Drums & Drum Machines

What's Hot
What are you all using for drum tracks for songwriting, loop based options or drum machine?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    If I can't play acoustic drums for some reason then I sequence it in Superior Drummer.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    Does Superior Drummer have a VST into your DAW of choice?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited June 2020
    I quite fancy a Teenage Engineering PO12, a calculator sized drum machine to produce simple beats for pedal board playing and looping.
    This video's a good example of it being used:

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I had AD drums from ages,....just couldnt get on with it...trying EZ drummer 2 now which seems much more user friendly

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Superior Drummer 3 in Cubase.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Does Superior Drummer have a VST into your DAW of choice?
    Yes.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited June 2020
    I've got a variety of drum VSTs each with their own loops, but a great addition is Groove Monkey Megapack which works with all of the well known brands. 
    https://groovemonkee.com/

Sometimes I program from scratch. I've also got a book called Drummer's Bible which is good for copying ideas for programmed parts.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drummers-Bible/dp/1937276198/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's not a competition.
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    This is a free and therefore a “no risk” option. I have a number of the higher end drum VSTs including BFD3, but this often gets the job done. I love the fact that fills are matched with the first three bars automatically:

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I use a tr8s  truly a power house of a  drum machine 
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    Thanks all for the info, I have an old Roland TR606, Boss DR5 and a Zoom RT323 but want to go down more of the software route now for speed :-) 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I quite fancy a Teenage Engineering PO12, a calculator sized drum machine to produce simple beats for pedal board playing and looping.

I've just bought a Volca Sample for this very thing. Works great either through my looper or straight into the amp on the second input. 
  • Fuengi said:

I've just bought a Volca Sample for this very thing. Works great either through my looper or straight into the amp on the second input. 
    Very interesting.... I have been looking at Korg monotrons, but the Volca looks a step up. I want some thing to make simple lofi/ambienty beats to play along to an loop. How easy/complicated is it to figure out? 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    BFD3
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Thanks all for the info, I have an old Roland TR606, Boss DR5 and a Zoom RT323 but want to go down more of the software route now for speed :-) 
    Have you thought about the arturia spark,, vst and has its own controller so much faster than on screen only 
  • I use BFD3 of course. But also Superior Drummer 3, Native Instruments Battery and Polyplex, and also Reason 10 which has a ton of drum stuff in it - REDRUM is a classic for me.

Bye!

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Fuengi said:

Very interesting.... I have been looking at Korg monotrons, but the Volca looks a step up. I want some thing to make simple lofi/ambienty beats to play along to an loop. How easy/complicated is it to figure out? 
    That's exactly what I want it for. The sequencer is dead easy, even a luddite like me can work that out. I'm getting into song mode which is slightly more complicated but still just some button pressing.

Basically, if you've never used one of these things before - as I hadn't - you call up a preset sound, alter it with a few tweaks of some knobs then put it in a 16 step sequence as many times as you want. Add more sounds and set it playing.

The trickiest thing was making sure my guitar loop was spot on with the beat otherwise they start to drift apart. I bought a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter so I could take it into my amp or pedal board. 

Brilliant fun. The Drum or the FX also look good for this type of thing and all cost less than most pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

That's exactly what I want it for. The sequencer is dead easy, even a luddite like me can work that out. I'm getting into song mode which is slightly more complicated but still just some button pressing.

Basically, if you've never used one of these things before - as I hadn't - you call up a preset sound, alter it with a few tweaks of some knobs then put it in a 16 step sequence as many times as you want. Add more sounds and set it playing.

The trickiest thing was making sure my guitar loop was spot on with the beat otherwise they start to drift apart. I bought a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter so I could take it into my amp or pedal board. 

Brilliant fun. The Drum or the FX also look good for this type of thing and all cost less than most pedals. 
     Sounds ideal. Another item on the gas list, thanks man! 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    SSD 5.5 is a free demo version, good sounding basic kits. I think some loops are included.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I use both Superior Drummer 3 and Native Instruments Abbey Road (all variants).  The NI stuff sounds great with very little messing, but the SD3 sounds better, but with a lot more messing.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    At the moment I use the free MT Powerkit VST, but may try Spitfire LABS or Slate Drums which are either free or have a limited free version.

For a long time I used to steal drums off midi files and play them in Synthfont, exporting them as a wav. Which was far too involved for me.

Back in my four-track cassette days I recorded the drums from a Yamaha keyboard I had.