The Swiss army kife of MIAB pedal..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited June 2020
    TTBZ said:
    On the more boutique side of things I'd be looking at an MI Audio Super Crunchbox V2. It has a full EQ with presence, lo/hi gain switch and a compression switch. I had the original pre-super version and it was really good, this must be even better. They're only around £100 too which isn't bad for a booteek pedal!
    It's funny, I've never perceived MI Audio as boutique - it might be their graphics or what not. I would be happy to own any of their pedals as I'm sure they're damned fine, and the Super Crunch would be one of those on my list. 

Back to the OP: 

I've owned an original UK big box Guv'nor which was amazing, but sold it due to it's size and bought a JHS Angry Charlie V2 which was alot of MIAB fun. 

I currently own a Barber Direct Drive (V2?), and that is definitely worth checking out. 

Next time I'm in the market for a MIAB I will buy the GV-2 for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    JMP220478 said:

Carl Martin Plexitone ( small box)
    I haven't tried the small one, but the big Carl Martin Plexitone was great - except that by 'Plexi', they mean more like Van Halen in a box, than Kossoff...

Also worth mentioning the Marshall Drivemaster - very similar to the original Guv'nor, but usually can be found a lot cheaper. Of the two I actually prefer it - it's a little more open and dynamic - but some people find the Guv'nor is marginally smoother. They're very close though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Marvel Ramble Drive covers a lot of ground authentically imo.
    Zvex Distortron also pretty decent too.

Highly dependant on what amp you’re playing through though!
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    The closest I’ve heard to an actually Marshall is the revival drive. But it was just too finicky for my taste. The marvel v3 is very good as is the Thorpy Bunker. Which is the one I’m currently using.
    i did try the Pettyjohn gold mkii. I thought the demos were fantastic. But I just couldn’t get it working for me. It had a strange mid frequency that I found a bit grating to my ears. I couldn’t seem to dial it out. Plus I tried it against the revival drive, which blew it out the water for me. It was after owning the revival for a bit the amount of adjustment started to bother me and I sold the pedal.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042

I’ve never tried one but on looks alone I’ve always fancied a Marvel Ramble Drive.

Guv’nor’s are pretty good.
    Can I sell you a Ramble Drive? Mark 3, Red, looks like this: 

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ramble-fx-marvel-drive-3-red.html

£120 delivered? :)

R.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Weehbo JCM for low/med gain. JVM much higher gain and different voice, as you'd expect. Tons of EQ power in these. I kept the JCM, it loves stacking and takes fuzz really well.
    Liked the La Grange a lot too but the Weehbo eq makes it better for me.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    More cheaper alternatives, imho, are;

- Barber Gain Changer
    - Bearfoot Dyna Red (really really good)
    - Thorpy Gunshot

I actually think that the Marshall sound (whatever that means) is one of the easier ones to get in a pedal.
  • Mooer Cruncher. You’ll be amazed! 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Loads

Xotic SL Drive
    Suhr Riot Reloaded
    MXR Super Badass
    Marshall Drivemaster
    j Rocket 10 Ton Hammer
    Goosoniqueworx 7thvn 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    jeztone2 said:
    Loads

Xotic SL Drive
    Suhr Riot Reloaded
    MXR Super Badass
    Marshall Drivemaster
    j Rocket 10 Ton Hammer
    Goosoniqueworx 7thvn 
    I forgot about the xotic sl drive. That’s a really good pedal!
  • baggybillbaggybill Frets: 26
    I like the zvex box of rock, but not really Swiss army knife, more one awesome sound type
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited June 2020
    The Zvex Distortron is good too, and a bit more versatile than the BOR with the gain and sub switches, though it won't do the higher gain/800 style drive. I just found it too muddy/bassy on any of the higher sub switches, and the one it sounded best still seemed to have a weird "thin but still muddy" low end. But its the closest I've tried so far in a pedal that does get the Marshall "kerrang" kind of thing. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    SL Drive
    Also I have a vague memory that the old black Boss HM2 got a decent Marshall 80s tone?
  • Unexpectedly, I’ve found that the Boss OD-3 I bought a million years ago in April does a hugely satisfying Marshall sound (70’s and 80’s) into a clean Fender amp. 

Seriously. I know it’s marketed as more of a smooth, full range drive, but it’s got the chunky low end, the right character to the breakup, and the top end bite. Max out the gain and you’re well into JCM800 territory. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom