Neck through Flying V style build - Finished

What's Hot

Comments

• JGTayJGTay Frets: 210

A few updates.

The white spots disappeared after a small amount of sanding with 800 grit, they hadn't gone deep, just glad they were not a major issue. I then sanded all over up through the grades to 5000 grit, cleaned it off and hit it with a few more coats of clear.

In between doing the coats I made a truss rod cover and put a few coats of clear on it. 

I uncovered the neck and fret board, todays job was to do the side dots. Needed the neck to stay level while the glue dried, so using my stand for painting/staining guitar bodies I screwed on a block the same size as the pickup cavity and then clamped it in place. 

With a block of MDF on the back to keep it from marking the body.

Easy access to the neck :)

Will need a good clean up once the glue has dried and the neck will need a bit of the black stain again where I have been sanding everything level. Overall very happy with how it is looking. Needs a couple of weeks for the clear coats to cure before I can do the final sand and buff, so will concentrate on getting the neck tidied up and get a few coats of oil on there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

A couple of updates from today.

Did a bit of tidy up on the headstock and tested the truss rod cover in place.

Still a few marks near the nut that need tidying up.

Also sanded the body back and tidied it up, the logo looks a lot better and is totally level with the body. Still needs going over with a rubbing compound and final polish. Very happy with how it is looking with the hardware.

Still working on the neck, so haven't oiled the fretboard yet. Getting closer though...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Whilst waiting for the neck to cure from oiling, I did some sanding on the body and gave it a bit of a buff.

I have left the pores showing on the back as I like the effect it gives.

The front is a lot smoother...

Will probably do a bit more yet as it isn't totally smooth in some areas

Next job though will be tidying the fretboard and then a coat of oil so I can get started on the frets.

Wanted to show the front in daylight :)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27603
    That’s an impressive shine!

I like the little recess at the end of the cavity cover to get a finger into/under - nice touch.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    That’s an impressive shine!

I like the little recess at the end of the cavity cover to get a finger into/under - nice touch.
    Thanks Tony and thanks to @SteveRobinson for the clear nitro, extremely pleased with it and will definitely use it again.

It's a good job I did the recess, very tight fit on the cover and with the magnets holding it I actually need to use a screwdriver to prise it up. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Cleaned up the fretboard last night and managed to get a coat of Danish oil on it.

Took a pic first thing this morning before the next stage.

Masked off the frets...

Level, crown and buff done. First time on stainless frets, a bit more work but should be worth it.

Also put the Tusq nut in place ready for the next bit, not glued in place yet as it may need some adjustment.

Then it was measuring time, marked out the centre line and then triple checked my marking out before drilling pilot holes for the posts.

Just waiting on the 11.3mm drill bit to arrive now... hopefully in the next day or so.

While waiting for the drill bits required for the next stages I decided to make the hole for the 3 way switch the correct size.

Drilled a block of wood with the correct size hole and lined it up over the top of the switch hole then drilled through

3 way switch in place, lots of dust still to clean up.

Tested with the other hardware to see how it looks.

Neck position...

Bridge position...

And central :)

Hopefully can get the wiring done this week, so long as the drill bits arrive soon...

Drill bits arrived late morning, so drilled for the bridge posts and then got on with putting in the shielding and the it was in with the pots and jack.

Next up was the wiring, got the ground in first and then did the tone pot. Was just on with the neck pickup wiring, when my soldering iron decided to die....

Have been to my parents house and 'half inched' my dad's soldering iron, will finish the wiring in the morning. 

Bridge, pickups, pots and jack all in place.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Managed to get on with the wiring this morning.

No issues with the soldering iron, everything now in place... not as tidy as some I have seen on here, but good enough.

Next up was the machine heads.

And then onto the stringing up. Made some adjustments to the nut and bridge, the action is really good. Nut glued in place and then it was plug in and test... it works, very nice sound. Those Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem pickups are really nice.

Couple of pics with everything in place.

And then onto some glamour shots... not got the weather for the outdoor pics, so had to do some indoor shots.

Extremely pleased with the finished article, has been a really good project. Just waiting for it to be collected now, possibly this weekend.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    Fantastic. What a brilliant result, I'm amazed how you did it all using hand tools.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Out of interest, what stain did you use?
    Fantastic. What a brilliant result, I'm amazed how you did it all using hand tools.
    Thanks Steve, very much appreciated and thanks again for the clear nitro, really is a very good product and will definitely buy again for future projects :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    vanlooy1 said:
    Out of interest, what stain did you use?
    Crimson Guitars black stunning stains shots. Only a small bottle, but it goes a long way, just mix it with water and you get a dropper with it. 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Great, thanks
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    I've really enjoyed seeing this all come together - what a great build! I hope Def Robot like it :) 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    MattNovak said:
    I've really enjoyed seeing this all come together - what a great build! I hope Def Robot like it :) 
    Thanks Matt. Has been a fun build. 

Will find out on Sunday what they think, but they have been keeping up with the progress and have been happy with everything I have done with it. Just hope they like how it feels and sounds... 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Lovely job.  A very nice take on the V theme.  Very classy :)
    Lovely job.  A very nice take on the V theme.  Very classy :)
    Thanks Andy :) 

Forgot to do the weigh in...

Just over 6.3lb