Your forever guitars

What's Hot
Just wondering what your "forever" guitars are. 

In the last 25 years I've bought and sold a ridiculous number of guitars but there are a couple that I couldn't get rid of - no matter how skint and desperate. 

My 2006 Fender US 52 reissue telecaster and my early 00s Seagull acoustic are just too deeply a part of my guitar identity I couldn't ever get rid of them.  
I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind - rolling in from a distance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Without sounding glib - all of them.  I've never sold a guitar, the collection just keeps expanding :).  I think I just get to know them and then feel like I can't get rid.

Amps, on the other hand, I don't seem to have the same attachment to and plenty have come and gone down the years.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I only play at home, I have a one acoustic three electric rule, therefore I have always accepted I will move guitars on so have not had a forever guitar.  The 79 strat I bought last year is possibly going to be a never sell as I can't justify spending much more and it plays great sounds great and looks great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I have two. One is a cheap Strat copy which I got when I was 13 (24 years ago). I've upgraded the pickups and electrics this year but there's just something about it that draws me to it - love the neck. 

The other is a Breedlove acoustic which I've had for 16 years. It's a truly inspiring guitar that is a genuine joy to play.

Both of these were bought in memory of grandparents so they have sentimental value way beyond their monetary value which is possibly a factor in why I love playing them so much. But they both (excuse the cliche) feel like home when I play them. 

Will never get rid of either. 
  • Slash'N'burnSlash'N'burn Frets: 162

My Gibson LP Custom 1990 - My kids will inherit this one :)

Also my first ever guitar, a 1970 Yamaha FG300 acoustic - bought by my Dad in the early seventies from a guy who ran the Orange amps factory. My Dad then left it in the loft for decades until I discovered it in the mid 90's when I was 17- and I've been playing it ever since. It sounds great to me so no need for me to ever buy another acoustic.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    2003 Fender Strat.
    Best strat I've ever played in 30 years playing - and I'm usually a Gibson scale man.

Unfortunately my forever bass had to be sold as it was too heavy for me after surgery. It was a Marleaux Consat Custom 5 string. Never had a bass sound or play better irrespective of price.

It's been gone 2 years and I'm still gutted.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    My 68 reissue Strat. Had it 20 years now and won't ever get rid of it, it would be like cutting a limb off if I were to get rid of it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited June 2020
    I don't have any sentimental value to any of my guitars, if I am keeping the first one then it's the Taylor T5 but take that point away i would be keeping my blue PRS SC58. 

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

I used to think it was my Charvel San Dimas and although it's a great guitar to play, I just don't pick it up much these days. I always thought I'd never sell it, but I maybe will at some point I think, just not yet. 

I'm pretty sure my Les Paul LPJ is my forever guitar now. I've put so much time into it, and changed absolutely everything on it since new. It's got a super thin finish on it which just falls off if you so much as look at it, but it's my go to guitar and just feels so comfortable now. It's had various guises over the years but this is how it stands at the minute. I'll maybe put a humbucker back in the bridge at some point, but I'm enjoying playing about with this set up at the minute. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Has to be 2....A 2011 PRS MEQ and a Warmoth Partscaster with Gatton T-Style pickups. The MEQ just because it's so unbelievably good, and the Partcaster because it sounds far better than a box of random parts manufactured across the last 25yrs has any right to.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited June 2020
    These: 80's Kinman Blueprint Telecaster

These two:

2011 Tom Anderson Classic and a 2012 Forshage Orion.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    My 2008 Les Paul Standard in satin burst.

Purchased with some 'left over' mortgage money, and my first 'proper' guitar. Purchased without seeing it, and it's amazing. Superb finish (which now has a natural relic'd look to it due to the natural wear and tear from being played on the satin top), plays amazingly well (action is about 0.8mm at the 21st fret with no buzz), and sustains for days.

Never seen another Les Paul like it - and have had numerous offers from people to purchase it!

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Stevepage said:
    My 68 reissue Strat. Had it 20 years now and won't ever get rid of it, it would be like cutting a limb off if I were to get rid of it.
    @Stevepage - is that a Japanese guitar by any chance?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I have 3 absolute non-negotiables - Gibson CS-336, MIJ Paisley Tele and my old green Strat that's had more parts than trigger's broom.

Then I have 4 others which I intend to keep forever but would probably move if I absolutely needed to for financial reasons - SG Std, MJT Jazzmaster, WezV/Guitargeek62 Cabronita, Martin HD28. 

In recent years I haven't bought anything that isn't good enough to potentially go into one of those categories. I'd like to add a Jaguar, a Rickenbacker, a Gretsch and an LP Junior/Special DC eventually
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    FarleyUK said:
    My 2008 Les Paul Standard in satin burst.

Purchased with some 'left over' mortgage money, and my first 'proper' guitar. Purchased without seeing it, and it's amazing. Superb finish (which now has a natural relic'd look to it due to the natural wear and tear from being played on the satin top), plays amazingly well (action is about 0.8mm at the 21st fret with no buzz), and sustains for days.

Never seen another Les Paul like it - and have had numerous offers from people to purchase it!

That is a glorious chunk of wood. Superb 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I couldn't possibly single out one of my guitars. What if the other ones read this thread and walked out on me?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3749
    2 x HJ Williams custom builds and a '74 SG (which is currently having a new neck built, retaining the fretboard - long story but this is pre-any fixing up):

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4802
    edited June 2020
    Probably my 99 Les Paul Standard that's been mine from new, at a push I would sell the others but that one is going nowhere and my daughters will inherit it hopefully. I have toyed with selling this over the years as I ended up a drummer at one point, and this was loaned to our guitarist. However once I was back on guitar I got it back and it popped in and out of favour. I'm ashamed of myself for even thinking about selling it now!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Ooooh more lovely guitar flesh to lust over while I'm supposed to be virtually working.  Yum.

Personally, I'm an utter faithless slut when it comes to these things: fuelled in the main by this very forum's classifieds, I have bought and sold probably scores of the wretched things in the last few years.  Through all that there are but two to which I have stayed True and Constant:

(i) my Les Paul Standard that I bought new from Peter Cook's Guitar World in 2004 with the proceeds of the first sizeable work payout I'd ever had, now lavishly appointed with BKP Mules and push pull things that to my cloth ears serve absolutely fuck all purpose, and

(ii) my now heavily modded TVL Jazzmaster that I scored from eBay of all places in c.2015 as a beat up wreck, and on which I learned my extremely limited soldering, repair, set up and modification skills.  Now sporting Mastery hardware, Creamery and Novak pickups and the most expensive piece of plastic in the history of ever in the form of a Spitfire scratch plate.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve sold every forever guitar I’ve ever had, and there have been a few! Life overtakes, one does what is necessary. It’s only a tool 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I’ve sold every forever guitar I’ve ever had, and there have been a few! Life overtakes, one does what is necessary. It’s only a tool 
    I hear that: went through a phase of sticking Harrison/Clapton style Hare Krishna stamps on anything I declared a 'forever' guitar.  

Guess what?  Sold 'em all :naughty: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer