How do you listen to music and other questions...

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4993
I am a member of a Hi-Fi website and a current discussion is about why musicians often have very mediocre music replay systems.  So I decided to ask you guys about your listening to music.  Your replies, if any, will be condensed into my contribution to the discussion so please contribute to the accuracy of my knowledge.

1 How do you listen to music?  Earbuds, stereo system, in car,  etc.

2 What medium do you prefer?  Vinyl, CD, streaming, MP3,  etc.

3 Do you hear everything you want to hear from your replay system?

4 In round figures, how much did your system cost or how much a similar system would cost today?

5 Did you ever listen to music through a good Hi-Fi system and, if so, would you be tempted to try to get a better system than the one you have?

6 Please add any further comments you wish on this subject

I am not fronting a market research project or intending to use any information for any commercial purposes.  It is purely to compose and write up a reply to the forum question about Musicians and their mediocre music replay systems.  I will post a link to my reply when it is 'up'.

Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    edited June 2020
    90% is mp3, either from tracks on my phone or live performances on YouTube. That is usually played through headphones (Bose NC700, Sennheiser Momentum 2 or Shure SE215), or Marshall Bluetooth speaker if I’m in the kitchen. Otherwise it’s in the car, or occasionally through the “proper” AV system.

All of that is absolutely “good enough” for my purposes. I will never understand those who spend thousands on hifi gear that’s based on pseudoscience.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Rocker said:
    I am a member of a Hi-Fi website and a current discussion is about why musicians often have very mediocre music replay systems.  So I decided to ask you guys about your listening to music.  Your replies, if any, will be condensed into my contribution to the discussion so please contribute to the accuracy of my knowledge.

4 In round figures, how much did your system cost or how much a similar system would cost today?

5 Did you ever listen to music through a good Hi-Fi system and, if so, would you be tempted to try to get a better system than the one you have?

1. Several ways - a mid-range hi-fi amp and speakers connected to a computer playing AAC and mp3 files, an old 1950s mono ‘mid fi’ cabinet connected to the computer in my workshop, a car radio, or very occasionally a proper hi-fi.

2. Given the choice, CD. For convenience, AAC/mp3.

3. Yes, because it’s context-dependent. In the workshop or the car I just need to hear the song and the arrangement really.

4. My proper hi-fi cost £1500 in 1989. The one I use most cost £200 in 1984... and the old cabinet in the workshop was free!

5. Yes, and although I don’t really need a better system, I do need to upgrade the speakers.

6. Context is everything. I love listening to well-produced music on CD via a great system, but most of the time that’s not important - mp3 through a mono cabinet while I work is better than an old AM radio, and I don’t need to hear the nuances of the recording, just the music.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    No idea what a replay system is. Most of my listening is  on the kitchen or car radio.

I'd stream albums or podcasts on Spotify during/after a shower. Occasionally choose to play along to mp3 or CDs on guitar or base for amusement.

Up to lockdown the only other time I'd listen to music was practising the set for band rehearsals and gigs.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Whilst I have a separates HiFi system (turntable - pre amp - amp - speakers - CD player - Id guess it would cost about £1500 to replace, but some of it is quite old) I also have a 4 year old grandson who lives with me and the wife has 5 cats.  Its virtually impossible to play anything or leave equipment out without tiny hands or grubby paws getting over everything.  Therefore HiFi is currently secured away.   I have vinyl (approx 500 albums),  CDs (approx 2000 which includes a lot of duplicated of the vinyl) even a few tapes in box somewhere, and i fully understand that for quality purposes it would be better to listen to the original physical format.  However due to family life and work and just for the shear convenience of it, my entire CD collection is ripped (at as high a rate as I can) onto my phone and played via bluetooth when I'm in the car or cooking in the kitchen.  The last time i had a few hours on my own to just sit and listen I was on a plane - not optimal conditions - so everything is a compromise.
    I used to listen intently to try to get all the nuanced elements out of the music but tinnitus has put paid to some of the frequencies so now I just enjoy what I can.

Not sure if that answers your question

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    edited June 2020
                     Mostly commuting in the car. When gym's reopen I use an iPod with any headphones that aren't earbuds. Hate them.

I like CD. I like the feeling that I own the music. I LOVE vinyl, but not had a working record player for 20+ years.

No. It's crap and I'm in an old car doing 80 on the motorway.

Just bought a replacement for the car. £45 secondhand. Nicked the iPod off my son as he owed me money. 

I used to and I LOVE great sound. Can't afford it and no room for it  

My dream is to one day have my own room in a house. Comfy chair for reading and listening to music, desk with my computer, a choice selection of favourite instruments, my 1000+ vinyl albums, my 2000 CDs, all my books and an awesome hi-fi. 

EDIT: and I never do streaming. Legalised robbery, legitimised parasites.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    edited June 2020
    1 How do you listen to music? 
    Mostly in the studio, sometimes in the living rooms, car, or when running.
    Studio- Kii Three or ATC SCM45a's fed by a Grace M905.
    Living rooms: B&W 685's with Denon AV receivers.
    Earbuds: Apple AirPods Pro's
    Car: Bose system that Porsche charge about £2k for.

100% digitally, but usually high end digital (Tidal) or uncompressed.
    I don't own any CD's.
    I do have some vinyl that I collected from my mother's house but I don't play them currently.

In the studio yes.
    I live with the inadequacies of other systems.

I have a few different setups.

Kii Threes were £10k
    ATC's were £7k
    Grace M905: £3k

Living rooms: B&W/Denon were about a grand a piece.
    Earbuds were £250.

So let's say £23k all up.

If I could afford it I'd put Kii Three's in every room of the house.
    I cannot afford or justify this though.

I also won't spend more than a grand on the systems in the living rooms.
    I don't really need better audio there, I'd rather invest in the studio.

I am not wearing any trousers.

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    edited June 2020
    My stuff is low end separates (Marantz, Q Acoustics and Pro-ject) but I never get chance to use them. I listen to a lot of stuff in the car (Standard VW) or on headphones (£100 AKGs). Mostly Spotify.

I think you should be asking your hifi buffs why they're more interested in their systems than the actual music. The two guys I know with the most expensive systems (40k+ in one case) have appalling record collections. "Listen to this Julia Fordham track.. the separation is incredible!".

Don't get me wrong I'd love a really expensive system but I'm addicted to guitars... they have to come first.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    90% is mp3, either from tracks on my phone or live performances on YouTube. That is usually played through headphones (Bose NC700, Sennheiser Momentum 2 or Shure SE215), or Marshall Bluetooth speaker if I’m in the kitchen. Otherwise it’s in the car, or occasionally through the “proper” AV system.

All of that is absolutely “good enough” for my purposes. I will never understand those who spend thousands on hifi gear that’s based on pseudoscience.

Re. Pseudoscience, agree, definitely. 

But otherwise I think it’s the same as any disposable-income-funded hobby, whether it be golf or cars or guitars or music or yachts or astronomy or photography or whatever. The sky’s the limit, and although there’s no doubt a negative exponential diminishing returns curve, I’m also pretty sure Octa’s system sounds awe inspiring at stomach thumping volumes, and probably at low volume as well! All that money is spent on whopping tranformers and large caps and complex filter circuitry, not (thankfully) wooden cable/floor separators and magic power leads :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7798
    1 How do you listen to music? 
    Multimedia amp into a set of Q Acoustics 2020s

Neumann KH120 monitors

2 What medium do you prefer?  
    CD & Streaming

Yes

£450
    & £1600

Any nicer would cost too much

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1176
             Through my HiFi system in my man cave.  My PC and guitars are also in there.

I mostly play vinyl records because my favourite stuff is pre-CD. A lot of CDs I have are poor quality as the medium was used to compress the music so more would fit on the disc.  A well done CD (unplugged series Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Clapton) however, beats vinyl reproduction hands down. So it should too, it's just a shame that the CD medium was not used to its full potential on the majority of discs I've heard.  I don't do streaming or MP3, neither do I listen to much in the car.

Yes. 

With the exception of the turntable, I bought the rest second hand. I estimate to replace it new today would cost £12k.

Very happy with my system. Except, my stylus wore out earlier this year and I have my reserve installed.  I'll be replacing the worn one soon as I've lost the ooomph that the previous one delivered.

I notice previous posts referring to pseudoscience. None of that in my kit, quality cables yes, but no more than a musician would spend on a good guitar lead (£20 or so). No cable supports or other snake oil varieties. I enjoy my music and listen to it for a couple of hours most evenings.

My 5 guitars are modest affairs costing no more than £400 each, a H&K 18 watt amp with Celestion 12" speaker. No pedals other than a Line6 multi fx unit. I fumble about with all of this stuff and I'm certainly no musician.

Maybe I'm confirming the OP's thoughts. @Rocker, which HiFi forum are you referring to?
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3007
    I like to sit down in front of speakers and listen to an album.

Records, I've got a stonking record collection, but I can hook up an AK Jr to my amp or CD's but not so much CD's now. Most I've ripped as FLAC to the Ak.

Yup

QUAD 44/405 B&W 602s3 and an upgraded REGA type record player (300+300+450)

My system is good enough for what I want it for but I'd like to get hold of a Nytech amp 'cos my mates dad designed it. I'd also like to try some Harbeth speakers at some point but in no hurry.

. I like records that were made in c70's so I only really need a 70's grade system to hear stuff how it would have been heard when it was originally released. You can't beat the industrial design of QUAD

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037

Spotify, mostly through Bluetooth speakers, sometimes through amp/speakers, occasionally earbuds if out, closed headphones if at my desk.  Vinyl through deck, amp, speakers in sitting room.

Vinyl for pleasure, streaming for convenience

I never think to notice what I might be missing.  I'm aware of the worse sound from streaming via bluetooth speaker but it's usually while doing another activity and I'm fine with it.

Probably squeezes in under £1,000

I like to think my turntable, amp and speakers are a 'good hi-fi system', though they're probably a joke to enthusiasts.  I've had the turntable and amp for over 20 years and the speakers for close to 35 and I've not been tempted to get a better one yet.  I like what I've got, so it's more about hoping I won't need to replace anything.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Rocker said:

I am not fronting a market research project or intending to use any information for any commercial purposes.  It is purely to compose and write up a reply to the forum question about Musicians and their mediocre music replay systems.  I will post a link to my reply when it is 'up'.

Thanks. 
    1.  Various ways:  I have a half decent hifi in the back lounge. A small Anker Bluetooth speaker for when I’m pottering in the kitchen, in the garden or by the pool when on holiday. Bose QC35 headphones for the gym and an average music system in my car (which actually sounds quite good). 

Main ‘half decent’ hifi is: NAD CD player, Rega Planar 3, Arcam Bluetooth DAC, Marantz amp, Wharfdale Diamond speakers.  Cables all put together by those handsome and genius people at KaBL (remember them?). 

2. I prefer the quality of CD over everything else but can’t be bothered with them anymore. I have a reasonable CD player  and a good-ish turntable but mostly just use ‘downloaded’ tracks on Spotify in all situations, which is why I bought a phone with 512gb capacity.   I have a decent DAC (Arcam) and struggle to hear any difference between that and CD.  Maybe my ears are knackered? Thirty five years of metal gigs probably means they are. 

3. Separation could be better but overall, yes.

4. About a grand, I think. 

5. No, and no.   My current system gives me everything I need.  Might upgrade the speakers to give better separation at some point. 

6. I stole @octatonic ’s trousers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3672

In the car (iPhone / B&O in-car system), in the gym (iPhone / KZ ear buds), laptop into cheap USB speakers

I still like CD but haven't bought anything since I signed up for Apple Music.  Existing CDs have been transferred to iTune library

I think that my ears are becoming the limiting factor.  If I want to do any critical listening I transfer to the studio / monitors but I mostly want to listen to the music rather than the production.

<£100 (not counting the studio option)

Yes & yes, however, there are lots of nice shiny things that I would like but I can't afford all of them and there are things higher up the list than HiFi.

I have some spare trousers which I could donate to @octatonic ;

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    edited June 2020
    Rocker said:

1.  It depends on where I am and what I'm doing.

In the study - mp3s streamed from my NAS via a DAC into mini hifi and Bose speakers (or headphones if its getting late).
    In the sitting room - CDs or mp3s via my PiDac setup through sensible enough hifi/speakers
    In the car - mp3s from the in car HDD or micro SD or connected iPod.
    On the train -  my Sony portable player & headphones.
    In the workshop - I've got an old iPod touch in a Bose dock.

I really dislike earbuds.  I've tried various makes/models through the years (mainly in search of better portability) but now use headphones only.  I've a few pairs of Bose headphones that I use in different places.

2.  Depends on where I am -  it's not really practical to listen to CDs on the train.  I prefer CD quality to mp3s though, and can't be faffed with going back to the 60s for vinyl.  I don't use streaming services, other than Spotify sometimes to listen-before-buying.

3.  Yes.  But I don't want to get dragged into scientific listening and spending £5k to upgrade some speaker cable.   My Dad went down that rabbit hole and seemed to get more pleasure from (allegedly) hearing the difference that the upgraded speaker cable made than listening to the music itself.

4.  There isn't "a" system.    I've probably spent ~£5k on the various devices that I currently use for listening to music.

5.  Define "good"!  For me, it means a system that gives you music how and where you want it.  As I said in Ans3 - I consciously don't want to spend my life searching for the next necessary component - I'd rather enjoy listening to what I've got.

