Klein build

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    normula1 said:
    looking superb BTW
    Thanks. I spent a hour this morning carving a shallow valley above the neck pickup. It means that the top edge is narrower, and flows around the player’s body. To the audience there’s no change. It won’t be visible to anyone except the player
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited July 2020
    Cool! Starting to look like a guitar now

Comments:

1. Neck humbucker
    2. Neck outer coil (too weak, prefer both coils in Parallel)
    3. Both inner coils (spanky but a bit bland)
    4. Bridge outer coil (a bit weak volume wise)
    5. Bridge humbucker.

My recommendation:
    1 Neck HB
    2 Neck (Partial split with 5k resistor)
    3 both HBs or neck HB + bridge split in parallel or inner/outer coils in series)
    4 Bridge (partial split 8k resistor)
    5 Bridge HB

The simplest to do without a 5 way superswitch would be would be the PRS 3 way switch wiring where the partal split is on the tone knob push pull.

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Roland said:
    TTony said:
    I was going to say it's good to see something different being made here.

But then I realised that most of the M&M builds are different in one way or another!

So it's good to see one of these being made and your approach to solving the different challenges that this design creates.
    That’s what I enjoy about this section. It’s often the small details, like Graham’s double holes for pickup wiring, that give those Ahhh moments.
    I don’t want to derail the thread too much, but do you have a link to the double-hole thing? I tried searching but no luck. Searching “double hole” in Google is likely to find something quite different...
    Today was a tale of two other holes: the control and switch cavities. Noting @Andyjr1515’s point in another thread about recording the build in detail here’s more than you probably want to know.

The control cavity was cut without a template. The back of the body is angled at this point, and routing from a template would have meant that the cavity wasn’t square with the front. Pilot holes for the potentiometer shafts were drilled from the front, going right through the body. Round cavities for the pots themselves were drilled from the bottom using a Forstner bit. The wood between them was removed with a smaller Forstner and a chisel. The holes created by the points on the Forstners were filled with sawdust followed by cyano acrylic glue, which also toughens the thin section at the top of the cavity.

To create the cover plates I made templates from mdf. Did I say earlier that I couldn’t buy mdf at the moment? This piece was recovered from a neighbours waste bin. The template was used both to route out a 5mm deep shape around the cavity, and also to mark out the cover plate outline on a spare piece of the body wood. Using the same template means that the plate, and the hole it fits into, are different by the width of a scroll saw blade. Something which the closest measuring isn’t going to achieve. 

They fit nicely, but I might recut the cross-grained cover. I was trying to save wood, but I think it might be false economy.

Covers are held in with neodymium magnets. Not using screws means that I can route and sand the covers and body to shape. The magnets are inset by 0.5mm. To make the shallow holes I used a brad bit drill, and rotated the drill chuck backwards by hand. Rotating forwards bites too much. The base of each hole was then levelled with a nail punch before glueing the magnet in.

The blue ink on the magnets is how I know north from south, and don’t glue the magnets in the wrong way up. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cool! Starting to look like a guitar now

Comments:

1. Neck humbucker
    2. Neck outer coil (too weak, prefer both coils in Parallel)
    3. Both inner coils (spanky but a bit bland)
    4. Bridge outer coil (a bit weak volume wise)
    5. Bridge humbucker.

My recommendation:
    1 Neck HB
    2 Neck (Partial split with 5k resistor)
    3 both HBs or neck HB + bridge split in parallel or inner/outer coils in series)
    4 Bridge (partial split 8k resistor)
    5 Bridge HB

The simplest to do without a 5 way superswitch would be would be the PRS 3 way switch wiring where the partal split is on the tone knob push pull.

Thanks. I haven’t tried partial splits before, which seems a good reason for doing so this time.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited July 2020
    Partial splits are great. Rather than fixed resistors, I use multi-turn trimmers and just tweak until it sounds the best for a given pickup. https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/trimmer-resistors/5219647/
    It has not been a good day. Drilling wiring channels between cavities and the drill wandered. 

Now sitting with the first of several beers wondering whether to plug the hole or put a plate around the switch.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Ouch
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    Roland said:
    It has not been a good day. Drilling wiring channels between cavities and the drill wandered. 

Now sitting with the first of several beers wondering whether to plug the hole or put a plate around the switch.
    Is that anywhere that you could position the output jack? You could route a channel into the body if so and inset it perhaps
    Nope, it’s on the front of the body, below the neck pickup. Couldn’t be more visible.

I’ve just ordered a plug cutter bit.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Ouch !!  There quite a bit of grain there in that spot so with a plug and sanding back it will probably be disguised fine hopefully. 
    Right, let’s get back on the horse. I’ve filled most of the drilled hole with dowel, leaving the important last inch to be filled with a plug made from an offcut of the body wood. That will have to wait until he plug cutter arrives.

Today’s step forward has been the bridge screw inserts. In my view three M3 bolts will be more secure than five short wood screws.

Also shown is my installation tool. A bolt, stiffed out with spare nuts, and the all important washer before the steel insert. The longish bolt helps me see that it’s straight. The washer spreads the pressure across both sides of the screwdriver slot at the top of insert, and prevents it bending or collapsing the thread.

The interminable sanding has to be paused until the hole is plugged. Normally I prefer bound bodies. Black or white plastic binding outlines the shape, and protects the body from those inevitable bumps. So it felt strange to round off the edges. I started with a round over bit, and then sanded further to produce a fully round edge. This is where I got to. It reminds me of the well worn hand carved items which you find in museums.

• PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    This is a great build, thanks for sharing, actually something that I would do myself if I had the balls! In fact I think I bought some necks from you with the intention!
    It puts me in mind of a Teuffel Niwa version of a Klein, which is a very cool idea!
    Plukky said:
    This is a great build, thanks for sharing, actually something that I would do myself if I had the balls! In fact I think I bought some necks from you with the intention!
    It puts me in mind of a Teuffel Niwa version of a Klein, which is a very cool idea!
    This neck is from the same batch. 
    edited July 2020
    Having plugged the wandering hole, and drilling a few more In place where I do want them, I’ve been sanding, and sanding, and more sanding. Even with the air cleaner going full blast the workshop has this sheen of Martian dust, and my clothes look as though I’ve been helping Mark Watney clean the rover. The out come is this:

My original intention was to use black paint, sanded back, to bring out the body grain. I tried it out on the flat slab before I started work on the body and it looked good. Contouring the body seems to have enhanced the grain, well it’s taken away the straight grain lines. The Mahogany and Ovangkol grains seem well balanced, so I’m not sure the black is necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    That is stunning Roland, definitely wouldn't worry about the black, the grain really pops. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16678
    looks great as it is... i love the "eye" on the bass side of the body
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    A few coats of oil or lacquer and that body will look even more stunning
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Love it - can’t wait to see it with the hardware fitted.