Hx stomp or iridium?

What's Hot
razorblade_beatrazorblade_beat Frets: 56
edited June 2020 in FX
It’s probs been covered extensively not been on here in a few months, looking potentially at grabbing a decent amp modeller for recording/prac and id like to use it live in stereo with my amp.

How are people finding either the iridium or hx stomp after living with them for a while? 

Would like a kemper but not got the monies to drop on that plus I’ve heard some good tones from the helix stuff live so I’m intrigued by the stomp and the iridium as I generally think strymon make products that are great quality and last. Line 6 im defo more skeptical about for longevity...

Generally I’m not bothered about effects, as I’m running into my board. Want great tone and feel if possible...

Thoughts anyone?

Howay @Wazmeister what you been feasting on these days?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

If you don't need effects, bass amps, acoustic IR's, multiple amps / cabs, audio interface etc, then the Strymon would be easier to deal with on a pedalboard.  Simpler and less power hungry for a start and pretty plug and play with no learning curve.

I'm happy with the Stomp, but if I didn't need the things on the list above would have gone for the Strymon for simplicity.  
    But as it stands the Stomp is the hub of my board / practising / recording setup, so the Strymon wasn't an option.

• daviesjdaviesj Frets: 26
    I have a small board with an iridium, Tc electronic plethora and a few drives. Really loving the simplicity and sounds I am getting. The iridium is great as a basis for a pedalboard in my opinion

I have had a stomp, full helix and kemper in the past. All of them are really good but the constant tweaking/ option paralysis was the reason I moved on in all instances
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've been really impressed with my Helix.

One of the things that pushed me away from the Strymon is that you don't have the flexibility to connect it up to a PC and it doesn't have the complete package for headphone practice like a looper, line in etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    In terms of longevity my Iridium died after 6 months, Hx stomp is still live and kicking after nearly 2 years
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Does the iridium require a DI box? 

@JohnCordy despite the failure of the strymon for amp tone and feel which did you prefer? 

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @razorblade_beat if you're gigging live with the iridium and a long cable run, they recommend a di box, in the house you won't need it.

Heres my thoughts on the whole Hx stomp Vs Iridium thing!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited June 2020
    I've not tried an Iridium but I haven't been impressed with the sound on any of the demos, at least for the kind of tones I go for. The Vox model sounded pretty good though.

Had a Stomp and it's one of those things I wish I never sold. Didn't realise how handy it was til I got rid of it and my playing at home time went back down to almost 0. The usb interface works perfectly for recording or just jamming to tracks on the laptop and I/O and FX wise the whole thing is really flexible. For instance I could use it through headphones for playing at home, or just as an FX processor with a real amp with a band, with the option to go direct to PA as a backup. Iridium won't give you any of the fx or interface options. I'm gonna get a Stomp again soon I think.
  • @johncorby great informative video! thanks! tasty playing on the other vids too! when you say long cable are we talking 20ft plus?

Can the HX run two amps one L and R?
  • daviesj said: I have had a stomp, full helix and kemper in the past. All of them are really good but the constant tweaking/ option paralysis was the reason I moved on in all instances
    Favorites in 3.0 should hopefully go a long way toward alleviating this.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I’ve had my stomp for a year now and its one of the best things I’ve ever bought. It’s such a well thought out and designed piece of kit, I use it pretty much every day. Get one, I really don’t think you will regret it.
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    The stomp is brilliant, and if you have the space in your presets to load some custom IR’s that’s when it comes into its own. The USB recording is also great, something I never used initially and now can’t live without
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @paul_xt yeah was planning on grabbing some good IR’s to load in! Thanks for the input!
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    @razorblade_beat you can’t go far wrong with the Michael Britt ones, they’re stellar
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    The Redwirez free 412 one is worth trying as well. 
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited June 2020
    daviesj said: I have had a stomp, full helix and kemper in the past. All of them are really good but the constant tweaking/ option paralysis was the reason I moved on in all instances
    Favorites in 3.0 should hopefully go a long way toward alleviating this.
    People that say this baffle me.  It’s like a supermarket or TV, you don’t need to buy, watch, use it all, just the bits you like

had my helix 4years and still haven’t tried everything, it’s a toolkit, pick the tools that are appropriate for what you’re trying to do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Celestion do some good ir’s, I’ve got their Laney LA pack (basically greenbacks in Laney cabs). 

As for option paralysis, I had that a bit at the start but like @John_A says, it’s a tool kit so just use what you need. 
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    I use a Stomp and It is really Good and can do everything well. It takes pedals well
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Love my Iridium. Best sounding solution I’ve come across for bedroom studio recording where even a quiet amp miced is out of the question. 
    Love it’s simplicity too. Nothing worse than getting bogged down with too many options. 
    Never tried a Stomp
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I’d get the HX Stomp. Even if you don’t want the effects, there’s more amps and cabs, HX Edit is great, and it’s doubles as an interface if you record.