Hx stomp or iridium?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    I personally think that both are the top of their game, but for differing reasons.

The HX Stomp is an amazing, nay revolutionary device. Aside from the fx, and the amps/cabs - the user interface is superb and the creative options are almost endless. I think the verbs and delays are as good as, although Ive never found the amp modelling to be great. I don't own one, but have done 3 times, and def would again...

The Iridium is the most 'natural' sounding amp modeller Ive used (aside from the Kemper, naturally). It's real strength is simplicity. Simply, 3 amps 3 IRs.

Easy to use and remember, easy to incorporate in to your pedalboard, superb headphones. No need to buy, trawl through 100s of IRs unless thats your thing. The lack of FX loop, and the fact that it doesn't operate as an interface lets it down, maybe.

So, its a simple choice. Which path do you want to take ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Why would you want an fx loop on the iridium?  Just bang your delay/verb after it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    John_A said:
    Why would you want an fx loop on the iridium?  Just bang your delay/verb after it
    or try running them before, it's got its charm too :)
    John_A said:
    Headphones 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:
    Headphones 
    Does it have a headphone out?  Didn’t know that 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • razorblade_beatrazorblade_beat Frets: 56
    edited June 2020
    You can only run one amp model from the iridium is that correct? And the hx you can run 2 L and R? Also what cable do you need to power the HX by all accounts looks like a pain in the ass. Got a zuma but assuming I’ll need adapter if I was to get one. 

I’m a big strymon fan, but cost and the fact it’s only 3 amps kinda puts me off, not that I switch amps much and generally the models I would use would be one of the three but intrigued by the idea of a few different amps. Does anyone think the quality of the iridium is better than the HX? Or is it splitting hairs abit
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304
    If you want something for headphone practice, I would say the Boss Waza Air headphones are the best thing.

I got to try a pair recently and was really impressed. No, the amp sims aren’t as good as the Helix (or probably the Iridium, I haven’t heard one myself), but if your main practice thing is playing along with songs/backing tracks there is no better experience. 

The ambience options allow you to bed your guitar into what you are playing along with so it feels like you are there and part of the track. And not having any wires attached and being able to walk around you can totally rock out. I stuck on a track I know pretty well -Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees - and at the end of it I was nearly out of breath, turning around to the band and asking if I got the gig!

• I want something for prac That inspires and for recording and if it sounded good enough something for live maybe even in stereo with my real amp if it worked out.
    edited June 2020
    You can only run one amp model from the iridium is that correct? And the hx you can run 2 L and R? Also what cable do you need to power the HX by all accounts looks like a pain in the ass. Got a zuma but assuming I’ll need adapter if I was to get one. 

I’m a big strymon fan, but cost and the fact it’s only 3 amps kinda puts me off, not that I switch amps much and generally the models I would use would be one of the three but intrigued by the idea of a few different amps. Does anyone think the quality of the iridium is better than the HX? Or is it splitting hairs abit
    I’d say minor inconvenience rather than pain in the ass, it’s like that for a reason, blowing your power supply would be a pain in the ass

quality is certainly subjective, but the HX amps are brilliant, as are the multitude of fx, the usb recording capability and midi integration and the ability to use in 4CM with a real amp

think the iridium is different all together, it’s just an amp/cab sim with minimal options that will suit some people who don’t want all the options of the HX 
    edited June 2020
    I want something for prac That inspires and for recording and if it sounded good enough something for live maybe even in stereo with my real amp if it worked out.
    Stomp is your answer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
     There is no tuner in the Iridium and also the HX Stomp can be used as an interface. Personally for me the HX Stomp would be my choice, especially as they cost around the same amount.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    daviesj said: I have had a stomp, full helix and kemper in the past. All of them are really good but the constant tweaking/ option paralysis was the reason I moved on in all instances
    Favorites in 3.0 should hopefully go a long way toward alleviating this.
    Oooh! What’s this about ‘favourites’ in the HX update Intrigued? and when is version 3.0 likely to come out?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24450
    edited June 2020
    daviesj said: I have had a stomp, full helix and kemper in the past. All of them are really good but the constant tweaking/ option paralysis was the reason I moved on in all instances
    Favorites in 3.0 should hopefully go a long way toward alleviating this.
    Oooh! What’s this about ‘favourites’ in the HX update Intrigued? and when is version 3.0 likely to come out?

Soon!

L6 have never given due dates for updates.