New build ideas based around a single item of hardware

What's Hot
Right, so the 9/10ths FB is virtually done and settling in. The weird Zemaitis-y thing is in progress.

I have a lovely short Maestro trem from Guitar Slinger in Germany which is going unused, so time to think about what to use it for. Does anyone else get inspiration this way? At present, I'm thinking a smaller Korina Explorer to keep 'on theme' with the FB as I also have some 70's LP mini humbuckers... that will likely change overnight though :D 

Any suggestions? Cool vintage Epi's are also a possibility for inspiration.

Staty safe all,

Matt
www.theflyingacesband.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    I also have one of these old Framus pickups somewhere, they'd be a ball ache to mount though...

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    I sometimes build stuff around pickups.

Gibson Nighthawk p’up ... because I love how it sounds in my Gibson Nighthawk.

The one on the right built around a set of Gibson PAFs ..

... so a LP-esque seemed appropriate.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Ive done it a few times, seen a bit of hardware then planned a build around it, your Firebird did, so I’m building a Fenderbird bitsa with a custom made body
    Ive alsogot a Bigsby Bowtie bridge that Im planning a build around......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    I think that’s a great idea as a starting point for a build
    Hmm - just looking at vintage Epiphone Wilshires - the dogs hair finish in particular. Ticks the maestro and mini humbucker boxes! 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    MattNovak said:

I'm not a guitar maker, but a buyer/player and aside from Tony's aspect from building the guitar around the pickups (which makes a lot of sense), as a player (I play fingerstyle) I like bridges with wider string spacing, then getting pickups that fit the wider string spacing as well.

@TTony I really like all those guitars, in particular the finishes; I like the natural look opposed to some nitro guitars one which can be a bit too shiny, the LP with the PAF's is an an absolute stunner in particular. Fine work. 

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    MattNovak said:

I'm not a guitar maker, but a buyer/player and aside from Tony's aspect from building the guitar around the pickups (which makes a lot of sense), as a player (I play fingerstyle) I like bridges with wider string spacing, then getting pickups that fit the wider string spacing as well.

@TTony I really like all those guitars, in particular the finishes; I like the natural look opposed to some nitro guitars one which can be a bit too shiny, the LP with the PAF's is an an absolute stunner in particular. Fine work. 

You'd like the mojo dual foil doesn't matter what bridge you use, it's still epic
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497

You'd like the mojo dual foil doesn't matter what bridge you use, it's still epic
    It has rubber ceramic magnets, string spacing doesn't matter with those? I've been listening to a lot of Harmony H44's recently and I think I might have read the Hershey Bar of that is half a Mojo Dual Foil.

The problem with Mojo Marc's pickups is he makes too many interesting designs!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610

Thanks @earwighoney ; - for me it's partly a matter of choice (I prefer to see and feel the wood under a finish) and lack of skills/equipment to do anything else!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    MattNovak said:
    I also have one of these old Framus pickups somewhere, they'd be a ball ache to mount though...

Pretty sure those are the Bill Lawrence designed nuts he also marketed under his own name.
    I built a Tele around one, as a homage to a hero of mine - Steve Marriott, who had a very similar guitar in the late days of the Small Faces.
    As it turns out, these pickups are utterly incredible. Definitely a ‘lost gem’ with a tonality that’s in the P90 camp but got its own thing going on. Oh, and it’s HOT - about 9k but still has treble clarity. 
    Honestly it’s one of my favourite guitars now, and I’d recommend it to anyone.
    Pic for you - you can see the bigger Lawrence mount (it’s a bit ugly but I like it). 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I picked up a Schaller 8-string bass bridge and then had to put together an 8-string bass.  I think I've used it a couple of times since!

With a short vibrola and two mini himbuckers, you could make an Epiphone batwing Wilshire.  I think they are very cool, I have a batwing Coronet (the junior version):

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
     Built around a set of Westone tuners, which I didn't use because I didn't realise right handed tuners shouldn't be used on a lefty neck
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great looking tele (and others) @TTony ;

@impmann , I had three of the Framus pickups (rescued from a 60's 335 alike) but two are in a Tele now... did it years ago and the guitar itself is at my parents in storage. Will have to dig it out and reappraise it once the madness is over! Also, didn't we trade a 335 / LP Jr some years back? :D 

@PhilKing thats lovely. I'll see what I can find in terms of plans (only really need the body outline, I do my own thing with necks and scale length etc - just to get the shape right)

@Sarge, your strat looks lovely with the matching headstock. 

Fretboarders logic: I have a single ferrule: it cannot go unused - I must build an entire guitar around it  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    @MattNovak I think we did! Foolishly I let the 335 go a while back... I regretted it soon after.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    In answer to the OP, yep it’s how most of my builds start 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Ah, yes. The ol' Melvyn Hiscock Syndrome, as described in his book, Make Your Own Electric Guitar. Complete one build. Observe your container of unused parts. Devise a new build to use up these parts. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Build a 9/10 reverse Firebird with single pickup and your maestro wobbly bit? Or, you know when you turn a reverse Firebird upside down and it looks right,apart from the knobs wrong side? A reverse,reversed Firebird. Single pickup and maestro. Would look awesome.
    Great suggestions all, thanks. The British answer to the Epi stuff?