book but was not examined by the authors. So many horror stories out there. Tread carefully.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, the only plus side, if you can call it that, is that if you're selling one and you don't know that it's not real there's always someone who will buy it. A crazy market for sure. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4985
    bugileman said:
    It's getting quite out of hand now. So many fakes around. Feel sorry for the gullible sods who think they've got a bargain, when they're just Squiers with Fender decals. 
    Yep - buying a Fender is a bit of a gamble these days.

• That's why we should buy a custom shop relic ;-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    That's why we should buy a custom shop relic ;-) 
    Rarely seen a vintage Strat that looks like it's been dragged down the road and burnt in a fire lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2441
    That's why we should buy a custom shop relic ;-) 
    Plenty of fake Custom Shop guitars about too lol. 
    I actually love this thread. 
    edited July 2020
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Still no word from @FRETMELTKID ;

how about it fella? Is it you?
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited May 2020
    Well,this guys been caught well and truly, with his pants down!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    sawyer said:
    Well,this guys been caught well and truly with his pants down!
    Look like they’re up to me. Luckily.