WARNING: Boring Content

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 659
edited June 2020 in Technique
If the idea of watching someone play to a metronome fills you with dread, don't go any further... wink 

Been checking out triad pairs recently and thought I'd better start going through the usual routine to really get them under my fingers.

Frets 1-5 (this is great as it gives every possibility), all 12 keys through the cycle of 4ths. It's a tough old exercise but great for working on a lot of stuff at once. A fair few rough moments (perfection is overrated anyway), who wants to spot blooper? 

Better get to work on minor, diminished and augmented next bawling 

https://youtu.be/ONl9poJEOY0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    Strangely compelling, I watched to thr end. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    You deserve a medal sir!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited June 2020
    Yes strangely compelling. I'm sure I couldn't maintain that exercise without fluffing. 
    Nice elegant right hand 'fingers in' technique as well. I wish I could do that and I practice that way, but naturally I'm an inelegant 'fingers out' flailing about player.
    It's not a competition.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Good stuff, I remember Hexatonics being an indepth look at triad pairs by Jerry Bergonzi.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Strangely compelling... I like that smile I guess these days I try and make any exercises vaguely musical in some way (like how a horn player might approach it) or impose certain restrictions etc. Rather than running up and down scales to the sharp end of a metronome - which is cool of course. 

Another thing I wanted to get across is the idea of doing stuff ‘in all 12 keys’. We get told to do this but I’ve very rarely seen examples of how it’s done, unless I’ve not looked hard enough. I like to start everything in frets 1-5 as it covers pretty much every eventuality, it’s incredibly thorough. Then it’s a case of transferring things across the neck to cover the fretboard. 

@stratman3142 I struggle myself as I’m not great with these type of things. This took a little while for sure and it’s definitely a mindset thing which I like to work on too. Flailing fingers or not, what matters is if the end result is there, as far as I’m concerned :smile: 
    GuyBoden said:
    Good stuff, I remember Hexatonics being an indepth look at triad pairs by Jerry Bergonzi.
    Bergonzi is great, although I never checked out his hexatonic stuff. I’m really enjoying the Jazz Duets material by Nick Homes, great lines/concepts and very musical. He has a fair bit of stuff aimed at us guitarists but even the stuff that isn’t is really accessible.  
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    I agree
    I agree
    Thanks guys. Perhaps it's because I was so close to disaster on so many occasions! haha.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited June 2020
    This is great! It reminded me of Joep Franssens’ wonderful piece, Harmony of the Spheres, which also cycles through the keys, very very slowly, like the slowly rotating orbs of the sky - it’s fantastic. I think it’s the 5th movement that I love most of all; I’ll try and find it. 

Edit:
    https://youtu.be/cr5YlGY8LWY

It’s fun listening for each flattened fourth as the gear clicks round to the next key - the first one happening in the bass at 0:38, when it shifts from E major to A major with that D# slipping down to D. 

I enjoyed listening to your exercise in the same way. Bravo!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    This is great! It reminded me of Joep Franssens’ wonderful piece, Harmony of the Spheres, which also cycles through the keys, very very slowly, like the slowly rotating orbs of the sky - it’s fantastic. I think it’s the 5th movement that I love most of all; I’ll try and find it. 

Edit:
    https://youtu.be/cr5YlGY8LWY

It’s fun listening for each flattened fourth as the gear clicks round to the next key - the first one happening in the bass at 0:38, when it shifts from E major to A major with that D# slipping down to D. 

I enjoyed listening to your exercise in the same way. Bravo!
    Utterly beautiful man, I see those rotating orbs too :smile: thanks for sharing!
    edited June 2020
    Slightly tangential but in terms of simple chord progressions of 4ths the longest chain I’ve found is the bit in the middle of ACDC’s Can I Sit Next To You Girl which has D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb. 

The longest clockwise one would be Hey Joe (C-G-D-A-E). 

If anyone’s got any longer chains I’d love to know them!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Slightly tangential but in terms of simple chord progressions of 4ths I’ve found is the bit in the middle of ACDC’s Can I Sit Next To You Girl which has D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb. 

The longest clockwise one would be Hey Joe (C-G-D-A-E). 

If anyone’s got any longer chains I’d love to know them!
    Now that’s a good question. I’m sure there will something... 
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    a great book you might want to check if not done already is Walt Weiskopf Aebersold intervallic improvisation. The most to the point practical bit on triadic harmony I've found.

Just watching this again, it’s awesome. I wish I had that skill. 
    edited June 2020
    viz said:
    Just watching this again, it’s awesome. I wish I had that skill. 
    Ah far too kind man! smile And don’t do yourself down, I’ve no doubt you’ve got the skills!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    When I tried to run the video, nothing happened.  Do I need to sign up to Instagram or whatever the host platform is?  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Way over my head. I have no clue what was going on. I'm worse than useless on theory.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Brad said:
    If the idea of watching someone play to a metronome fills you with dread, don't go any further... wink 

Been checking out triad pairs recently and thought I'd better start going through the usual routine to really get them under my fingers.

Frets 1-5 (this is great as it gives every possibility), all 12 keys through the cycle of 4ths. It's a tough old exercise but great for working on a lot of stuff at once. A fair few rough moments (perfection is overrated anyway), who wants to spot blooper? 

Better get to work on minor, diminished and augmented next :bawling: 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBmAVl7JfYc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I've done something similar - it takes massive concentration - warmest congratulation sir !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    @Rocker - strange I wouldn’t have thought so,  but I’ve replaced it with a YouTube link instead which should do the trick. Hope it’s not a let down!

@axisus we all were at some point! Happy to explain a little further, no probs if not though. 

@Jalapeno - why thank you! Yeah the concentration is the killer, particularly with the click. Those moments where you either constantly break down at the same point, or you switch off for a slight moment towards the end and make a silly mistake (that bloody F# instead of D!). 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Brad said:

@axisus we all were at some point! Happy to explain a little further, no probs if not though. 

Thanks, but I'm 57, I gave up on theory long ago. I honestly think I have theory dyslexia, it's like it's all written in Chinese!