Inlay Qs: Suppliers / starting tips?

What's Hot
I’m keen to start trying out some inlay work while I’ve got all this extra time at home. I’ve got a rough idea of what I need, but wanted to see if there were any other sources to look at before I buy from some of the bigger vendors - keen to keep the money within the forum or small businesses if possible!

- Jewellers piercing saw
- Clamps
- Pearl blanks
- Reconstituted stones
- Silver wire (square)
- Hardwood offcuts / veneers (scrap for practice only)
- Diamond needle files
- Engraving tools
- Superglues/ashesives - various viscosity & colour
- Anything else..?

I’ve got a v.solid dremel router base already and some carbide downcut bits, plus some precut inlays in pearloid to practice with too. I’ve also made a little cutting block already too and have an appropriate place to work from with good lighting etc.

If any of this is remotely successful I’d like to work towards large pieces with a mix of pearls, stone and metal-work.

Suggestions on a postcard/reply please. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Have you been over to small wonder yet.

Also get Larry Robinson's book
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4135
    edited May 2020
    Already got it - had it for years, I’ve just not gotten around to trying anything other than dots yet!

Yep, they’ve got some lovely stuff and I presume they’re one of the best suppliers for the UK at least. I was hovering over a StewMac order as well, but given that they can’t ship pearl or solvents to the UK it would be of limited use!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    The Grit Laskin book is also good, but more a showcase of his work than a how to.

The stuff I have had from small wonder has always been great quality
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited May 2020
    I used Small Wonder for for inlay supplies and files, when I built my own guitars:  smallwonder-music.co.uk
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4135
    Update time - just had a sample pack arrive from in De Paul Supplies in Vietnam, very well priced for the amounts you get, and now I have enough variety to play around with some designs. I've also had some offcuts and pieces arrive from a few generous members of the forum so will be trying my hand at this shortly. :)

1. Red Sea Snail
    2. Paua Heart Abalone
    3. White MOP
    4. Gold MOP
    5. Bronze MOP
    6. Paua Abalone
    7. White Ivory Shell
    8. Sunburst Black MOP
    9. Red MOP
    10. Black MOP
    The photo doesn't do a great job of catching the colours and lustre in the shell, but they look very impressive in person and should really pop once sanded properly after installation.

First up on the workbench will be some simple block inlays, then onto some more intricate multi-piece designs.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27503
    Roland said:
    I was just about to post that!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Rothko&Frost also do some inlay materials, some different materials than Smallwonder too.

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/guitar-making-c83/guitar-inlays-c30/guitar-inlay-blanks-c103

Offcuts of Corian can be used also, along with thicker wood veneers, rather than just the traditional shell blanks.

Adam