A "fuller" Strat neck?

What's Hot
Hello,

Has anyone here used a larger / fatter rosewood strat neck? I'm looking at building a hardtail strat with a fuller neck profile and possibly wider than standard nut width. I normally play Tele 'U' necks or acoustics with 1 3/4 width nuts. I've got big hands, sometimes referred to as "shovel hands" and also like to finger pick. My 90's MIM strat gives me hand cramp it's so skinny, so that's going on permanent loan to a friend soon. So far I've only turned up:

1. Fender Classic 70's https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/parts/stratocaster-parts/classic-series-70s-stratocaster-u-neck-3-bolt-mount-21-vintage-style-frets/0997003921.html
  2. WD Music Fat Strat neck https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/necks-c60/strat-necks-c180/wd-music-fat-strat-neck-maple-with-rosewood-fingerboard-unfinished-p3154
  3. Custom build from guitar build https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/custom-guitar-necks/products/customisable-guitar-neck
At the moment I'm siding towards getting one made at Guitar Build UK. Are there any other UK based shops or builders I should be looking at? The actual project is a long way off, but nice to have something to look forward to at the moment. Also having a budget to save up for is always handy

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I used a WD Tele neck on my hardtail Strat build (body was routed for Tele neck), the neck is solid Rosewood and proper chunky, I’m well pleased with it, got it from The Stratosphere in the US so it wasn’t cheap, but I consider it worth it...

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    I’d ask @GSPBASSES  whether he’s got anything suitable in a dark corner of his workshop ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited May 2020
    Allparts SRO FAT would do the job.

I say that, my two favourite Fat Strat & Tele necks were made by @GSPBASSES so if he has anything to and I would go there 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    Be interested to see if anyone feeds back on "2. WD Music Fat Strat". Been looking at this one for a while...
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Warmoth Superwide. I've got two. One fat back which I've slimmed down a touch and one standard. Both have been sanded down to about 45.5mm at the nut. Love them. My hands are huge. Piano player hands aparently just can't play the piano. 
  • Awesome, thanks for the suggestions =) . Do all parts necks sell out really fast or have they stopped producing some models? Always seem to be out of stock when I look
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions =) . Do all parts necks sell out really fast or have they stopped producing some models? Always seem to be out of stock when I look
    Allparts are having a bit of trouble keeping popular necks in stock at the moment. I think they've been surprised with increased sales from folks with time on their hands and their ordering hasn't caught up yet. Whenever a shipment comes in the popular lines sell out straight away.They tend to place orders with the factory 60-90 days in advance so it takes a while for increased stock-holding to appear.

• Thanks once again