Which acoustic under £1k - sorted

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
edited June 2020 in Acoustics
I want a decent acoustic - my arthritic thumb makes playing electrics a literal pain these days but with my cheap acoustic I can play for ages without the after effects that my Strat and Tele give me. Also, I’m never going to be Larry Carlton, but I’m a pretty handy Neil Young and I think I’d like to focus on acoustic for a while.

I want something smaller than a dreadnought and bigger than a parlour - or at least with a 14th fret join - probably new given the current situation. Trying them out is unlikely for a while so I’m probably looking at an online purchase, which is always a risk but I’m happy to take a chance.

Also, I’m bored so furnish me with opinions / experiences in the sub £1000 range please.  Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Right now I would be grabbing one of these Yamahas - 

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/yamaha-mega-deal/

Exceptional deal. The 16-series is all-solid wood and is a great guitar even at the original price. 

The LJ is basically their “in between” size - it’s a “mini jumbo” but smaller than their LL dreadnought shape and bigger than their smallest size, the LS which is closer to an OM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I did spot those and thought they looked a great deal. Interesting... I’ve never had a Yamaha product (electric, acoustic, amp or  keyboard) that was poor but I’ve also never had one I fell in love with either. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    I'd also look at some larrivees or Furch, both make excellent instruments under a grand, new and used
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Struggling to find any Larivees under £1k but will investigate Furch for sure.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    edited June 2020
    Faith is another brand worth looking at if you’re not set alight by the Yamahas... solid build quality IME and most of them save for their very top end models are well under £1k. 

You’ll have to get to grips with their unique model shape naming (all named for planets) but they cover most of the basics in their own way. 
    I have played a few Faiths before and did like them a lot. Venus I think is the “best” shape so they are also very much under consideration, as are the Yams!
    Now that is lovely. Let me think overnight. I'm in NI so not sure what your courier options are though. Some companies seem to charge a fortune to deliver over here. I'll drop you a PM.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    How about the sheeran by Lowden? Made in a Ireland by Lowden and supposed to be amazing. Well under a grand n all 
    Yeah, but Ed Sheeran...  I struggle to get passed that. I'm shallow, I know. I should investigate further really. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Red ones are better. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Faith Venus
    edited June 2020
    @TimmyO ;; - that looks lovely. A bit over budget though, but I am quite tempted by Eastman. @WindmillGuitars ;
    is fairly local and I'm sure he'd do me a deal (nudge / wink) 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    In your position, you need to think carefully about neck profile.  Some makers are giving the acoustics a more "modern" electric style neck.  You need to work out what it is that is different on your acoustic neck to your Strat and Tele, and make sure you get something that works for you.

Alternatively, look at a big neck for one of your Fenders.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @Chuffola - drop me a line! 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Furch Blue series. All solid wood, stunning guitars.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Some great suggestions already. Furch, Faith, Yamaha. I'd add Eastman to the mix as well, as I've never come across a brand that punches above it's weight at a given pricepoint to the same extent.

Also maybe a used Martin 15 series?
    edited June 2020
    So despite being mightily tempted by cbellanga's Taylor, I decided to go new and thanks to Simon @WindmillGuitars got the chance to look at and try a few Eastmans this afternoon, suitably socially distant / hygienically appropriate.  Despite being almost certain I was going to go for the E6OM - which is a beautiful guitar - I (for once in my life) went sub-budget and picked up the E2OM.  Cedar top and solid sapele back / sides and less bling than the E6 but neck felt good and mellower tone (in the 15 mins I had to try them out) sold it for me. The spec / value ratio is really impressive and it's good to have not had to buy blind. 

It's a bit more rustic looking than the E6 with open pore back and sides but with a nice satin nitro finish on the cedar top and a beautiful dark and polished ebony board. I think it's a cracker. Very pleased and can highly recommend you have a chat with Simon if you're after something similar. 

Thanks for all the recommendations. Wisdoms all round.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Ace. I have a soft spot for Cedar - over the years I owned a couple of cedar topped guitars - my ear seems to like em 

congrats 
    Red ones are better. 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @Chuffola good to see you - enjoy the Eastman
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)