[edit]
    6.  Good luck synthesizing this range of replies into a single response for your other forum.  Although "a bit of everything, really" might do it.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
    edited June 2020

1 Bit of a mix of things: If I just want background music in the house or car then it is usually mp3s playing from my phone via aux cable or, more commonly these days, bluetooth. I do have reasonable hifi stuff to play it on though in the house and the car. If I want to actually sit down and listen then it will be vinyl played on my main hifi in the sitting room. When out and about walking (eg to work) then it is mp3s from my phone through Shure SE251s earphones.

2 As mentioned above vinyl is the main one with mp3 for convenience

3 Mostly I think

4 Main hifi (record player, amps and speakers) would be somewhere around £6 or 7k maybe to replace today but I've had most of it for more than 25 years and most of it has come second hand. Secondary home hifi would be about £1k I suppose. Car stuff would be about the same probably.

5 I think my main hifi would class as decent and I'm pretty happy with it on the whole. I feel like I've got to the point where is it minimal gains for a lot of money now. I still lust after new bits for it though. I've tried to avoid falling into the listening to the hifi rather than the music thing.

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    1, Sitting room ..................        Hifi seperates.
    Bedroom........                            ipod with B&O headphones
    Workshop ........                         Roberts dab radio cd player ipod dock.

2,  Vinyl for the sound, then CD if im feeling lazy, then streaming if i'm really lazy.

3, I am satisfied with it, but unless I have heard a certain track on another system I dont know I am missing something.

4, £2000

5, I used to go to the hifi exhibitions regularly so I have listened to a lot of "high end " systems and the sound difference compared to the cost is not justifiable in my opinion. As I am happy with my system I only "upgrade" when one of the components fail. Having said that, I remember being blown away whem I first heard a Bose sound system many years ago.

6, My main speakers are a pair of Tannoy mercury mkII which I bought off Ebay years ago for £30,  I replaced the capacitors on the crossovers,  they are a bit worse for wear but sound awesome. Back in 80's when they were made I think the cost was £170 ish. I was thinking of replacing them a few years back but the guy in the hifi shop reckoned I would have to spend £800 at least to get something equivalent   

• chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    The issue for me with some hifi is that it can be so unforgiving of the production that can then go on to inform what you listen to. Tail wagging the dog.

I ended up choosing something that can sound amazing with well produced stuff, and also allow other less well-produced to be listenable (naim supernait, b&w cm1’s, node streamer via tidal - probs £1500 all in as amp was used).

Hi-fi kit is even more eye-wateringly expensive than guitar kit!

I doubt i’ll spend much on hifi over the next decade, just replace failed kit as/when that happens.
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    edited June 2020
     Mainly via smart speaker nowadays but also via HiFi 

Streaming for convenience, CD and Vinyl when comfy with a drink. I went from NVA pre/power setup to a Naim Uniti for the convenience of a remote and streaming but still play vinyl.

I would like a little more bass but suspended floorboards might not like it and I love the tight bass I get from the Totems

About 6K

As before: I already have Naim Uniti and Project Classic Turntable, Totem Model 1 Signature speakers. If I came into any money I would consider adding a power amp into the mix and use the Naim as a pre. I've always wanted a big grippy amp and large floorstanders but space and funds have never allowed

It's Wigwam isn't it?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5685
    Rocker said:

Thanks. 
    1.) I sometimes listen to music in the car, if I'm at work I'll use bluetooth over-ear headphones connected to my iPhone, in the house I most often use AppleTV to stream music through the TV & sound system, although I've also started listening to tunes on my new MacBook - it sounds really good considering its format!

2.) Almost all my music is on iTunes now, the only exception is if I'm in the car, it's old enough not to have the ability to connect to my phone for tunes.

3.) I don't notice that I'm not hearing what I think should be there, if that makes any sense.  If a digital file is poor quality then yes I can hear the space in certain sounds - cymbal crashes are typical, but mostly I think it sounds pretty good and it's a long time since I heard an MP3 file that poor.

4.) The TV was £500 in 2013, the AppleTV about £160 a few years ago and the TV sound system probably about £200

5.) Yes, I grew up with vinyl, stereo systems were massive and often expensive.  I'm happy with how I enjoy music now, for the difference in quality you'd have to spend a fortune and move a significant piece of furniture into the room, and that's not including the storage for the records/CDs.

6.) Sad as it might be it's all about convenience, the same reason film photography was all but killed off.  While more traditional stereo systems with vinyl and CD etc might sound better I enjoy the convenience of being able to take my music anywhere and listen to it any time and in any room of the house.  It's also integrated in our lives in a way that we don't need to have large and expensive pieces of equipment taking up space like we once did so there's convenience in that too.

Hope this helps

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.