reccomend me a router please

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited June 2020 in Making & Modding
Im putting together the items I need for a new build and I have a body and neck template on order.

I do have a 1/4inch cheap trimmer router but I dont think it will be good enough for a full build.

so I am looking for a good 1/2 inch router that is not too expensive does anyone have any recommendations or a used one they want to part with
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1798
    I was in the same position as you a couple of years back and bought a Bosch POF1200. They’re about £65 or so and work really well. Comes with a plunge base and good speed control. 

Remember you’ll need a load of cutters too though. That soon adds up. I got mine from Axminster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27615
    Don't write off the "1/4inch cheap router" - my original router, bought from B&Q sometime back in the 80s is still going strong, and that was a cheapy no-name at the time.

It's reasonably light and so easy to use, but is  still powerful enough to do everything needed in making a guitar, albeit sometimes you need to take smaller cuts.

I've also got one of these ...
    https://shop.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/product/router-gof-1600-ce--100023293--0601624060
    ... which is an absolute brute and correspondingly expensive.

Rutlands have offers on their own-brand routers from time to time.  Here's one for £100.  With a 2-year warranty.
    https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+precision-147;234;-router-2200w-variable-speed-with-fine-height-adjuster+R5001

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    And I’ve just realised that the POF I got is only 1/4” but it was perfectly adequate for what I’ve done with it
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    TTony said:
    Don't write off the "1/4inch cheap router" - my original router, bought from B&Q sometime back in the 80s is still going strong, and that was a cheapy no-name at the time.

It's reasonably light and so easy to use, but is  still powerful enough to do everything needed in making a guitar, albeit sometimes you need to take smaller cuts.

Maybe I could use my existing router. it is relativity powerful (it is the one in the photo) but does not have the plunge fitting and the base is small making it difficult to control sometimes. but I saw you can get a table insert plate to fit it so mounting it into a table may give me more control.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I also have the Bosch POF 1200E. Thus far I’ve done neck & Pickup routes with it. For the money t seems pretty good. 

Still want a Trend one though 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I've got a 1/2" Festool router that is overkill for most guitar building jobs. For things like pickup and control cavities and neck pockets a 1/4" palm router is much easier to use. You do need the plunge facility IMO with an accurate depth gauge.
    phil_b said:

Maybe I could use my existing router. it is relativity powerful (it is the one in the photo) but does not have the plunge fitting and the base is small making it difficult to control sometimes. but I saw you can get a table insert plate to fit it so mounting it into a table may give me more control.

That looks more like a little edge trimmer
    ;)

I’ve *never* used a router table in guitar building (though, obvs, it’s a perfectly good way of doing it).  But unless you’ve already got a table, a decent one of those isn’t cheap, and you’ve still got to buy the router to go into it.

A plunge base is pretty much essential. The Rutlands one I linked to above is looking good (though you don’t really need 1/2” for occasional guitar building) or perhaps the Bosch POF ... watch Amazon for deals.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    You can make sub-bases from plexi sheet, makes trimmers much better to use, no teetering around. I've a spare router base screwed to a plexi base. Just plop a body in there and go.
    Tables are great, but wouldn't be a thing you'd use for the whole of a build.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8723
    My routers are 1/4”. I’ve never seen the need for anything more powerful. 

I’m not sure that a trimmer on its own is up to the job. You really need a plunging router to cut out the cavities, and route around the sides of a 2“ thick body blank. I’ve got the Makita equivalent of your Bosch, and it comes with a plunging base. That might save you buying a second router ... for the moment.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited June 2020
    ok something like the bosh 1200 should be powerful enough but what about bits.

I dont seem to be able to find a 1/4 shaft bit with a bearing that is long enough to cut a 2 inch thick body, they all seem to stop at 1 inch.?

or do I need to cut it in stages
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8723
    Cut in stages, initially with a top bearing bit. Start with a template glued/clamped to the body blank, and trim the blank with the bearing running on the template. Then remove the template and cut the next stage with the bearing along the edge you’ve just cut. If the body is thick, and there’s still more to cut, then turn the body over and use a bottom bearing bit from the other side.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    phil_b said:
    ok something like the bosh 1200 should be powerful enough but what about bits.

I dont seem to be able to find a 1/4 shaft bit with a bearing that is long enough to cut a 2 inch thick body, they all seem to stop at 1 inch.?

or do I need to cut it in stages
    I'd never try to cut a 2" thick body in one pass.

If you're trimming 1-2mm off the edge of the body, then you might do that in 3-4 passes - remembering to change direction of cut as the router gets to different parts of the body.

If you're routing out an internal cavity, I'll generally do 3-4mm at a time rather than going in deep.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited June 2020
    This is my router, a trusty old 1/4" Elu MOF96. (Not my pic btw)

https://i.imgur.com/C07eMiI.jpg

I've had this thing over 25 years, it's built all my guitars, it's built a lot of my house and it's made furniture.
    It's my favourite tool. The only time I considered a bigger router was when there was a particular shaped bit I wanted and it only came in 1/2" shank. It was cheaper just to change the shape I wanted!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I'd second the 1/4' Makita with the slide off base - I use it for loads of stuff and its very good indeed.
    I also have a Trend 1/2 job in the router table which Ive used for truss rod channels - but the Makita is much easier to use for routing cavities and can do the truss rod channel easily too.  There is a cheap Katsu copy of the Makita which is OK too. 
    You can buy a plunge base for the Makita too if you need it.  its easy to fit plexiglass plates to the base of the Makita router for more stability for tricky surface jobs. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16726
    I got this set ages ago and it does almost everything I could ask of it

https://www.axminstertools.com/bosch-gkf-600-palm-router-kit-1-4-te-600-plunge-base-package-deal-ax923100

Nice to have a choice between fixed and plunging bases.

I have a big half inch router for my thicknessing jig, but that's all it gets used for.

thank you everyone for your replies it really has helped me out a lot

I am going to get the Bosch POF1200.and an assortment of bits I was a little worried I needed to spend a fortune and my build plans would be over before they started

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I have the small Makita trimmer, with the fixed (trimmer) base, and the plunge base. I build guitars as a hobby, so speed is not a huge factor for me. For the pickup/neck pockets etc it's absolutely fine. For routing the body from a template it was slow - I was using a 1" template/pattern bit but cutting less than an inch at a time. If I was to try to do this professionally I'd want something bigger and more powerful (and, more importantly, better bits), but for my use the little Makita is great. I agree with the above that a plunge base is very helpful (although not strictly essential perhaps).
    phil_b said:
    thank you everyone for your replies it really has helped me out a lot

I am going to get the Bosch POF1200.and an assortment of bits I was a little worried I needed to spend a fortune and my build plans would be over before they started

You’ll be right with that. I built my guitar body using the POF and a couple of bearing straight cutters and a round over bearing cutter. 
  • UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
    Once you try a Festool router you'll never buy another brand ever again. It just depends on what your usage will be and if the investment is worth it. I made all my original guitars with a 'cheap' Axminster 1/2" router and a small Trend 1/4". Now I would only use Festool stuff. They really are that good and make everything go better. 
    UncleBiff said:
    Once you try a Festool router you'll never buy another brand ever again. It just depends on what your usage will be and if the investment is worth it. I made all my original guitars with a 'cheap' Axminster 1/2" router and a small Trend 1/4". Now I would only use Festool stuff. They really are that good and make everything go better. 
    i probably only going to build 1 or 2 guitars , Festool is way beyond my budget but for that type of investment I would be better off just buying a high end guitar